Guilty Of An Rwi

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Sep 13, 2012.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

No, I wasn't intoxicated.

I'm camp hosting right now. The day after Labor Day I fell and sprained my left foot to the point where I have some MINOR (according to the doctor) torn ligaments. I was supposed to leave September 11, but I still cannot walk on my foot. I'm on crutches. The rangers let me stay an extra week, said it would be helpful to have a host here. Doctor said it would hurt for two weeks. I hope they are right.

I travel solo, so I don't have a spouse to set up and take down the RV. Trying to do this while on crutches would be not so good. I'm hoping after this weekend I'm at least at the limping stage. Driving isn't a problem, it's the trying to set up an RV while on crutches and wearing a velcro boot.

I was fortunate in that a friend was visiting me at the park the day I fell. Friend took me to the doctor and helped me out in the hosting stuff. After friend left, trying to get around on crutches is exhausting but I'm managing.

Anyone else have an RWI experience?

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I'm so glad you stayed put.

Does buying a new to me RV with a broken left leg count as RWI? If so, count me in!

Take care of your body--we only get issued one.

3. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Ohmygosh! I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. Mend well and feel better soon JJ

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Good Luck. Left foot problem is much better than right foot for driving. Good Luck again.

5. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

I don't know about others, but if you arrived in a campground, came over and asked for help getting setup or loading up to leave, I would be very happy to help you.

I think this would be the same way for most RVers I know. Only thing would depend on what you needed such as with a 5th wheel or Motorhome. I can do it on a 5th wheel and help follow instructions on a motorhome to connect up your service needs.

If you need to travel, ask someone in the campgound with a similar RV and hit the road.

There is a long story behind this.. Maybe some other time.

BC

Edit: checked your blog.. Looks like you have a MH... so it should be even easier. All needed would be leveling if necessary and shore services.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, it's now a week and three days, still hurting, can't put weight on it. My crutches are "borrowed," will need to return them before I leave. Still hoping I can leave on Tuesday. I called the Good Sam Club Standby Sams, there is someone in a town 30 miles from here. I'm hoping that person can get me some crutches (and I reimburse) so I can return the "Borrowed" crutches.

Long story is stupid. I had a block of wood holding down my outside mat from when it was windy. The block of wood got blown in my doorway, I stepped outside my RV, stepped on the block of wood, went down. Ugh.

Unfortunately, the doctor I went to is 90 miles away. That's cuz the friend that was visiting had to go to a place 90 miles from here, I rode with him, thinking my foot was going to be ok. It still hurt, so I went to a doctor in the town 90 miles away instead of the doctor close by. So, that's another complication. Doc said come back if I needed, but the friend isn't here to take me 90 miles away. Oh well.

7. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Man your having a hard time.

My wife injured her knee this spring. Had to have surgery. Couldn't work for 6 weeks. Had to be on crutches for the 6 weeks. Had to lay on her back in this machine that moved her leg 8 hours a day for four weeks. Mostly did it when she slept.

The owners of the park didn't have any problems with it. Of course I was working and that might have helped.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, thanks to the "Standby Sams" of the Good Sam Club. If you belong to the Good Sam Club, they have a list of people who have agreed to be "available." I checked, and a Standby Sam was located 30 miles from where I am. And, guess what, that person just happened to have a pair of crutches and a left leg brace that they no longer needed. That was a miracle and a coincidence. So, I returned the crutches I was "borrowing."

Ankle is less painful, not taking any drugs. Pain is just "annoying" but not bad. The leg brace that the volunteer brought me was a godsend. I put it on and put my velcro boot over the top. I can now stand a bit. I'll try to walk if I can.

I'm still going to try to leave Tues or Weds.

JJ

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

So glad you are doing better. Surely folks would be glad to help you set up. I have a lot of time on crutches and know they can be dangerous in themselves. Be careful with them. Stiff elbows and proper adjustments of the handbars and the legs is the key. My wife is a nurse and has a lot of experience show folks about crutches. Wish we were closer. I went down 5 steps on crutches after knee surgery once. I had my right leg in a cast and drove my stick shift VW for about 8 weeks. Left foot got very busy. You have the right foot and an automatic. You will be fine. You should loosen up the "boot" when driving. Remember a good mental attitude will overcome a bum body any day.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I think my cat has a "sense" for when things are better. My cat usually walks all over my bed when I'm trying to sleep. After I was injured, my cat was real good about being very careful not to walk over my leg. Last night, that all changed. My cat just took this "attitude" about "ok, time to stop this ****" and my cat would walk ON my injured leg. Hurt a tiny bit but not much. Ok, I think I'm on the mend. Going to leave North Dakota Tuesday. Wish me luck, I will still be in my velcro boot trying to pack up the RV.

JJ

11. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Ok, when I was about 15 and staying at a campground with my dad and sister, I was running in the dark, stepped on a rock and rolled my ankle. It hurt some, but on the 3rd day I felt good enough to play some tennis. Of cource, I stepped on a tennis ball with the same ankle and REALLY hurt it. It swelled up like an orange and I couldn't walk on it.

At the same campground the next year (it was a membership place we visited every year), I reached for the side of the pool and dislocated my shoulder. Dad had to drive me 30 miles to the nearest hospital.

Do those count?

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

yes, those definitely count!

Update. Went to another doctor for a second opinion. Doctor said I'm ok to drive. Yes, driving is NOT a problem. The problem is setting up and taking down the RV while on crutches! I don't think the doctor had a clue about what it takes for an RV! Doctor said when I get back home, if I'm still having problems, get an MRI. Yeah right, but traveling and setting up/taking down RV is going to be a real pain. I'm leaving September 25 (Tuesday) for sure, I have reservations in Minot.

This will be fun.

JJ

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Sep 22 2012, 01:20 PM) [snapback]31246[/snapback]

Ok, when I was about 15 and staying at a campground with my dad and sister, I was running in the dark, stepped on a rock and rolled my ankle. It hurt some, but on the 3rd day I felt good enough to play some tennis. Of cource, I stepped on a tennis ball with the same ankle and REALLY hurt it. It swelled up like an orange and I couldn't walk on it.

At the same campground the next year (it was a membership place we visited every year), I reached for the side of the pool and dislocated my shoulder. Dad had to drive me 30 miles to the nearest hospital.

Do those count?

13. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

Drive safe! I hope it will not be as bad as you fear. Keep your days short and your powder dry!

14. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

GUILTY - well, almost. My wife drives the motorhome, I drive the car. A couple years ago, we were camping in southern Indiana on our way to Pigeon Forge. She tripped over something that should not have been there, but it was a state park and they allow tree roots to encroach upon walking paths. She drive herself to the urgent care in town (I had to watch the two kids). They said she fractured her wrist and gave her some vicodin. Next morning she was to go to the local doctor. We checked out of the state park and drove up to the doctors office only to find that they take unscheduled patients after 4PM. We expected to be in Pigeon Forge by 4PM, so she got some more vicodin and cradled her fractured wrist and off we went. The only real issue was Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, then the stop and go down US441, but the vicodin helped. When we got home, she had surgery the next day, a couple of pins and she can almost get the same range of motion.