Campgrounds Around Naperville Illinois

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by kirb, Feb 14, 2008.

1. kirb

kirb
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

Looking for a nice campground around the Naperville Illinois area, I would prefer the East side of Naperville but......
    I would like to stay within 30 minutes of Naperville.

Thanks for the input.

Keith

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Keith,

Like most larger urban areas, Chicagoland has very little in the way of campgrounds or RV parks. Naperville is about 30 miles west and south of downtown and there is nothing in that area. You have to go another 15-20 miles north, south, or west to even begin to find any place to camp. Then you have the question of what is a "nice" campground. Even the places that are within 30 or 40 minutes are often lacking in facilities important to some campers - sewer, cable, WIFI, etc. - or poorly rated in this forum. See listings under Illinois for Joliet, Yorkville, Sycamore, etc. The park in Sycamore sounds nice but lacks cable and a pool and may be closer to an hour from Naperville. The parks in Joliet are probly the closest. Additionally, this is an area where most campgrounds do not open until April or May.

Good luck.

Jerry S.

3. leftyf

leftyf
    Expand Collapse

There is a Jellystone park about 9 miles south of Yorkville. Only decent place to stay while in the area. wifi works great. Safe place with people on site. Nothing like Lost Lakes. Expensive during the season...but, really reasonable during the winter.

4. ready2upgrade

ready2upgrade
    Expand Collapse

Probably close enough would be Amboy, there are two there, a Jellystone and Green River Oaks campground.

I personally didn't like GRO much, having stayed there in a PUP, but I know people who were satisfied with it (they were in trailers with full hookups) and it got some o.k. reviews on this site.

If you are in a TT and don't need to use the shower building it's probably o.k. for a short stay?

Otherwise if you don't mind a state park, try Shabbonna Lake near Dekalb. It's about 30 minutes to Naperville, via Rt 30 to I-88 to Naperville, bypassing the little roads that would cute thru Aurora. Some sites have electric, and some are reservable. We like Shabbonna. Their site has map Shabbonna Map you can click on the site numbers to see pics of the sites.

I would pick Shabbonna over the other two in that area.

I would not pick any of the choices near Joliet, but I may be being a bit of a camping snob....TIFWIW.