Ask Camp Grounds to STOP asking to take a photo copy of your Drivers License!

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Joe at YYC, May 8, 2024.

1. Joe at YYC

Joe at YYC
    Expand Collapse

How could someone take information from my driver’s license?
    Yes, a driver’s license can indeed be used for identity theft. Let me explain why and what you can do to protect yourself:

1. Information on a Driver’s License:
      • Your driver’s license contains various personal details, including your birthdate, home address, height, weight, and eye color.
      • Thieves can use this information to impersonate you and commit fraudulent activities.
    2. How Identity Theft Can Occur:
      • Stolen or Lost License: If your physical driver’s license is lost or stolen, you’ll likely notice the problem right away.
      • Data Breach Exposure: The bigger challenge arises when your license information is exposed in a data breach. In such cases, you might not realize there’s a problem until after a criminal has already used your information.

Protecting Yourself:
    If you suspect your driver’s license information has been stolen:
    Report the theft to a credit reporting agency (such as Equifax or TransUnion).
    Keep records of recent purchases, payments, and financial transactions.
    Call 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) for information on replacing identity cards like your health card, driver’s license, or Social Insurance Number (SIN) if necessary (for Canadian residents)
    Be vigilant and monitor your credit reports regularly.
    Remember, taking proactive steps to safeguard your personal information is crucial in preventing identity theft. Stay informed and stay protected!

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

18 years on the road in an RV and I have never had a campground ask to even see my driver's license, much less take a picture of it.

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, i was going to say the same thing. The OP has good advice about identity theft, but i have never been asked to show my license or have it copied at a campground.

Joe, has this happened to you?

mdcamping, BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

In all our years of RVing we have never been asked to even show our DL, and would for sure ask why, but having to make a copy of it would be a most definite NO-NO!!!. Why they would even ask to make a copy is beyond me. Then again we are all living in a crazy, mixed up world so perhaps this is just one more thing in the list of crazy things...:rolleyes: And the list is likely to continue growing...:eek:

Hang in there fellow RVers, Bankshot..........(aka Terry)

mdcamping, weighit and Paythebill like this.
  5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I got to wonder why they would want a copy of your DL, maybe because your from Canada? I have read that the homeless and Rv's has become a big problem, especially in western US. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

I little off topic, many years ago we checked in late at a state campground in RI. The very young attendant demanded a copy of our truck & trailer registration & insurance. unfortunately we did not have a copy in hand of our TT insurance (we had everything else) so the attendant told us that we could stay 1 night but if we did not provide the information by the next day we would have to leave. The next morning I promptly went to the office at 9am and I explained to the older/experienced staff member about what happened the previous night, he just rolled his eyes and said forget it, then said enjoy the rest of your stay. Later during our stay I did ask why they wanted the insurance info. Apparently years earlier they had an Rv fire where the "uninsured Rv" caused damage to the surrounding area.

Mike

#5 mdcamping, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    BankShot likes this.