New to RV Camping

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by R&R Wilson, Apr 2, 2024.

1. R&R Wilson

R&R Wilson
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I recently got a Van to travel in. We are teachers so we don't get to take off until the Summer. I am struggling trying to find any sites for us in June. Just joined RV Life last week. We are in Texas and were hoping to head to cooler climates like Colorado. Is it just too late to find availability? We prefer more state park, national park style. Less dense, not resorty. But getting desperate. Thank you.

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

You are finding exacly what many others are finding, rv parks full, and having to make reservations a long way out. But like anything else people change plans and openings do happen even in full rv parks. Sometimes making calls over and over can get you a spot.

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I did a quick search on a campground in a National forest we stayed at here in Colorado 2 years ago and found several sites available, even on weekends:
    https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232067

in addition, you may want to try BLM land and land run by CPW like this which is free, all you do is drive in and find a spot:
    https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regi...-creek-reservoir-state-wildlife-area-250443#/

Finally, i'm sure a lot of the professional campgrounds are not booked up yet, so check those as well. Yes, the state parks fill up quickly.

4. Joseph_117

Joseph_117
    Expand Collapse

Keep checking for sure! Several of our sites the last year have been booked due to cancellations. Granted you may not be an insomniac like my gf so it will be a little harder but luck can help. Also with your size you will have many more options to fit in places we can't.

Ya prob know the rest but some other tips;

We use RV life, campendium, and RV parky because they don't all have the same campsites. We use the free versions of the other sites except for rvlife. There are several others out there so look for one you like.

Look into stealth camping, cracker barrels, Walmarts etc as well. It won't get ya a great long term site but will allow ya have over night stops while ya travel for free and save ya money. (Pay attention to laws/unwritten rules)

Depending on your setup boondocking may be an awesome option as well. Ya may find awesome sites that become your favorite. First come first served ones can be a risk so have a few backup plans.

Good luck!

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Some of the most sought after State & Government parks require you to reserve at the maximum allowed time out if you want any slim hope of getting a site. Some of those parks you have seconds to reserve when the reservation window opens..

I would suggest expanding your review search to the smaller Mom & Pop type parks, we have found some gems :cool: ( some lemons also but that what's makes it so much fun :p :D)

Good luck
    Mike

Fitzjohnfan and Paythebill like this.