What happened to this app?

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by TakumarGirl, Aug 23, 2018.

1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Thanks, Dutch! The new app has "hooks" that can take you to additional features such as RVTripWizard, but you don't have to use any of those. You can use it to access and post reviews just like you always have.

NYDutch likes this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

There may be a little confusion here. The original RVPR website (which is still active and not going away) was never removed from use, and it has maps that you should be able to access. It is also my understanding that the website can be accessed with a tablet or smart phone.

However, the app is not the same as the website. Until recently we had an app for RVPR, but it was not working very well, so the decision was made to discard it and create a whole new app for accessing RVPR. However, because the RVPR website owner also owns other RV websites (RVTripWizard, RVLife magazive, and others), it was decided to have one app named RVLife that would provide access to all these applications. The app was introduced a few weeks ago and has both an android and iOS version.

So if you use a desktop, there should not have been any interruption in the website service, but there may have been a short period of time when the app was not available while we were switching to the new app.

3. dk-trvl

dk-trvl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for responding. I did fuzz the difference above, so lets define some terms so we understand each other:

App - Software downloaded from application provider which then resides on the users device, providing access to RVPR web site, interaction with RVPR web site, and presentation of website data on the users device (usually an Apple or android phone or tablet).

Browser - desktop/laptop software used to browse the web (RVPR website). When the browser access a website, it may download data and download and activate software used to manipulate and present the downloaded data to the user.

API - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

I understand from previous posts that the RVPR website used APIs to pull data from the Google Maps website for presentation by RVPR, and that Google changed the APIs "breaking" the RVPR website. This resulted in less-than-optimal results for both App users and Browser users. And Yes, the RVPR website, accessed via a browser, did experience a change in the way it responded to users.

It appears from previous posts that RVPR is modifying the APIs used by the Apps and that the Apps are being updated to use the new results.

I have not heard about any changes being made to the website for browser access yet. Being a desktop (browser) user, this impacts me more than any changes to Apps. Thus my interest in the updates for browsers. Hope this put my interest in better context.

Thanks - dk-trvl

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Maybe if you give us some specific elements about just what is it that has you "disappointed, disgusted, and annoyed"? The website seems to be fully functional on my end on any of my three browsers running on my Windows and Linux PC's.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Just a note about map choices... we are still looking for a a better solution for the full browser version of the maps but for now, if you go to your profile you can configure map use for some better results.

The map on the new RVLIFE mobile app (which replaced the old RVPR app) still should be working. The new app is being steadily improved with more features and updates coming.

6. dk-trvl

dk-trvl
    Expand Collapse

Troubles no longer, when I view maps and see group icons, they now expand, the local icons for campsites, no longer contain an exclamation mark and they link the way you expect URL anchors to link. It appears all the linking has been fixed. It may even be faster.

This web site has been my first choice for the last 4 years, when I'm looking for a campground in a specific area. It s good to see it back on top of its game.

Sign me delighted, happy, and gratified!

NYDutch and Rollin Ollens like this.
  7. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Glad to see you are having a better experience :)