Can You Help A Brit??

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Hols 2009, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Hols 2009

Hols 2009
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone, I'm hoping over the next few months you will be able to help us make our Rv holiday this year truly memorable. We are coming over in July for our first ever RV experience.
    Not to under do things we have rented a 32ft Rv and are traveling with friends (seperate RV).
    Our plan is
    2 nights SF in hotel
    Pick up RV drive to Muir Woods area- 1 night
    Drive south to Carmel/Monterey area-2 nights (?Saddle Mountain RV Park)
    On to San luis Obispo (? KOA Santa Margarita)- 1 night
    On to Lake Isabella- 1 night (?KOA park)
    On to Calico- 1 night
    Long drive to Grand Canyon south rim - 1 night
    Back to Las Vegas via Hoover Dam- 1 night
    Drop off RV and then we fly on to Denver.

I know you will all think that we are packing in too much, but we want to see as much as we can. I will have lots more questions I'm sure but thought it worth posting our plans and seeing what tips you have. My most pressing question is taking the RV on the coastal road, I have read lots of threads that really complain about RV's on this road, whats your view. Are we mad taking the RV as our mode of transit when we are in Carmel, (unhooking it for the day and then coming back and rehooking etc).
    Fingers crossed that one of you can help!!!! Thanks from a grateful Brit!

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You have lots to consider, and I'm sure the members here will give you lots of advice.

We have never had our RV in the western California area so I can't comment on the coast highway or the parks you have picked. I have to honestly say that unhooking and driving the RV around during the day would be a nightmare for us, but if that is your only option then do it; just understand that a 32 ft. coach cannot be driven or parked just anywhere and this may limit your activities and/or create problems. My only suggestion here is maybe you should consider renting a car in the areas where you will be doing a lot of sightseeing.

You should really try to squeeze in more time for the Grand Canyon. It would be worth it. There is so much to see and do there, and it sounds like this is the highlight of your trip. In your itinerary you said you will get to the GC after a long day's drive, and I am assuming you won't arrive until late evening. (The sunset will be beautiful!) Then you will head out to Las Vegas the next day. That does not leave much time to see one of the most spectacular wonders of the whole world so I'd really try for 2 nights here.

If you go to Vegas by way of the Hoover Dam be advised that you have to stop at a check point to have your RV searched. We have had to do this several times, and it is no big deal. You have to open all your storage bins and a ranger comes inside and looks around. Also know that the road down to the dam and out again is steep and curvy, but we have made it with no trouble. They are building an alternate road around the dam that will be easier to drive, but I don't know if it will be finished by July. Either way the view of the dam is fantastic.

Sounds like you have lots of fun ahead of you. Hope this helps you some.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Brit,

It sounds as if the trip will be lots of fun! The total trip with no side expeditions is about 1826 kilometers, assuming you are dropping off the RV in Las Vegas.

Muir to Saddle Mountain Recreation Park is 221 k
    Saddle to Santa Margarita is 240 k
    Margarita to Lake Isabella is 236 k
    Isabella to Calico is 240 k (San Bernardino County)
    Calico to Grand Canyon is 510 k (a long day)
    Grand Canyon to Las Vegas is 354 k

I am not a fan of KOA--in general I find them to have small sites at a premium price.

Microsoft Streets and Maps tells me there are 72 campgrounds along your chosen route. A quick way to find them is to use google maps ( for example campground loc:Barstow, ca )

If you check the forum some one else recently planned a very similar trip--there may be information there that may be helpful.

Have a Great Trip!

QUOTE(Hols 2009 @ Apr 11 2009, 03:44 AM) [snapback]15823[/snapback]

Hi everyone, I'm hoping over the next few months you will be able to help us make our Rv holiday this year truly memorable. We are coming over in July for our first ever RV experience.
    Not to under do things we have rented a 32ft Rv and are traveling with friends (seperate RV).
    Our plan is
    2 nights SF in hotel
    Pick up RV drive to Muir Woods area- 1 night
    Drive south to Carmel/Monterey area-2 nights (?Saddle Mountain RV Park)
    On to San luis Obispo (? KOA Santa Margarita)- 1 night
    On to Lake Isabella- 1 night (?KOA park)
    On to Calico- 1 night
    Long drive to Grand Canyon south rim - 1 night
    Back to Las Vegas via Hoover Dam- 1 night
    Drop off RV and then we fly on to Denver.

I know you will all think that we are packing in too much, but we want to see as much as we can. I will have lots more questions I'm sure but thought it worth posting our plans and seeing what tips you have. My most pressing question is taking the RV on the coastal road, I have read lots of threads that really complain about RV's on this road, whats your view. Are we mad taking the RV as our mode of transit when we are in Carmel, (unhooking it for the day and then coming back and rehooking etc).
    Fingers crossed that one of you can help!!!! Thanks from a grateful Brit!

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I think you are covering way too much ground in the time period. You will have a lots morefun if you plan to spend at least 2 nights in each location. We have a saying in the states, stop and smell the roses. You leave no time for smelling of the roses as you are always on the go. The purpose of RV'ing is to have fun and not to see the most things in a givne time period. Good Luck and we love to have English visitors come to the states.

5. Hols 2009

Hols 2009
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Apr 11 2009, 07:27 PM) [snapback]15839[/snapback]

I think you are covering way too much ground in the time period. You will have a lots morefun if you plan to spend at least 2 nights in each location. We have a saying in the states, stop and smell the roses. You leave no time for smelling of the roses as you are always on the go. The purpose of RV'ing is to have fun and not to see the most things in a givne time period. Good Luck and we love to have English visitors come to the states.

Thanks so much for your help so far, it has given me quite a lot to go on. I'm still fairly new to this site so am finding my way round it. Looking forward to hearing from anybody else. Thanks for now!

6. britboy

britboy
    Expand Collapse

I'm a fellow Brit and will be heading off on my third RV vacation next weekend. Even after last years ‘accident’ and a hefty insurance excess I couldn’t help myself and had to book again. We’re doing a 20 day tour of New Mexico and the Four Corners. I’m looking forward to getting the BBQ going, cracking open a cold one and watching the world fly by.

For Europeans vacationing in the US it’s expensive. We pay a fortune in aviation surcharges and the $/£ exchange rate is awful but it looks to be improving Most of us don’t have the luxury of being able to come back every year and so attempt to cram as much in as possible. A Ferris Bueller said, ‘Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.’ The Grand Canyon is an amazing place and one night isn’t enough so I would advise staying for two nights at the very least.

I have to admit that the first time I sat behind the wheel of an RV (35FT C Class) I got out and asked my girlfriend to drive!!!! I haven’t lived that one down. Driving in small towns and cities requires a lot more thought and planning. In fact driving anywhere in an RV requires a significant amount of thought/planning and patience. I went to Carmel several years ago and had trouble parking a station wagon so I wouldn’t even consider trying to negotiate the town in an RV. Renting a car is an option but it will probably be expensive. You may be able to use the public transport system although I’m not sure if California actually has one :D If you aren’t that far from town take a cab and if you are really close then walk although you may get one or two odd looks. I remember staying in Phoenix and the concierge was amazed when I said I wanted to walk to the mall. Even though it was only ¾ of a mile away.

Do some research, Trip Advisor has some good forums and you’ll be speaking to people with detailed local knowledge. This site is fantastic and has been a great help planning our trips. Check out local websites – local government sites have some interesting information.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

BritBoy: Great insights!
    B)
    The walking part had me laughing...done the same and gained similar odd-responses!
    Fabulous to have you on the site.
    Cheers!