Login Change Wednesday July 18 - Single Sign On

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I wanted to let you know about a change coming next Wednesday. As you know a few weeks ago we made a change to logins to require members to login using e-mail address and password rather than a username.

This was the first step towards building a more secure login and also the basis for what is to come.

Starting soon, a single sign on will be used if you have separate accounts on sites under the RV LIFE umbrella. This will allow you to log onto all of these websites with the same login information. This means that RVPR members will be able to login to the new RV Life app (coming soon), Trip Wizard (if they have an account) or RVPR with one single account. If you are using two sites at once as is often the case during trip planning, this will substantially smooth this process for you.

In the coming months we will add RV discussion forums to the network as well and upon logging into one of these sites for the first time, you will see screens asking you to affirm the login and if you have multiple addresses or usernames, make some choices about what set you would like to use.

Accounts won’t be joined at the expense of privacy. In fact, the new system offers enhanced security.

Next Wednesday as you login you will see this new login and some screens explaining the change as well as links to read faqs if you have questions. Currently the new login will affect RVPR, RV Trip Wizard, The RVPR Mobile app and when released, the new RV Life app.

Members will be able to update e-mail addresses or passwords in the usual ways and for the most part this should be seamless but I wanted to give you a heads up in case there are questions or concerns.

NYDutch and mdcamping like this.
  2. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for the heads up. How exciting. I'm sure there'll be questions but we'll figure them out. Easier access for members to all the RV Life sites w/better security. I like that.

Lori-

mdcamping likes this.
  3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I presume that nothing you will do will prevent us from using our existing logins on these sites if we choose not to link them? I have a current trip on RV Trip Wizard and I would be very distressed if I were to lose access to it.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

ALERT! I just experienced the change and it didn't work quite the way I expected. I couldn't log into RVPR since it insisted that I use "your RV Life login". I then went to my RV Trip Wizard account and copied my login which I then used successfully to log into RVPR. I guess if I didn't have a Trip Wizard account, I wouldn't have seen a change, but if I didn't use Last Pass as a password manager I never would have know the Trip Wizard PW since it was the default used at the time the account was established.

As you add other Social Knowledge sites to this RVLife login process you ought to warn people which logins will become the dominant one if they have accounts on multiple sites. I presume this will eventually apply to my IRV2 account, also.

#4 docj, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Actually, I got an email that said my password would be the one I have for TW.

As for the "switch," I was logged in when it was made and that login was still working this morning. I have not tried logging out and back in. I'm kind of afraid to :p.

6. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You can log out, Barbara. I did. You'll be able to get back in.

However, as was with Joel, I had to use my RVTW password to log into RVPR's, not my RVPR's password. It appears the RVTW password is used as one's RV Life account password. That'll only impact you if you have a RVTW account that has a different log in credentials than your RVPR account.

The only thing I do find is this is contrary to everything I've been told about passwords: Never have the same log in credentials for multiple websites because it is a security issue. Now we do.:confused:

Lori-

7. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

It'll eventually apply to all the sites as shown in the logos graphic at the bottom of the RV Life Network info page

From my understanding, if we have accounts on any of those other sites, they'll eventually fall under the single sign on umbrella.....eventually.

Lori-

8. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

A note here that if you want to change passwords you can do that and in the usual way. it will change your login for both sites.

The new password management platform is more robust than the old one was and while yes, back in the day the general advice was to separate logins, the digital world is changing. Single sign ons on shared platforms are common. (gmail/google) (twitter/facebook, etc)

NYDutch likes this.
  9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I normally don't log out either, but last night I accidentally cleared a bunch of cookies so I was automatically logged out. Oh, well, it's the price I pay for reading the NY Times without paying for a subscription! :D

NYDutch and Paythebill like this.