Hershey PA Area

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bluedurango, Aug 1, 2004.

1. bluedurango

bluedurango
    Expand Collapse

Hi Everyone!
    Already starting to plan for next summer's trip. We are looking at Hershey PA.
    The only campground listed in the reviews is Hershey Highmeadow Campground.
    It was mixed reviews, but the train problems would be a reason for me NOT to stay there. Camping is about peace and relaxation. Not hearing CHOO CHOO all day and night long. Would appreciate hearing from others who have camped in that area.

Thanks! :)

2. RedHatter_B

RedHatter_B
    Expand Collapse

There is a beautiful Thousand Trails park near Hersey, we stayed there two weeks this past spring. Check out the park, you can always have a free weekend if you're willing to listen to a short sales pitch. B) We've been members for over a year now, enjoyed all the parks we've stayed at across the country.

donbar@mail.escapes.com

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Starlite campground.... THey have a awesome view from the ridge but it is 20 miles to Hershey.

It is a bit tight backing in a couple of places but we fit with our 34 foot MH. Others were much bigger.

4. SfcNav

SfcNav
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at High Meadow cg three years in a row. We tent camped and this year we bought our first pop-up trailer !!!!! :D

It is a very nice campground and the staff is very nice. Only bad thing about the cg is some of the sites are very open and very close together. We went with a group and rented 3-5 sites next to each other so it wasn't bad at all. I'm not sure how it would work with strangers next to us.

I would watch out for the noise factor. The staff does a nice job of noise patrol at night but sometimes... There is also a train that runs by the campground that can be very loud. It runs all the time so if you decide to make reservations try to make them away from the train. Like I said we stayed there three years in a row and the train never bothered us.

The bathrooms are clean and there is also a big slop sink next to the small bathrooms to wash dishes or etc.

They also have a nice playground and pool for the kids or they can bring their bikes to ride around. Our guys played in a samll stream and played manhunt after it got dark. There is a curfew for the kids to keep them on the straight and narrow. =))) Again the staff did a nice job with that.

They also have a shuttle bus to and from the park that I would HIGHLY recommend using if you're interested in going to Hershey Park or Hershey world. Since the campground is only a few minutes away it's a quick ride to and from the parks. The shuttle lets you off right outside the main gate. You pick it up right where it leaves you off. We let the kids go to the park on it by themselves this year. (They are 14 and 15) The shuttle has a very convieniet s bus stop and the shuttles come in a very timely manner. Approx every 15 minutes or so in the peak season. The drivers are very helpful and very nice. The camp staff can also help with tix purchases and such.

There is also a Kmart that is close by if you forget to bring/buy anything you might need/forgotten.

Everytime we go to Hershey Park we stay at Hershey High Meadow.

5. hyperchickmom

hyperchickmom
    Expand Collapse

I would only recommend staying at Highmeadow if you are going to Hershey Park. You receive discount tickets & free shuttle svc...But stay away from the full hook up sites..sewer smell was strong due to lots of rain prior to our stay, very buggy too. One of the pools was closed and the other one was not "sparkling" as the brochure had described it...