Remote temperature monitoring of RV

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by docj, Nov 22, 2018.

1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Quite a few times I have read posts here and elsewhere by people concerned with remote temperature monitoring of their RV's either because the RV is in storage or because they've left a pet in it unattended. If you still have a S&B residence, you might also be concerned about the temperature in it while you are traveling around the country.

In the past when I've been asked this question, I've attempted to cobble together a solution, but I couldn't identify a simple, off-the-shelf approach. Recently, a company asked me to test a product which they said would do what I wanted. They offered to let me test one so I could review it. I have no business relationship with this company and am not getting any compensation for this review or for testing its product.

As long as there's an internet connection available this little device will let you do this with your phone from virtually anywhere on the planet! Setup is pretty easy although the instructions could use some rewording. Using the phone app you use Bluetooth to get the device connected to a wifi network then use the app to read temperature and humidity using WiFi alone. The instructions aren't very clear that all that happens if you disconnect Bluetooth is that the data is updated every 10 minutes rather than being real time. You still get all the temp and humidity data, it simply comes in "chunks" every 10 minutes. The device is powered by 3 AA batteries which the manufacturer says will last six months. There is a battery strength indicator on the app so you get plenty of warning when the batteries do need to be changed. There are alarm levels that can be set so you don't actually have to look at the app all that often. After a couple of weeks of use, I can say that it works just as promised.

Here's a link to it on Amazon. Be careful and read the description closely. There is a nearly identical device at a lower price that is Bluetooth-only. That one isn't nearly as useful IMO.

https://smile.amazon.com/Temperatur...1&refRID=HSBGJ3DH4XEZWCYN07E2#customerReviews

#1 docj, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Not a bad deal, Joel... We have an Internet connected system from AcuRite that we use with a phone app to monitor the inside and outside temps at our NY cottage. The readings can also be seen online using any browser, and alerts are user settable for all relevant conditions. We previously used an earlier version of this system to monitor the coach conditions when we had our dog and went shopping, etc.

5-Sensor Humidity and Temperature Smart Home Environment System with My AcuRite

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Didn't even know that existed. The multizone one isn't all that much more expensive than the one I posted unless you need add-ons to make it work

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

All that's needed is to plug in the supplied USB wall wart and connect it to a router with the supplied Ethernet cable. A 12-volt USB adapter would also work. The base unit has battery back-up using two AAA batteries.

5. Kirk49

Kirk49
    Expand Collapse

If you have wi-fi available, a small Ring camera can show real time conditions.
    I use it to monitor the RV temperature and humidity plus the refrigerator and freezer temperatures. It has 2 way audio as well.

As a side note, because of the rise in RV thefts we installed a Trak-4 GPS tracker that connects to the 12 volt supply that keeps a lithium battery charged. Even if the RV battery dies, is disconnected or removed the device battery will last over a year. As long as GPS satellites are within view is is extremely accurate. If GPS cannot connect it reports the location using cell tower triangulation which while not as accurate as GPS will be in the neighborhood.
    The device costs around $50 and requires a subscription.

Attached Files: