Gps Unit Vs Rear View Monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Michael Kibler, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Michael Kibler

Michael Kibler
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of replacing my Weldex Rear View Monitor with a GPS unit that has a Video input. Has anyone ever tried this conversion before and if so, how did it work? If anyone has any suggestions on this conversion, please reply. If workable, I would end up with a GPS Unit built in my dash with a Rear View Camera.

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Michael Kibler @ Nov 1 2013, 05:53 PM) [snapback]35206[/snapback]

I'm thinking of replacing my Weldex Rear View Monitor with a GPS unit that has a Video input. Has anyone ever tried this conversion before and if so, how did it work? If anyone has any suggestions on this conversion, please reply. If workable, I would end up with a GPS Unit built in my dash with a Rear View Camera.

I had a Clarion unit in my last C class. It was a sound system, GPS with video input combination. I had a rear view camera installed and the system worked very well. I'm not so sure I would go with a Clarion again if I decided to go that route again but there were quite a few manufacturers that offered a similar device. The camera was not mounted high like the one I have factory installed on my present coach but it still worked very well. I believe I spent somewhere between $1,200 to $1,500 Cdn including installation costs.

Darrell

3. Michael Kibler

Michael Kibler
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Nov 2 2013, 10:06 AM) [snapback]35207[/snapback]

I had a Clarion unit in my last C class. It was a sound system, GPS with video input combination. I had a rear view camera installed and the system worked very well. I'm not so sure I would go with a Clarion again if I decided to go that route again but there were quite a few manufacturers that offered a similar device. The camera was not mounted high like the one I have factory installed on my present coach but it still worked very well. I believe I spent somewhere between $1,200 to $1,500 Cdn including installation costs.

Darrell

Thanks for the info.
    I have a Class A Coach with a Weldex Rear View Monitor and camera. As the monitor has quit working and the replacement unit (monitor & camera) in a Color LCD version costs about $900 I was thinking of replacing the monitor with a GPS monitor and hooking it up to the rear view camera. The cost of the GPS unit is about $300 and I may have to purchase a new rear camera. The end result would be having a GPS unit with rear view capabilities all in one system. What I don't know is will the existing wiring from the camera work with the new GPS unit.
    Any thoughts?
    Michael

4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Michael Kibler @ Nov 2 2013, 09:07 AM) [snapback]35209[/snapback]

Thanks for the info.
    I have a Class A Coach with a Weldex Rear View Monitor and camera. As the monitor has quit working and the replacement unit (monitor & camera) in a Color LCD version costs about $900 I was thinking of replacing the monitor with a GPS monitor and hooking it up to the rear view camera. The cost of the GPS unit is about $300 and I may have to purchase a new rear camera. The end result would be having a GPS unit with rear view capabilities all in one system. What I don't know is will the existing wiring from the camera work with the new GPS unit.
    Any thoughts?
    Michael

I'm sorry Michael. I had the Stereo Shop install my unit. I paid the bill and one of their installers walked me through a quick operation demo.

Darrell

5. TomandKat

TomandKat
    Expand Collapse

I bought a Itasca Reyo with the GPS and rear view camera all-in-one. What a pain, when you are driving and following the GPS every time you make a lane change or turn the cameras come on and the GPS disappears for about 5 seconds leaving you with missed exits and wrong turns. I am going to add my Garmin Nuvi 1690 onto the rig and leave the Rand McNalley alone! Have experienced Many missed exits and late notifications. P.S. their DashCam failed in the first month of use also.