GPS issue

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by LoracS, Nov 30, 2023.

1. LoracS

LoracS
    Expand Collapse

Just to let people know that we left a hotel near Rising Sun MD to get back on I-95 south and the map took us to a low bridge on Muddy Rd. Height 11' and we are 11' 1"

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Been there, done that, only not in Maryland. Our experience was on a narrow 2 lane road but fortunately, after several attempts and some tight maneuvering, we were able to get turned around and got ourselves out of that situation. Hope you were able to do the same? Welcome to the forum. Safe and happy travels ahead and be sure to post reviews of the places you stay at, in the home section..........

BankShot....(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    Paythebill likes this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The marked bridge clearance heights are often about 6" to a foot lower than actual to allow for repaving, packed snow, etc. If the sign says "Actual Height 11' " though, believe it. There are specialized GPS models for RV'ers and truckers that allow you to set your vehicle height and will route you around low clearances.

4. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

I have a Gramin GPS made for RVs and it works as Dutch says. The only issue is that you still have to have a sense of where you're going. It tends to keep us on interstates where we much prefer the country roads to see America, not billboards.

BankShot, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Check your settings for an avoidance choice that says "Highways". That will keep you off the Interstates and other major highways. Check the routing to a known location that includes an Interstate, then turn on the "Highways" avoidance choice and check it again to see the difference.

BankShot and mdcamping like this.
  6. Mowerman186__700

Mowerman186__700
    Expand Collapse

I have a Garmin 890 and it has a place with which I can avoid all interstates.