"Heading Out"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Jan 16, 2018.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just to let everyone know we are heading out early Friday morning for a trip south to the San Diego area to visit with family. Will be gone about 8-10 days. Got one stretch of road to be concerned about and that will be Hwy 58 heading east out of Bakersfield, CA. The Tehachapis Mountain range has to be crossed over and there is snow, icy rain, and temps in the mid 20s in the forecast for the day we are to travel thru that area. Have done the snow thing several times and am okay driving in it as I know the coach and how it handles etc. but I am a tad concerned by the fact the road might be iced over and that as we all know can be tricky driving to say the least. Anyway, if it looks too nasty we'll just hunker down in Bakersfield an extra day and do that part when the snow has let up and we know the road is clear and good to go................

Be back aboard the forum when we return. In the meantime be well everyone and try to keep that "man from the land of OZ" under control if you can. I'll have to catch up on what he's been up to :eek: when we return...:D

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

#1 BankShot, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    FosterImposters likes this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Have a great (and careful!) trip, Terry!

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

That patch of road is a long climb. We drove it about a month ago. It was really busy with rigs of all kinds and lots of Semi Trailers. I hope the Highway Department has it well maintained for you. Drive safe!

Darrell & Jerry

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys & gals. We've driven this stretch of highway many times over the years but not when it will be snowing, along with both icy rain and temps in the mid 20s so we'll for sure be extremely careful and we will be calling ahead for a weather status that morning. We normally gas up in Tehachapi at the Love's Travel Stop and I can call them to find out what's going on before we leave Bakersfield. I don't mind the snow, it's the freezing rain that concerns me. We can drive, and have driven, in snow but motorhomes and icy roads don't go together very well. This will be a first for us driving in those conditions............:eek:

Terry...............(aka BankShot)

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Take it slow and safe Terry!

Mike

6. Vicki K

Vicki K
    Expand Collapse

Have a safe and fun trip! Not sure I would be brave enough to travel through mountains with snow/ice! Stay safe!

7. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Be safe and have a great trip Terry.

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks again to all who posted on this thread. We're back and the snow and icy rains we had been advised of crossing thru the Tehachapis never happened, we had clear sailing thru the area both going and coming back. About froze my old behind off however gassing up at the Love's Travel Stop in Tehachapi. Of course my significant other and co-pilot sat inside the coach sipping a hot cup of coffee while I slowly froze into an almost solid block of ice............ :eek: Great to be back on the road again and we most certainly looking towards out next venture out that is right around the corner.................

Regards to all, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Good to hear all went well. It's a little chilly here right now too. 14 degrees C We are in Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico. It is supposed to get warmer again. 28 for tomorrow....we hope.

Where to on your next adventure?

Darrell & Jerry

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We haven't taken the coach down into Mexico as yet but have thought about doing so. 14 F is chilly for sure but 14 C would be a heat wave for us right now. Hope you are enjoying your stay there and are partaking of some fine Mexican food and a few margaritas perhaps......... :rolleyes:

We are looking at the ocean for this next trip. Trying now to find a place that doesn't have us taking out a loan on the house to get into or that doesn't cram RVs in like sardines in a can. Some nice ones for sure but I refuse to pay the prices some of them have. We'll find something and if not we can always go back to Bodega Bay where we've been before. An ocean fix is an ocean fix and we did enjoy our stay there, and at a reasonable price also...........

All the best to you folks, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

11. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

The 14 was C. :) but still a little cool compared to what is has been. We should be around 24 - 28 C the rest of the week.

I am staying at a place right now that is right on the most beautiful beach I has seen in a long time. Dry camping but the drinking water is good. There is a dump station on site and Ièm paying $12.00 US per night. It is less expensive if you stay a month. The sea food tastes great, Booze cheap and the sun is very warm.

I can pm you the name of the park if you want. We are leaving in about a week to carry on our travels.

Darrell & Jerry