Good Sam Club - Travel Books Any good?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by FirstFrontier, Feb 12, 2006.

1. FirstFrontier

FirstFrontier
    Expand Collapse

Just wondering as a Newbie, first trip wil be in March in our new Jaco Jay Flight 20BH is the Good Sam Club worth joining? Also see that many Travel Books are in the market place. What is a good one, with Atlas, RV Camp sites for the US etc.

Thanks for your help, see you on the road.

Mike

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Good Sam is an excellent deal in my book. You will get 10% off at participating camprgrounds, and to tell you the truth we have only come across one campground, other than KOA's who do not honor it. You also get a subscription to a great rv'ing magazine called Highways. As for as any of the travel books, I assume you are referring to campground directories such as Woodall's or Trailer Life. These are basically only good to help locate a campground - their ratings are pretty much useless. We do have both directories. I find a campground in the book, then go to this website and look at the reviews of people I trust. Sometimes when we are on the road, we have to rely on what the directory says as we may not have internet access, but please be aware that you are looking at what consists basically of an advertisement and the campground may or may not be up to your standards. By the way, welcome to the forum.

3. FirstFrontier

FirstFrontier
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Cheryl, after looking at the books I had realized that they were mostly ad's. I will take you up on the Good Sam Club. For $19.00 Internet offer think that is a good deal.

We are in the process of stocking what we need for first trip. got a lot of good tips from the forum. We are going from Florida to Charleston, SC on first trip so it is not like we can't go to Wal-Mart or something if we forget something like a can opener. Looks like the less weight that you haul the better off you are. What a fun learning experience.

Mike Cooper

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

A few things we discovered we needed after our "maiden voyage" included an umbrella and an extension cord. We had the large power cords for the outdoors ut had not thought about one for inside the rv' Also, make sure you have one of those long stick lighters as I use it about every time I love the stove. Supposedly, I can turn one knob to on and then turn the knob of the burner and it will light but I always find it quicker and easier to just turn the burner knob on and use the lighter.

5. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Okay, make that Light the stove, not love the stove. Good Lord, that makes me sound like some kind of freak!!!

6. FirstFrontier

FirstFrontier
    Expand Collapse

Got it on the list Umbrella, extension cord and matches. As I don't smoke matches would have been last on the list, but then again you use them for things other than smokes. Thanks again,

Mike

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl, what was that about your stove ??? O' boy !!

Firstfrontier make sure you place those matches in an air tight container so that the humidity does not affect them, or they will be useless. Good luck on your shake down trip, safe travels, smile and enjoy your time together. Would like to hear your thoughts on the trip upon return.

8. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Yeah Butch, I am a real homebody - I just love my stove!!! I can think of a lot of other things that would make my heart beat a tad bit faster but I can honestly tell you that I can't think of one kitchen appliance that has that affect on me.

9. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Butch, maybe a better way to put it is that I light my stove's fire - it certainly doesn't light mine!!!

10. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,

Now young lady, I just LOVE my crockpot, throw the food in, set and forget it. Now I sound like Ron Popeil, I think that is his name. Good grief !! This forum is the "best".

11. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Hey, I actually have one of those set it and forget it rotisserie's. It is in the pantry along with the many other kitchen appliances I have thought I could not do without and now gathers dust. I love the "young lady" thing - at 48 years old, I don't get that too often!!!

12. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Firstfrontier,

Mike, I have to agree with Cheryl, Good Sam Club is a good one to join. We belong to two, Good Sam and we also hold a Gold Camper KOA card. The KOA card gives you a fifteen percent discount on your daily rate, but is really nothing to brag about though. Good Sam is definitely the better deal, more campgrounds are members, which gives you more opportunities to use the card and receive the ten percent discount on your daily rate. I think you will be pleased.

13. M and F

M and F
    Expand Collapse

Stove? I use my oven to store my toaster oven. Also have a hotplate and electric pot. I use "their" electricity to cook, not my propane. Same with those heat strips. Can make a long trip - 6 weeks, only using propane for fridge going down the road.

14. RVman3252

RVman3252
    Expand Collapse

I agree that Good Sam is a good deal. The Highway magazine you get it worth the price paid, but then add on the campground discounts and it become a great value. We also belong to Good Sam’s Emergency Road Service… in my opinion it’s another good value for any emergency’s you may have on the road.

Hummm… so you love that Stove Cheryl, and use the long stick lighter to light your fire? Now I know it’s been a long winter, but you need to get out there and camp! :p You’re beginning to make me nervous… :D

RVamn

15. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

O'boy---good grief !

Cheryl,

they are not going to let your stove remark die. But it is funny.

16. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl Fuller
    Why don't you post a picture of the "STOVE" that you love so much...
    Sorry (Butch) made me do it with his last post. LOL

17. RVman3252

RVman3252
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Apr 19 2006, 04:10 AM)
    O'boy---good grief !

Cheryl,

they are not going to let your stove remark die. But it is funny.
    [snapback]3955[/snapback]

Cheryl,

As funny as the remark was, I was just joking around with my remark, No offense was intended, I hope you did not take it as such.

RVman

18. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

The other Cheryl is away on vacation and has limited access to the internet. But, she has a great sense of humor. I'm pretty sure when she gets back, she will see your remark the way you intended it - as good natured teasing.

19. Doug and Cassi

Doug and Cassi
    Expand Collapse

Look into Passport America (50%) discount at participating campgrounds and Escapees. Both good organizations.

My Passport America paid for itself in 4 nights.

Also, if a senior citizen, buy a Golden Age Pass. $10.00 at any USNP, USFS type office. Good for life and 50% off or free entry.

If you're military, reserve, retired military or DOD, almost all military bases have campgrounds that are secure, inexpensive and generally pretty nice.

The Trailer Life campground book is the most thorough, but a good atlas is also a must.

Doug

20. msgtdave

msgtdave
    Expand Collapse

I have been with Good Sam's about 9 years and it is great. Also have the road service, but have never needed it. We went to Alaska last year and one nice book we used was THE NEXT EXIT. It list all exits along interstates and what business, gas, diesel, food, walmart, ect are at each exit. Came in really handy. Trailer Life directory is also nice :rolleyes: