Defrosting Rv Fridge

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by B. Kidd, Jul 13, 2012.

1. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

We sometimes stay a month or longer at some sites and the Fridge/Freezer ices up. My better half went to defrost the fridge the other day and used her hair dryer. Bhadda B........Bhaddha Boom!!!.... the fridge was defrosted in under 20 minutes; little muss and less fuss. I mentioned it to our neighbor and she said she had started defrosting her fridge a couple months earlier using her hair dryer (and they have been RV'ing full time alot longer then us).
    We have never read this as a 'tip' in our experiences and I felt somewhat chagrined that we had never figured this out before this. I assume some of you already have, but nontheless, feel compelled to post this on the forum for those who have not. Works like a charm and is a major time saver.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, we've done the hair dryer thing many times. Since adding four small computer fans, two sets of two, spread across the fins though, we rarely see much frost buildup any more.

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Once per week, we turn the fridge off when we go to bed on Sunday night and turn it back on when we get up Monday morning. Food stays cold and we do not have to do a batch defrost in the entire 6-7 months that we travel.

4. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hair dryer is SOP for our freezer (Norcold).
    I tried the 'turn off overnight' hint the very first time, but resorted to the hair dryer in order to speed things up. (Had probably waited much too long, before defrosting using this method.)
    Now, I am interested in those computer fans Dutch. Are they battery powered?
    Do you place them in the refrigerator section, or in the freezer?

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have used a hair dryer for ever. Way back before frost free units come out (home use) we use the hair dryer to remove ice build up. We would not turn off power over night as the food could get to warm.

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

An ordinary box fan will work well. The more air moves the better.

7. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I am interested in those computer fans Dutch. Are they battery powered?

Typically, the computer fans are wired to the refrigerator's 12V supply. We have a battery operated one that we bought at an rv supply store that uses D batteries. It uses 2 batteries a month to operate continuously.

Battery powered fridge fan

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Jul 13 2012, 08:33 PM) [snapback]30014[/snapback]

Now, I am interested in those computer fans Dutch. Are they battery powered?
    Do you place them in the refrigerator section, or in the freezer?

The fans I have clip on the fins, and are wired to a 12-volt source on the back of the fridge. The plus wire is just threaded down through the defrost drain tube, and the clips provide the ground. I bought them on eBay from this ad. Along with minimizing the frost on the fins, they also keep the temperature in the fridge more even.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We do the hair dryer thing and put a towel in the bottom to soak the water. Seems to work well.