Sanitize the Fresh Water Tanks

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by ctravelgal01, Apr 16, 2024.

1. ctravelgal01

ctravelgal01
    Expand Collapse

I am unsure how to sanitize the fresh water tanks in a Winnebago motorhome. My last TT had a spout to pour in the bleach and water but Im not sure on the Winnebago. Online keeps referring me to an outside spout. My manuals were stolen and I can't get anybody on the phone to help me. Thank you

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

You can use the fill hose to add the bleach at a quarter cup per 15 gallons of water tank capacity. With the hose connected to the tank fill port, use a small funnel to add the bleach to the empty hose. Then connect the hose to the house spigot and fill the tank normally. Don't forget to run the water through all faucets until you smell the bleach before you let everything sit for several hours before draining and rinsing.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

What Dutch said is spot on and will keep your FWT in good condition. I do ours twice a year but to each their own on this. One thing IMHO not to do is use your regular lawn/garden hose for this job as it usually sits outside exposed to the elements and all sorts of bugs and other tiny insects, etc that use it as hangout, etc. I had use two fresh water hose attached together to reach the spigot on the house but it was worth the few extra buck to know this was always a clean run from the spigot to our motorhome. I always let the water from the spigot run for for a few seconds before attaching the hose just to make sure it was clear of anything. One more thing, make sure when you drain the tank after letting it sit for several hours, that you have the drain hose emptying into an area where it won;t kill anything like grass, flowers, or decorative plants or your co-pilot might be having a few words with you...:eek: I'm sure a few others will chime in here to add more to what's been said. Enjoy your motorhome and your travels in it, and be sure to post reviews of where you stay, on the Home page..............

Safe travels, BankShot.....(aka Terry)

Paythebill and weighit like this.
  4. ctravelgal01

ctravelgal01
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for the information working on it as I type!

Paythebill likes this.