" Electrical Short or ? "

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BankShot, Feb 15, 2018.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thought I'd ask the forum this question to see if I am correct in my thinking? Our three camera rear camera system has started "acting up". On our last trip when we would leave from a location and turned it on it will work fine for about an hour or so. Then without warning it will go off. Not just the camera screen but the lighted adjustment buttons that are under the screen also go off. We will pull into the next rest stop or find a place safe to pull over, shut off the engine, restart the engine, and turn the camera back on. It immediately comes on and works fine for another hour or so and then does the same thing. In my thinking this tells me there is an electrical short somewhere in the wiring? Could I be correct in this assumption. You electrical guys and gals can jump in and give my your thinking on this if you will. We are taking the coach in for some service work and will have this checked out then but just wanted some input from the forum before we do so I can talk somewhat intelligently with them about it. Thanks for any advice or thoughts on what else might be happening. We don't want to have to replace the camera system if it is just an electrical short...............

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

IMHO electrical issues that "reset" themselves when you turn things off and then on again are NOT simple shorts. Since I don't know anything about the specific camera system you have all I can do is speculate. My hunch is that the device's internal power supply is overloading causing it to shut down. When you restart you clear the overload and the cycle starts again. Does the camera operate without the engine being on? If so, you could test to see if this problem is repeatable without the engine running. That would make it easier to diagnose.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Joel - What you say sounds logical to me. Didn't think about seeing if it comes on with the engine not running but will definitely try that. I have a feeling that we are going to be replacing the dash unit itself but hopefully it won't come to that. Will post on this thread as to the results once we get it in and diagnosed, etc................

Regards, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE: We finally got the motorhome in to have the camera system checked. After two days it was found that the monitor in the dash has something gone haywire inside and that's why it keeps shutting down when we are on the road. Thankfully when we bought the coach we took out a six year extended warranty and it will be covered under this warranty. The shop is currently looking for the proper replacement. This is what we were hoping for as the original monitor for some reason showed a foreign language (looked like Russian) for everything which of course we couldn't read plus that language was backwards on the screen. Go figure that one out. Would love to know how all that came together at the factory..........:rolleyes: So all's well that ends well and the next time we hit the road at least we'll be able to read the various wording as we use the new one. Or at least I hope we don't get another one with Russian innards......... :D

BankShot............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Our rear camera monitor has a menu selection for language that includes a number of choices. I don't recall Russian being one of them but Hebrew is, and it's correctly written right to left on the screen. I suspect the language problem with yours was just the result of an inadvertent button push at some point.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey there Dutch - That's what we thought when we first noticed it however there is no settings or button to push to change the language to English. Even had a shop tech look at it one time and it baffled the heck out of him. We just lived with it all these years but now getting a new one will resolve that issue as well. You are most likely correct in saying it is Hebrew as it does read from right to left as the Hebrew language is written. It just looks like Russian to us........

Regards, Terry...................(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE: Got a call this morning from CW regarding the status of our coach. It's been in the shop 5 weeks this Monday as it took them a while to locate the right in dash monitor for our camera system. It's in and working fine and is an updated model from the same mfgr. The tech who installed it said it was a better unit with better color and image detail and that we will be very happy with it. Then he gave us some added info. Said that in testing the system he found that the rear camera is not working properly and should also be replaced. I've noticed on our last few trips that it's not as clear as the two side cameras are nor does it have the color detail either but never really thought much about it as it worked fine from my perspective. Anyway, a new one is on order and will be installed early this next week and then we get to go pick it up. I am looking forward to seeing what the visual differences are with the new monitor as well as the new rear camera. Sure glad we took out that extended warranty when we bought as it's payed for itself by now...............

BankShot............(aka Terry)

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Update #2: After 7-1/2 weeks we finally got our coach back from CW. The biggest holdup was the in-dash monitor and one of the outside cameras, the rear one. Everything got done that was supposed to be done and it all "works" (miracle of miracles...:eek:). We had the full length slide out serviced and it opens and closes a tad quieter than it did so we are pleased about that. So now we are going to sit down and try to squeeze in a short trip to somewhere that is within just a day's drive as we have some appointments to keep all during May and we can't stay gone very long. Big problem is there aren't really any parks or campgrounds within a day's drive that we really care much to stay at due to either being overcrowded, run down, or you have to make reservations at least 2 months out to get in. We'll do our best but we may just have to be patient and wait till we head north to Oregon in July for a couple of weeks or more. Don't much like waiting that long but sometimes things just happen to where one has to. Onward with gusto........ :D

BankShot................(aka Terry

mdcamping, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We're glad to hear that you are now able to get back on the road. At least now, you will have a trouble free rig to run. Enjoy that Oregon Coast and watch out for the crazies!

Darrell & Jerry

mdcamping and NYDutch like this.
  10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry glad to hear your MH is back up and running!

Were you able to find a campground close by? At the very least if the campground turns out to be so so you could break out the corkscrew :D :p

Mike

#10 mdcamping, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    BankShot likes this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

----------------------------------------------------------

We are still "looking" but so far nothing we'd care to spend more than just one night at. I think what we'll just have to do in that it took so long to do the repairs is to wait it out till July and then add a few extra days and nights to that trip. We can still use the old corkscrew right here on the deck as the weather in the evenings this past week has been wonderful evening wine sipping weather. Haven't tossed in the towel yet and are still searching, but we are close to doing so. We probably sound like a couple of RV snobs but really we ain't............really.........:rolleyes:

Safe travels Mike, Terry..............(aka Bankshot)

12. Daniel-J

Daniel-J
    Expand Collapse

I was curious to read it. It's great that you have all the necessary parts replaced and everything works properly!