Do You Like The Poll Feature On This Website?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Jun 24, 2008.

?

Do You Like the Poll Feature on this Website?

1. Waste of webspace and meaningless, I don't use it or look at any in progress.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I choose not to vote but I like to see the topics and numbers.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I vote in the ones that interest me, and ignore the rest.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I vote in all of them!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm neutral on polls, can take them or leave them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. OTHER?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, someone dared me to start a poll on whether or not we like the poll feature on here. So I did.

Ok, JerryS, come on. Let's see you criticize this one! I think I covered all the bases!

JJ

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

JJ...in the (only quotable) words of Gordon Ramsey...you've got bollucks!
    :lol:

3. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I guess if they amuse some , they are ok. Don't feel they are of much value because of the small cross section that vote. I could see where there might be of some value to miles run, but what kind of china and silverware, come on.
    Would I start one? Heck NO! Do I read them? If I'm VERY Bored.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

Do you really think this is going to be a challenge? I noted several problems in the poll before I even read your post.

For starters, the first response in each category seems to be the same thing and neither makes sense as a response to the questions. If someone marks either of these choices, they are lying - they are reading and participating in a poll. Therefore, no one should mark either of these responses. If you had just left it at "waste of space and meaningless", you would have been OK. Additionally, shouldn't the second "waste" response be preceded by a "No"?

Continuing on the theme of the last sentence, some of the responses do not definitively answer the question. For example, if someone marks "I vote in all of them", they have not answered the question. "Yes" can be assumed, but we know the problem that creates. There could be somebody out there that would say "No (I don't like them), but vote anyway. A Yes or No needs to precede some of your choices. Otherwise we have to guess whether their response is a yes or no.

I have at least one more but I'll let you guess what it is.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 24 2008, 08:19 PM) [snapback]12045[/snapback]

JJ,

I have at least one more but I'll let you guess what it is.

Well, poo on you.

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

You are a *card* LOL!

7. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

Your main problem in this poll seems to be that you tried to put in too much detail. A simple Yes, No, or Other for each question with an invite in your post to add comments via a post would have been much easier. Your attempt "to cover all the bases" makes the poll confusing to those who actually read and understand the questions and potential responses.

When I finally take the poll, I will mark Other for both questions. The reason for answering the first question Other should be obvious. For the second, you would think that I should mark "Yes, I have....". Again, you tell me why I cannot truthfully choose that response?

In this instance, it is not a matter of my being more of a "detail" person than you. For better or worse, I am one of those annoying people who, when they hear a question, want to hear an response that actually answers the question. A timely example is the way politicians "answer" questions. They almost never really answer the questioned asked.

Keep trying.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 24 2008, 09:34 PM) [snapback]12049[/snapback]

JJ,

In this instance, it is not a matter of my being more of a "detail" person than you. For better or worse, I am one of those annoying people who, when they hear a question, want to hear an response that actually answers the question. A timely example is the way politicians "answer" questions. They almost never really answer the questioned asked.

Keep trying.

Believe me, I know what you mean here. I'm one of those people, too! For example, if someone asks for my SS number, my immediate response is.. "Why are you requiring this information?" 10 out of 10 times, I get "because our procedures require it." WRONG ANSWER!

JJ

9. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 25 2008, 09:54 AM) [snapback]12052[/snapback]

Believe me, I know what you mean here. I'm one of those people, too! For example, if someone asks for my SS number, my immediate response is.. "Why are you requiring this information?" 10 out of 10 times, I get "because our procedures require it." WRONG ANSWER!

JJ

JJ,

Actually, from the example you gave, I am not certain that you do no what I mean. The problem I mentioned is when people say something in response to the question, but DO NOT ANSWER the question being asked. In your example, they gave an legitimate answer to the question you asked, but you did not like the answer. There is a big difference.

On the subject of questions, you haven't answered mine about why I can't mark "Yes, I have...." to the second item in the poll and be truthfull.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 25 2008, 02:12 PM) [snapback]12059[/snapback]

JJ,

Actually, from the example you gave, I am not certain that you do no what I mean. The problem I mentioned is when people say something in response to the question, but DO NOT ANSWER the question being asked. In your example, they gave an legitimate answer to the question you asked, but you did not like the answer. There is a big difference.

Oh fine.... split hairs....... "Our procedures require it" is NOT a legitimate answer. It's basically a "because I said so" answer, which does not sufficiently justify the request for information.

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 25 2008, 02:12 PM) [snapback]12059[/snapback]

On the subject of questions, you haven't answered mine about why I can't mark "Yes, I have...." to the second item in the poll and be truthfull.

You got me. To me, this is black and white. Either you have started a poll, or you haven't If you have started a poll, you mark "yes I have." I guess you are looking for something deeper than I'm able to see.....

Ok, Jerry, I dare you. YOU start a poll. Show me how it's done.

JJ

11. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

OK, I'll try once more. You asked "why" and they told you "why". They answered the question. It is a legitimate answer - it answered your question. Whether or not you were satisfied with the answer is another story.

For someone claiming to be into details, I am surprised that you did not catch the problem I had with "Yes, I have set up .....". The next word in the choice is POLLS. I have not started POLLS on this site. I have started one POLL. Remember, you challenged me to find fault with your poll. Beware what you request.

On your latest request: You know I started the RV Mileage/Use poll - go ahead and critique that. It is hard to go wrong with a poll that is almost entirely numerical. By its' nature, the poll is objective rather than subjective, thus eliminating confusing choices. KISS.

12. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Jerry,

Lighten up. Your poll ain't perfection, either.

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 25 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]12068[/snapback]

JJ,

OK, I'll try once more. You asked "why" and they told you "why". They answered the question. It is a legitimate answer - it answered your question. Whether or not you were satisfied with the answer is another story.

For someone claiming to be into details, I am surprised that you did not catch the problem I had with "Yes, I have set up .....". The next word in the choice is POLLS. I have not started POLLS on this site. I have started one POLL. Remember, you challenged me to find fault with your poll. Beware what you request.

On your latest request: You know I started the RV Mileage/Use poll - go ahead and critique that. It is hard to go wrong with a poll that is almost entirely numerical. By its' nature, the poll is objective rather than subjective, thus eliminating confusing choices. KISS.

13. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Pianotuna,

As JJ said in her original post and I reminded her in my last, she asked me to "criticize" her poll. If not for her request, I may not have critiqued the poll at all and, if I did, I would not have been so picky. As she and I discussed in another topic, criticism (in this case, pointing out flaws in her poll) can, hopefully, help her do better next time.

Maybe my poll "ain't perfection" and I know I "ain't", but when I screw up (especially factually), I appreciate my errors being pointed out so that I might try to avoid them in the future.
    If JJ wants me to back off or not comment on her posts, she can ask. As she keeps telling us, she is old. At 52, I certainly hope she can handle it. I have a feeling that she enjoys the interaction and attention she gets on this forum.

14. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Jerry,

Constructive criticism is one thing, rudeness is another. Apparently in the "heat of the moment" your reply slipped from one into the other (or that is the way I see it.)

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 26 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]12075[/snapback]

Pianotuna,

As JJ said in her original post and I reminded her in my last, she asked me to "criticize" her poll. If not for her request, I may not have critiqued the poll at all and, if I did, I would not have been so picky. As she and I discussed in another topic, criticism (in this case, pointing out flaws in her poll) can, hopefully, help her do better next time.

Maybe my poll "ain't perfection" and I know I "ain't", but when I screw up (especially factually), I appreciate my errors being pointed out so that I might try to avoid them in the future.
    If JJ wants me to back off or not comment on her posts, she can ask. As she keeps telling us, she is old. At 52, I certainly hope she can handle it. I have a feeling that she enjoys the interaction and attention she gets on this forum.

15. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

OK, I apologize for crossing the line. I went from from criticizing your poll to making a personal observation. Evidently, it was an offensive comment. I was wrong and am sorry.

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 27 2008, 10:29 AM) [snapback]12080[/snapback]

JJ,

OK, I apologize for crossing the line. I went from from criticizing your poll to making a personal observation. Evidently, it was an offensive comment. I was wrong and am sorry.

Thank you. I appreciate and accept your apology.

JJ