Best Routes to Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by williamson73, May 7, 2017.

1. williamson73

williamson73
    Expand Collapse

We recently bought a 28 foot trailer (have some previous experience with rentals).
    We have done some local trips and are ready and excited to do something
    a little more epic......travel from Pennsylvania to Glacier National Park later this summer! We are looking for best route suggestions.

sarge927 likes this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Your route really depends on how you want to travel. Do you want to just stay on the interstates and get there as fast as possible or would you like to go through smaller towns and enjoy the local ambiance? The most obvious interstate route has you taking I-80 out of Pennsylvania over to I-39 (I would detour around Chicago) to I-94. Just after you cross into Montana there will be a choice to make. You can go north up to Hwy 2 which will eventually take you to the town of East Glacier and on into the town of West Glacier. Or you can continue on I-94 until it meets us with I-90; then take I-90 into the town of Missoula. Just west of Missoula take Hwy 93 north through Polson and Kalispell. This is a beautiful drive and the road was good when we were there. Then in Kalispell cut back to the east until you get to the Columbia Falls area. From Columbia Falls to West Glacier there are quite a few RV parks.

Course there is always the choice of taking either I-90 or I-80 across the center of the US until you get to I-25 and taking it north into Montana or staying on I-80 to Salt Lake City and then I-15 north to Montana. You just need to decide what towns you would most like to see and plan your route accordingly.

However, whatever route you take I would recommend staying on the west side of the park as there are more RV parks to choose from and there are more services available there.

Sounds like a great trip. Safe travels.

3. Woosch

Woosch
    Expand Collapse

If you decide to go into East Glacier, you may want to consider taking hwy 464 from Browning to St Mary. We got on why 89 from Browning and it was a very difficult drive. Windy, tight road in some places. 464 to Babb then 89 to St Mary is a little longer but much much easier. We have stayed at Johnson's and the KOA in St Mary. Both were ok. Hwy2 from Browning goes south of the park to West Glacier. If you like trains, stop at Izzak Walton Inn for lunch. Lots of railroad memorabilia to see. Inn was crew quarters for RR workers. It still a "Helper Station" to assist trains going over the continental divide. We have camped in Apgar and enjoyed it very much. No hookups though. I have heard that the KOA in west glacier is really nice. Be sure to take the Red Bus tour over the Going to the Sun road. You will understand why no trailers are allowed. I would be interested to hear how hwy2 is east of Browning. Cheers.