Class A Ride

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mtnmanky, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mtnmanky

mtnmanky
    Expand Collapse

Hi all, and thanks for any help in advance!

Some quick background, we have towed TT's for many years, from a 12' Aljo to a 29' Coachman to our current 22' Terry. We also rented a Class C two years ago in Alaska, (my dream trip!). We learned a lot from renting the Class C, including that we prefer the room, especially up front for this large size driver (6'5), of a Class A. Another thing we learned is that with a rear bed in that Class C, the ride was pretty bumpy and "roller coaster" for a napper while underway. We are now investigating a move to a Class A and more time traveling. So, for you Class A owners, is that the same experience with the larger MH, or is the larger coach with a longer wheel base smoother in the back?
    We are planning another rental this fall, but would love the benefit of others experience.

(Yes, I am aware of the importance of seatbelts, but the reality is that whether it is a good idea or not, the wife likes to nap at times while I drive, so I am bowing to reality and not addressing the seatbelt situation.)

2. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

Bungie cords. They'll take care of any bumpiness (yes our 29' A is bumpy in the back) AND they'll serve as a seat belt too!

3. mtnmanky

mtnmanky
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Trentheim @ Aug 3 2009, 05:46 PM) [snapback]18053[/snapback]

Bungie cords. They'll take care of any bumpiness (yes our 29' A is bumpy in the back) AND they'll serve as a seat belt too!

Well, those do work for the grandkids.......hhhmmmm.... :D

4. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

Naw, the kids and grandkids who are of teen age or lower get... Duct Tape.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The trick to a good ride it 40/60 % wheel base and outboard air bags. If you have four air bags two in front and two in rear that set near center the ride will be different. If you have eight air bags two on each wheel them you will see and feel the ride. Our motorhome rides better than our tow car. You float along and feel very little of the road. Also the air bags pump up the low side or let down the high side as you drive down the road, you stay level at all times. The 40/60 is % of space in center from front to rear wheels. If wheels are set to close together you get a wave action ride. If to far apart you get a hard ride.

6. mtnmanky

mtnmanky
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 4 2009, 10:32 PM) [snapback]18102[/snapback]

The trick to a good ride it 40/60 % wheel base and outboard air bags. If you have four air bags two in front and two in rear that set near center the ride will be different. If you have eight air bags two on each wheel them you will see and feel the ride. Our motorhome rides better than our tow car. You float along and feel very little of the road. Also the air bags pump up the low side or let down the high side as you drive down the road, you stay level at all times. The 40/60 is % of space in center from front to rear wheels. If wheels are set to close together you get a wave action ride. If to far apart you get a hard ride.

Thank you John. Not only does that make sense, but even I understood it! :D

7. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

The occupant in a rear bedroom of any RV will experience more movement than they would if the bedroom were between the axles, simply because of the laws of leverage. When you ride beyond either axle you must travel farther with every movement. My wife has ridden in our bed with our gas chassis, 36' motorhome and she says that it really isn't a major issue. It does help that we have a side bed with a clothing closet at the extreme rear.

Andy diesel pusher that has air ride will probably be less rough than would RVs that do not have it. Air ride is the very best that can be purchased, so if you are thinking of a diesel, insist that the one you buy has it. All chassis that ride on springs will rattle the dishes and such, while an air ride usually does not. Of course, a great factor in the ride in any RV is also the roads that you travel. A rough road is going to be more noticed in the rear bedroom than anywhere else in the RV. It is clearly true that the longer wheel base RVs will have less impact upon the ride in a bedroom because of the leverage difference. Axles that are wider spaced lessen the effect as well as the shorter rear overhang.

Since neither of us have ever ridden in a rear bedroom of a class C, I really don't know how to compare the two.

8. John316

John316
    Expand Collapse

We have a 45 foot motor coach (MCI bus chassis). The ride on it is incredible. I often have a open coke sitting on the floor next to me. The back bedroom is great. It is very smooth, and you are able to have a glass of water sitting next to you on the nightstand, while you are on the bed.

Of course we do have a total of 8 airbags, which helps a lot.

God bless,

John