Indiana To Sc

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by hoosiercamper, Jun 14, 2009.

1. hoosiercamper

hoosiercamper
    Expand Collapse

We are planning a visit to Pirateland (w/ our 5 kids) in Myrtle Beach, SC. First off, we are kinda nervous about driving through the mountains. We have had our TT for about 3 years, but have always gone North and West, mainly flat travels. :) We are considering which way to go from Indiana, the long way through WV, or the straighter shot, through the Kentucky Hills, N Tennesse and NC. Has anyone made this trip that could give us suggestions?? Also, we are planning to stay a night or two on the way to and from SC. We need suggestions for stopping points, close to the innerstate. We don't want to waste time getting to a place just to sleep. THANKS!!

2. RockHound

RockHound
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(hoosiercamper @ Jun 15 2009, 12:07 AM) [snapback]16971[/snapback]

We are planning a visit to Pirateland (w/ our 5 kids) in Myrtle Beach, SC. First off, we are kinda nervous about driving through the mountains. We have had our TT for about 3 years, but have always gone North and West, mainly flat travels. :) We are considering which way to go from Indiana, the long way through WV, or the straighter shot, through the Kentucky Hills, N Tennesse and NC. Has anyone made this trip that could give us suggestions?? Also, we are planning to stay a night or two on the way to and from SC. We need suggestions for stopping points, close to the innerstate. We don't want to waste time getting to a place just to sleep. THANKS!!

Given the date on this post, you may have already gone on this trip. I just signed up here, so this is the first I've been in the forum. Don't know a good route to give you, as we travel to Myrtle Beach from Georgia. We go over a couple of pretty good mountains with a pretty big/heavy pop-up and have no trouble. The camper doesn't have brakes, either. Our truck has 4 wheel disc brakes, and does fine. You should be OK. You probably have reservations at Pirateland already, but just to let you know, I recently stayed there with 4 kids, and our time at the campground was terrible. I have a review that will be posted soon, but if you don't like a drunken party atmosphere, you should at the very least say away from the beachfront road from around 9PM until quiet time. If you are lucky enough to have a spot way back from the ocean front sites, just take a stroll up to the beach during this party time, and you'll see what I mean. Just put your fingers in your children's ears first. Good luck. If you end up not liking your stay, don't give up on Myrtle Beach. Just try the Myrtle Beach State Park next time. Nice and quiet, lots of space between sites, their own beach and pier, and much cheaper. Even some sites with full hookups. Only draw back is no pool, which we enjoy having. Was full up during the time of our vacation, though. Check out Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville at Broadway at the Beach. The whole family loves it.