Less People Camping.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Wink, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Any increase in the number of reviews coming into this site is possibly more a function of an increase in the number of reviewers. If there are 100 more reviews coming in every week compared to last year, that may be because there are 100 new reviewers who were not writing reviews last year. As Texasrvers noted, a decrease in the number of reviews coming in could have several causes and not proof that there is less camping. Then again, some of us are traveling less do to reasons other than gas costs or our economic situation. I, for example, did not take my normal 4-5 week trip to the Gulf coast this May due to medical problems. I'll be lucky to get in 2 months on the road this year versus my normal 4+ months.

2. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I, for example, did not take my normal 4-5 week trip to the Gulf coast this May due to medical problems. I'll be lucky to get in 2 months on the road this year versus my normal 4+ months.

We also, due to medical issues and pressing work issues for DW, have been forced to cut our normal 6 month journey into 10 weeks. I hate when life gets in the way of fun.

3. Wind Runner

Wind Runner
    Expand Collapse

After spending the winter in the Greater New Orleans area (visiting family) starting in May I took the southwestern route through TX, NM, AZ, NV, & CA and am currently in OR enroute to WA then BC. Mostly Passport America except where not available. The further west I got, the higher the occupancy rates. Highest fuel price was $5.29 for diesel just outside of Yosemite (for once, cheaper in the park). Crown Point Campground in the Columbia River Gorge was full for July 4th, but otherwise almost always one empty space.

4. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Just completed 2 overnights on I-75 between TN and FL. Both campgrounds told me that they were having the slowest year ever this year. The heat and drought had some effect, but both cited the economy as their belief for the down years. These places are normally slower in summer, but this year both campgrounds were near empty when we were there.

5. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Do to work schedule and an elderly mom DW and I have not been out as much as we should be this year. Living in the Western New York area our local CGs are inundated with folks down from Ontario, Canada much more so than I can recall in the past. What we have also noticed is that there seems to be much less driveable rigs out there and more pull behinds, especially pop-ups and TT. Sorta a side note, came home on 7/15 from a trip to Sicily, Italy. While taking in many beautiful parts of this country with family (there for a celebration) we both wined "we wish we were camping in our MH"!