Gaseous Smell In Fifth Wheel

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by ottersmom, Jul 14, 2013.

1. ottersmom

ottersmom
    Expand Collapse

Have a terrible gaseous smell that seemed was being drawn in through air conditioner (thought from sewer). After reading from many sites I believe this is not possible.
    My Cameo Carriage is equipped with the 360 shark fin and I have checked all sink traps and they have water holding in them.
    The smell is about to make me sick. After the smell began I shut off a/c for 2 hours, opened vents and window and have tried to air out to localize the smell but am unable to locate it's origin. Toilet smells fine, sinks smell fine do not know where this is coming from. My husband is at work and not allowed to use cell phone so, here's the stupid "girl" question.
    Can this noxious smell like none other I have ever smelled be coming from my washing machine drain if my gray water is being left open? If not, any other suggestions and diagrams..lol..would be helpful. :D

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ottersmom @ Jul 14 2013, 10:04 AM) [snapback]34112[/snapback]

Have a terrible gaseous smell that seemed was being drawn in through air conditioner (thought from sewer). After reading from many sites I believe this is not possible.
    My Cameo Carriage is equipped with the 360 shark fin and I have checked all sink traps and they have water holding in them.
    The smell is about to make me sick. After the smell began I shut off a/c for 2 hours, opened vents and window and have tried to air out to localize the smell but am unable to locate it's origin. Toilet smells fine, sinks smell fine do not know where this is coming from. My husband is at work and not allowed to use cell phone so, here's the stupid "girl" question.
    Can this noxious smell like none other I have ever smelled be coming from my washing machine drain if my gray water is being left open? If not, any other suggestions and diagrams..lol..would be helpful. :D

Yes it could. The smell could be coming back in from the sewer connection into the grey water tank and up the drain maybe. I would think there would be a trap in that pipe or something. Is it a sufur smell. Could be the batteries cooking if they are low on water.

3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Is the smell setting off your propane gas detector? I know from experience that batteries that are gassing off will set it off. If not, can you get a neighbour or campground staff to help you out? Hope everything works out and you can get rid of the smell.

4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

It appears that we never know what the source of the smell really was. I was hoping she would write back to let us know.

Her original comment was that the smell should not have been able to be coming from the A/C was sort of correct. With the A/C running one would assume that the interior of her 5th wheel would be pressurized, thus not possible to be sucking the smell from the sewer. I just wonder if the A/C filters were dirty and rotting or if a rodent had somehow built a nest under the cowling of the unit.

Darrell

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The A/C is a closed loop system that does not bring in any outside air. It simply recirculates the inside air, removing heat as it passes over the cold coils. Her problem might be a corroded or stuck open air admittance valve under one of the sinks. Gray tank odors can sometimes be even worse than black tank odors.