Back Up Cameras

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Apr 23, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Picking up my new RV Friday. I will have a rear camera in it, first time for me to have one of these. Um.... has anyone ever had their camera fail? What happens in that case? If it fails, then I can't drive the RV because I can't see behind me. That's my fear!

JJ

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

No problems yet, works great all the time. :p

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

You mean the new unit doesn't have nice big side mirrors?

I'm very excited for you!

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 23 2008, 08:41 PM) [snapback]11310[/snapback]

Picking up my new RV Friday. I will have a rear camera in it, first time for me to have one of these. Um.... has anyone ever had their camera fail? What happens in that case? If it fails, then I can't drive the RV because I can't see behind me. That's my fear!

JJ

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Apr 23 2008, 09:15 PM) [snapback]11312[/snapback]

Hi JJ,

You mean the new unit doesn't have nice big side mirrors?

I'm very excited for you!

Yes, it has side mirrors, same as my last RV. But I still always depended on the rear window! In the new unit, both slideouts cover the rear window, and I have to depend on the camera! I hate depending on technology! What if it fails???

JJ

5. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Yes they do fail. I have had two failures in the past 5 years alone. Once the camera itself died and the second time the monitor died.
    What do you do in that case? Simple you get them repaired/replaced, what other choice do you have.
    Now this is not a common every day occurrence, should you worry about it, NO. The camera failing falls into the same "worry" category as having a tire blow out, when it happens you deal with it and in the mean time you don't worry about it.

Just for what it is worth; If a lemon item can be built I will be the one to buy it, guaranteed, I have a black cloud over my head when it comes to getting lemon items.

On edit I need to mention that both times when camera failed, it do so very slowly, it wasn't like it worked one minute and then gone the next. Both times they died slowly, letting me know that they had problems an were dying.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Apr 24 2008, 09:30 AM) [snapback]11317[/snapback]

Yes they do fail. I have had two failures in the past 5 years alone. Once the camera itself died and the second time the monitor died.
    What do you do in that case? Simple you get them repaired/replaced, what other choice do you have.
    Now this is not a common every day occurrence, should you worry about it, NO. The camera failing falls into the same "worry" category as having a tire blow out, when it happens you deal with it and in the mean time you don't worry about it.

[snip]

On edit I need to mention that both times when camera failed, it do so very slowly, it wasn't like it worked one minute and then gone the next. Both times they died slowly, letting me know that they had problems an were dying.

THanks Browzin! Ok, when your camera failed, I assume you were still able to drive, but you had to be very very cautious about it, since you could not see out the back. That's what I want to know, how do you drive when the camera failed? But then again, if it does give you warning signs, guess I don't need to worry about this.

JJ

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello JJ
    We too had to adjust to no 'rear-view' mirror when we upgraded RV's. The side-view mirrors really do cover the traffic area behind you. Try it in your new RV.
    Yes, it take getting used too...but if you're not towing anything...why worry my dear? Can't see your rear bumper with your former RV's rear view mirror either...right? :p
    Cheers! :D

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

GOT MY NEW RV!!!! I found that I didn't depend on the camera as much as I thought. In fact, the side mirrors are MUCH BETTER than the ones in my 2860 model. The kind of side mirrors I have, well, no GEO METRO is going to scoot by me undetected! In my 2860, Geo Metros could scoot right past me, left or right, and I wouldn't/couldn't see them no matter how I adjusted those mirrors! Made it difficult for lane changes.

JJ

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

JJ,

We've never had any trouble with our back up camera or monitor working. However, our monitor is mounted on top of the dash and on bumpy roads the top kept falling down. We found a way to fix it so even that doesn't give us trouble any more.

I'm not sure what everyone else does, but our camera is focused on our tow car (I know you don't have one) so that we can see if anything goes wrong with it. We can see other vehicles as they get close enough to pass in the other lane, but unless they are driving about 3 feet behind the tow car we can't see them too well with the camera. However, we can see them really well--both close up and far back--with the side mirrors.

Because there are two of us the camera is not quite as important when backing up since one of us is always on the ground giving hand signals. So I'm telling you, you gotta teach that cat how to help you. :lol: Does your system have sound? Again this may not be a big help to you except for hearing the crunch a little better, but being able to give verbal instruction to the driver is also a big help to us. Maybe Kitty could learn to meow once for right and two for no.

All kidding aside congrats on your new RV.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 25 2008, 01:55 PM) [snapback]11335[/snapback]

JJ,

Because there are two of us the camera is not quite as important when backing up since one of us is always on the ground giving hand signals. So I'm telling you, you gotta teach that cat how to help you. :lol: Does your system have sound? Again this may not be a big help to you except for hearing the crunch a little better, but being able to give verbal instruction to the driver is also a big help to us. Maybe Kitty could learn to meow once for right and two for no.

All kidding aside congrats on your new RV.

Yes, I have sound on the camera. Weird!!! I can't wait to go somewhere! My first trip is going to be Mother's Day weekend, going to Eastern WA to visit Mom. Then the next trip will be the Pennsylvania trip in July unless I sneak in another trip in between.....

Dang dealer didn't even give me a full tank of gas! However, I'm not going to complain, because they threw in Hydraulic leveling jacks for free (it really was for free, because I had already agreed to a trade in cost and total price before they offered these....) and they gave me a new bike carrier in trade for the one that was on my old model..... (I had to get a different bike carrier, long story, but the one I got is a much better one than I had!!!)

JJ

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I had your same fears when we first traded from our beloved 29 footer to a 33 footer. I have found I love the backup camera and I have to force myself not to depend on it too much. My new (to me) coach came with the mirror adjusted to look down pretty much only on the toad. I readjusted it too look behind the coach the max amount and it is a much better tool now. It is used in addition to the mirrors. There is a whole science around how to adjust your bottom and top mirrors for max benefit. I also but in a Wal-Mart lick and stick mirror on the base of the front TV to be able to see back into the coach as sometimes things fall and adjust during a trip. Good Luck with your new coach.

12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

If either the camera or monitor goes belly up, it's an easy DITY project as long as you put the same type back in. Remove some retaining screws/bolts, unplug it, and re-plug the new one. The hardest part is climbing the ladder if it's the camera.

The sound feature isn't useful if you have pusher. The engine noise will drown out any human voices.

I never understood why most use their system to only monitor the tow vehicle. If it comes loose, you'll know it with or without the camera. The camera will only add to the shock.

I titled my camera up so it focuses on the rear half of the tow and also traffic behind me. Seeing traffic is an obvious benefit, but being able to see when I can safely manuver lanes when passing is the best use of it. Yeah, the mirrors are there, but the camera presents a much better depth preception.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I was very interested to read that some of you have your cameras focused farther back than your toad and why you did that. We have always kept our camera on the car in case it gets a flat or something else goes wrong, or yes, RLM, to see if was still there. :p Since we can't see the car with the mirrors we felt it was best to keep the camera on it and use the mirrors for traffic. Hearing your explanations has made me rethink this a little bit. It sounds like having the camera set so that you can see farther behind you is a better option. Guess I at least need to try that and see how I like it.

Also Lindsay, thanks for mentioning your "rearview mirror." Such a simple solution that we had not thought of. We do keep a handheld mirror on the passenger side that the copilot (but let's not get in that discussion again) can use to see into the back of the coach. However, that doesn't help the driver any. Your solution does. And it is always good to be able to check out those unusual noises.

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Apr 26 2008, 08:57 AM) [snapback]11344[/snapback]

I titled my camera up so it focuses on the rear half of the tow and also traffic behind me. Seeing traffic is an obvious benefit, but being able to see when I can safely manuver lanes when passing is the best use of it. Yeah, the mirrors are there, but the camera presents a much better depth preception.

RLM, that's what I am concerned about. Switching lanes! In my previous RV's, I used the "common sense" rule, that you don't switch back until you see the car you passed in your back window (or rear view mirror). My new RV, I CAN'T SEE OUT THE BACK WINDOW BECAUSE THE SLIDES COVER IT! AAAACKKK! Like you, I want it tilted more so I can see who is "tailgating" me, I don't have to watch my bike, I know it's tied down good!

JJ

15. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

JJ-- I have a new Damon MH with a camera and no rear window. I was worried at first, but since I do not have a TOAD, I hardly ever use the camera, except when parking and backing up. I have had it one maybe three times while on the road, just to see what I could see, but he mirrors do a wonderful job and don't feel uncomfortable at all. Mine has sound and that is great while parking -- no more walkie talkies. Enjoy

16. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

The angle of my backup camera is such that it would be on a toad-- if I actually pulled one (I'm new to the RV thing and a toad is just too "advanced class" for me at the moment). Anyway, the angle pretty much looks right at cars when I'm driving near NYC and through North Jersey. When there I have to use a driving technique that the locals haven't ever seen: The turn signal.

17. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Bud! I just took a short trip with my new RV to test it out, and I found I didn't depend on the camera as much as I thought I would. I would check occasionally.....

Trentheim, thanks for your comment, my camera also has sound!

JJ