A Problem With Tvs In Damon Coaches

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I bought a 2007 Damon Motor Home in Nov of 2007. It has a TV in the front and one in the back. I just recently found out that the one in the back, in a cabinet, was an analog only TV. In Feb 2009 it will need a converter box to receive digital signals from the antenna. Of course, it is fully built in. It seemed to me that Damon should take some responsibility for using an analog only TV in a unit that was sold in 2007. It would be very hard to install a box w/o cutting up the cabinet. You pay a lot of money for a unit, you don't want to find out it is a TV that you have to replace or make major changes to have it work properly. Well, I contacted Damon and after going round and round, they say they have no responsibility and will do nothing! I have turned it over to the FTC, but doubt I'll get any help there. Beware!

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Jun 5 2008, 12:44 PM) [snapback]11718[/snapback]

I bought a 2007 Damon Motor Home in Nov of 2007. It has a TV in the front and one in the back. I just recently found out that the one in the back, in a cabinet, was an analog only TV. In Feb 2009 it will need a converter box to receive digital signals from the antenna. Of course, it is fully built in. It seemed to me that Damon should take some responsibility for using an analog only TV in a unit that was sold in 2007. It would be very hard to install a box w/o cutting up the cabinet. You pay a lot of money for a unit, you don't want to find out it is a TV that you have to replace or make major changes to have it work properly. Well, I contacted Damon and after going round and round, they say they have no responsibility and will do nothing! I have turned it over to the FTC, but doubt I'll get any help there. Beware!

Is it fully built in to the point where you can't even squeeze a converter box in there? Those boxes aren't that big..... I bought a box for my RV (but then I ended up trading the RV anyway.....)

Good luck, Damon should do something in my opinion!

JJ

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

A few things here:

1- The converter and the TV do not have to be in the same compartment. As long as it is inserted anywhere between the TV and antenna it will do the intended job.
    2- If you have a TV/VCR/SAT/DVD control box that allows you to push a button to switch between different input signals, then it could be located there. That would require that you know something about connecting different cables to different "black" boxes. If not, you will need to take it to someone that does. Most people automatically assume that is an RV shop. Not so. A full service Circuit City, Best Buy, or independant stereo store with an electronic installation department could do the job.
    3- How much local TV do you watch? The digital conversion only effects locally broadcasted TV signals. Those connected to satellite or cable will not need a converter.
    4- Looking at the silver lining, this could be the opportunity to replace that low end, budget TV with a slightly larger flat screen TV. A small amount of cabinet work might be worth the effort.

4. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help-- RLM- the only problem with the not having the box near the TV is that, my understanding, is that once you ho9ok up the box it becomes your tuner, so you need it near the TV. I may go the new TV route or just forget it and go to a dish. It is just I could not believe Damon would sell a 2007 RV with an analog only TV. They said they couldn't give me a new TV because then others might ask-- duhhh-- who created the problem?-- Maybe the dumb guy who bought a ship load of cheap TVs

5. roborjoanne

roborjoanne
    Expand Collapse

I certainly understand your frustration, as we also have had our "moments" when trying to understand why Damon (and other manufacturers) choose to make the various decisions they make regarding customers and their products.

Just a thought regarding your situation...

When we purchased our Damon, we needed to have a second satellite tv receiver installed for the bedroom tv. Like yours, the set was all enclosed in a cabinet with nowhere to simply insert the receiver. We finially came up with this idea. We hung the receiver below the tv cabinet and ran the electric and cables through a drilled hole into the bottom of the cabinet.

This may, or may not work for you, depending on how and where your cabinet is located and built. Ours happened to be in the corner of the bedroom over a corner "L" shaped counter.

We are also in the process of deciding what we need and how we will install the converter boxes for our 2 tv's. We don't need them for our satellite broadcasts, but will for our local tv broadcasting that we use around the country with our antenna instead of paying and using the satellite for local broadcast that aren't really "local" broadcasts.

We've been told that we can get by with one converter installed between the antenna and the control box, but like you have read in the product detail that the converter box also acts as a tuner that you use a remote to change the channels through each box for each tv.

Will have to go do more shopping and researching to see if a box is out there that just converts the signal without acting as a tuner.

Good luck to you, and safe travels.

Joanne

6. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I finally pulled the TV out-- it was heavy!-- then ran the antenna cable through a hole into the neighboring wall cabinet, where I placed the convertor box. Then ran the cables back through the hole to the TV and put the TV back in its hole. Now when I want to watch antenna TV, I open the overhead cabinet door and put the box where I can change channels. It works. It was a pain and I still think Damon make a mistake customer service wise. They could have told me to buy a digital TV, they could have shipped me one they had. They could have paid their dealer to install the dang thing, but they did nothing and I think that was poor customer service. Doubt I would buy another one, though I like the unit I have very much.