On the bench...

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by jhmhrv, Nov 27, 2017.

1. jhmhrv

jhmhrv
    Expand Collapse

Hi, just found this website and am eager to glean some knowledge from you members. My spouse and I are new to the RV game getting our new-to-us MH in August. But we have yet to get off the bench (were on injured reserve -- the motor home had issues!:confused:) She's now in storage and winterized awaiting our travel time. In the mean time, we do spend many warm months at a lake. Our plan is to begin travel in the MH in the fall and winters. After knotting up loose ends with work, we'll be free in May...I hope!! :)

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Glad to have you aboard. There are a lot of folks here that are willing to share their knowledge and opinions. You are welcome to participate and we look forward to you documenting your travels with reviews.

Darrell

jhmhrv likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

A big welcome on board jhmhrv. Sorry to hear about your delay in getting started but once the RV is out of winter storage no doubt you'll be out there amongst the rest of us and enjoying the RV lifestyle, etc. Be sure to write reviews on the parks and campgrounds you visit and also be sure to join in the fun we all have here on the forum....................

Safe and happy travels, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

jhmhrv likes this.
  4. jhmhrv

jhmhrv
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, guys. Can't wait so doing a couple remods to get ready.
    FYI: A brand new campground opened near me. It's in Cimarron, Kansas...Cimarron RV Park. I'm not assocated with it nor have stayed there, but it looks like a good start to it. Trying to help the local community and small businesses. I saw it has 40 & 60 ft gravel pads. water, sewer, 50 & 30 amp for sure. Showers and laundry on site. A grocery store across street and Sonic and other good sit down restaurants dwn the street. $25 day, $150 week, $475 mo. So if anyone is heading through on Hwy 50 and need a break, give it a go. That may be my first review when we hook up on a maiden voyage to see what else needs fixed!

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Rather than making this post where few will see it, why not consider using the Contact RVPR link at the bottom of this page and sending this information to our Help Desk? That will prompt them to put this new park into our database so a lot more people can learn about it.

jhmhrv likes this.
  6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I believe the first trip out every season should be close to home. It seems there is always something that was removed from the rig and not put back.

We are just about ready to start full timing so our problem is now the opposite. I now ask why we need two of these. I am sure, in a couple of months, we will have unloaded all the extras that we seemed to think we needed.

Good luck with your renos and dont forget......someone here has probable done what you need to do already so feel free to pick our brains.

Darrell

jhmhrv likes this.
  7. jhmhrv

jhmhrv
    Expand Collapse

Thank you! I will try that. I wasn't sure how to do that since I haven't posted a review yet. Appreciate it!

8. jhmhrv

jhmhrv
    Expand Collapse

We were hit with some pricey suspension issues then battery, then etc. By the time it was fixed, cold weather settled in, so we decided to just slow down, fiddle around with easy tasks and wait. Haven't even ran water through her or fired up furnace, water heater, fridge. It will be interesting!!
    Good luck in your new venture. Safe travels; happy life!

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Being new to RVing and going into your first winter with one, make sure to go thru your winter checklist with regards to winterizing it. Lot to do to do in this area. If you have questions about what to do or how to to do it, just ask. If the area you live in tends to get damp you might consider buying a dehumidifier and run it to keep mold from forming or anything made of wood inside from sucking up moisture and perhaps having joints come apart, etc. We are hooked into shore power at the house so we usually run a small electric space heater and set ii to around 55 degrees or so to help keep the cold out Make sure to run the generator every so often also AND, put some "Stabil" or other gas preservative into the tank and run it thru the engine and generator before you button things up. I'll stop here as you probably already have a checklist you will be using to make sure the old home on wheels is ready to fire up in the spring and get you going off on your first trip. Most of it is just plain old common sense and again, if you have questions or are uncertain about something, just ask and you will get a bunch of responses from some very knowledgeable members................

BankShot.................(aka Terry)

jhmhrv likes this.
  10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! If your travels happen to go east we have folks that can point you in the right direction, as we have many attractions worth seeing! :cool:

See you around the campfire!

Mike

jhmhrv likes this.
  11. jhmhrv

jhmhrv
    Expand Collapse

..... put some "Stabil" or other gas preservative into the tank and run it thru the engine and generator before you button things up. I'll stop here as you probably already have a checklist you will be using to make sure the old home on wheels is ready to fire up in the spring and get you going off on your first trip. Most of it is just plain old common sense and again, if you have questions or are uncertain about something, just ask and you will get a bunch of responses from some very knowledgeable members................

BankShot.................(aka Terry)[/QUOTE]

We have most of this done...plugged in and letting the Magnum inverter/charger/ etc. do its thing with the batteries (we still watch them). I've heard both schools about driving it periodically (diesel). Need to make sure tires are properly inflated, too. The heater idea is good, but I'm a little leary since we're not right with it to monitor. It does get cold here, but it is fairly dry. We are putting some moisture absorb tubs in just in case. I'm sure i have missed something. Spring thaw will bring more questions, i'm sure!!
    By the way, BankShot---pool reference, basketball, craps?

BankShot likes this.
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We have most of this done...plugged in and letting the Magnum inverter/charger/ etc. do its thing with the batteries (we still watch them). I've heard both schools about driving it periodically (diesel). Need to make sure tires are properly inflated, too. The heater idea is good, but I'm a little leary since we're not right with it to monitor. It does get cold here, but it is fairly dry. We are putting some moisture absorb tubs in just in case. I'm sure i have missed something. Spring thaw will bring more questions, i'm sure!!
    By the way, BankShot---pool reference, basketball, craps?[/QUOTE]

We run that small heater only when we are doing something in or right at the coach but never leave it unattended as you mentioned being leery about doing that. Glad you are basically prepped for winter as noted but as you said, there always seems to be something we also miss doing on occasion. BankShot is derived from my days many years ago playing the game of pool. I was pretty good at making bank shots and the nickname came to stick with those that knew me. I also used it as my "handle" back when I was into CB radio and had a home setup with a kinda-sorta illegal high power linear amplifier sending skip signals all around the country, etc. BankShot just seemed to fit that situation also.......

All the best, BankShot.................(aka Terry)

Rollin Ollens and jhmhrv like this.
  13. jhmhrv

jhmhrv
    Expand Collapse

... BankShot just seemed to fit that situation also.......

All the best, BankShot.................(aka Terry)[/QUOTE]

I see. No CB in our rig anymore. Previous owners took it. I was curious since athletics/coaching/teaching has been a huge part of our lives. "Bank shot"- not sure how many millions of times we had to remind the athletes to use the glass!! o_O
    Have a great Christmas and New Year's. Safe travels, happy life!

14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I see. No CB in our rig anymore. Previous owners took it. I was curious since athletics/coaching/teaching has been a huge part of our lives. "Bank shot"- not sure how many millions of times we had to remind the athletes to use the glass!! o_O
    Have a great Christmas and New Year's. Safe travels, happy life![/QUOTE]

I still have all my equipment tucked away but haven't used it in many years. CB radio is not what it once was and with the advent of cell phones out on the road, etc. CB has fallen by the wayside over the past years. Lots of BB players get quite good at making a bank shot off the glass for sure but it does take practice and learning angles to do so.................

You and your family enjoy a really nice Christmas and New Years also............ :D

Terry..............(aka BankShot)

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  15. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

When you say CB @BankShot you mean a Two Way right............:D

16. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Correct. Although a "two way" can become a three way or more ways depending on how many people get involved.......... :p "CB" of course stands for "Citizen's Band" a term adopted when this type of wireless radio communication was developed and adapted for public use. It was really big here in the states back in the 60s thru the 80s but with the advent of the cell phone it quickly fell by the wayside. I still see an RV with one on rare occasions...........

Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  17. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Nice one Terry.....thats gold:D