Sault Ste. Marie KOA owner sour grapes...

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by The Travellers, Jun 19, 2018.

1. The Travellers

The Travellers
    Expand Collapse

I posted a review on this campground and the owner took offense to the comments I made about his campground. The fact that my comments were true did not please him. He replied by making it sound like I didn't know what I was talking about which is funny considering other reviews make mention of the narrowness of the sites and the tight turns in this campground.
    Some people just can't handle the truth.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Well that's puzzling; The park owner's response seems to be quite reasonable in my opinion, and I didn't find any other reviews referring to tight sites or roads going back as far as 2015. A review a couple before yours even mentions the improvements that have been made, including widening turns, etc. Am I missing something?

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/ontario/sault-ste-marie/sault-stemarie-koa-6901

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I for sure don't want to be starting anything but after reading several prior reviews I have to agree with NYDUTCH. Believe me we have run into a park or two along our way that has warranted a poor review for not living up to what their website says it is, etc. At the same time what we look for in a park is not always the same as what others may look for or expect. I feel the owner responded to your review and it was a fair response due to the fact that so many previous reviews had given the park pretty high marks overall. Not every park can please every RVer and to me the best thing that could happen would be to go back and give the park another chance perhaps. Meet with the owner and talk it out instead of letting bad feelings continue. That's my two cents worth on this. Please know that I am not taking sides here either, rather just voicing an opinion based on what I read from all sides. Hope your next stop is more to your liking. :DRvers are mo betta than :mad:Rvers................

All the best and safe travels, BankShot............(aka Terry)

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

In fairness, I did find one mention of the roads being "a little tight" for their 36' 5-ver in a 2014 review, and a mention of a site that was "a little narrow" in 2007 review. Overall though this park has 32 "Excellent" reviews, 14 "Good" reviews, and just 2 "Average" reviews, with zero "Poor" or "Terrible", so they must be doing somethings right at least. There were even fewer than usual complaints about the KOA pricing! ;)

5. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The Travellers, I noticed in your review that you barely fit your tow vehicle and 30 ft trailer in site 22 (a pull-through). Good Sam shows the pull-through sites at this campground to be 25 X 60. Doesn't sound like they are 60 ft long if you barely fit. Some of the sites must be long enough though, as there is an RVPR review from Aug 2017 where a 37 ft class A and tow fit okay. Guess I will find out for myself when I stay there in July.

6. westernvparkownertake2

westernvparkownertake2
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about the new username, but the change in the system that no longer allows sign in by username locked me out and that email address I used for that account is long gone, both in my memory and the email service itself.
    Almost by definition a 25 x 60 site is close quarters. Parking pads usually are between 12 and 15 feet wide. That would leave a yard that is 10 to 13 feet wide, which is adequate, but hardly estate sized. Of course the rig barely fit in a sixty foot site since their trailer is 30 feet, there is usually a 3 foot or so tongue and if they had a full size PU or large SUV they would have a tow vehicle 20+ feet long. That makes the rig close to 55 feet in total length. That would fill a 60 foot site, but so what? Isn't that the purpose of disclosing how long a site is, so the guest can determine if they fit or not?
    It sure appears that readily available information regarding site size was available to the reviewer. The fact that a 25 x 60 site was actually 25 x 60 really shouldn't be an issue that warrants a negative review.
    As a side note, this is why I am adamantly opposed to responding to reviews. It is a no win situation. The reviewer will take offense. It will look like the responding party is making excuses and in the end nothing is gained.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I suggest that anyone concerned about tight sites or roads at that park take a look at the Goggle Maps satellite view and make up their own mind. I don't know what GS uses for their site dimensions, but the park does seem to have a variety of both lengths and widths with few, if any, looking "tight".

Sault Ste. Marie KOA

8. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

Heres a screen grab from another source and another unhappy camper 2017 .... when your running a business its impossible to keep everyone happy. See attached. Screenshot 2018-06-22 08.43.18.png

9. westernvparkownertake2

westernvparkownertake2
    Expand Collapse

I love the part where if he was in the US he would be filing charges with the Attorney General because apparently the Park assigned him a site he didn't think he could comfortably pull into. I sure have a lot of lawsuits to file because I feel that way every time I park my Bentley at Walmart. I always worry someone is going to ding it with a runaway shopping cart. Good to know the Montana Attorney General has jurisdiction over this issue. And people wonder why business owners often have mixed feelings about the general public.

NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I know what you mean about parking the Bentley in a Walmart lot. We cringe every time we go thru the McDonald's drive thru and rip the AC unit off. We've tried bolting it down with extra bolts but that doesn't help at all. Think I'll try installing a quick disconnect for it so it doesn't keep on happening...:rolleyes:

DUH..........BankShot...........(aka Joe Bofongello)

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just saw the opposite accure on our last trip. entrance bridge to our side of the campground had a max length rating of 42'. Guy comes in with a new 45'DP and insistes he can make it across. Camp host warns him several times "your doing it on your own risk". well after several trys he couldn't do it, then he desides to do a loop through the campground and come back to try it in the other direction which he finally and barely made it. Park rangers were not happy that the camp hosts let this guy through.

If he got DP stuck on the bridge half the campground would have been stranded.... and I might be still camping ;) :D

Mike

#11 mdcamping, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018