Map Update System

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by John Blue, Nov 23, 2008.

1. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have a new map update system on line now that is cool. As you pull up a review look at (view on map). Chick on it and you see streets or Google sat map, now the good part you can move the pointer to correct place if it is wrong. I have checked a number of parks and find lots are correct and some are not. Move the pointer to correct place and sent it in. This will help everyone find campgrounds that sometimes turn up on top of a mountain top or in middle of a lake per the map. I like it and it works well.

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

State Parks are going to be difficult, at least for the ones I have stayed in. I went back and tried to "lock" some state parks, and the pointer was in the middle of a bunch of trees! I moved the map around and couldn't find the actual "entrance."

Also, who ever did the "aerial photography" for the maps (I don't think these are "real time") didn't always get a good shot. I have come upon maps that were "fuzzy." I have also come across maps that were half clear and half fuzzy. It was clear when I accessed it, but when I "moved" it (and this was WITHOUT doing a "zoom in"), the next shot over was "fuzzy."

JJ

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 23 2008, 11:22 AM) [snapback]14067[/snapback]
    Also, who ever did the "aerial photography" for the maps (I don't think these are "real time") didn't always get a good shot. I have come upon maps that were "fuzzy." I have also come across maps that were half clear and half fuzzy. It was clear when I accessed it, but when I "moved" it (and this was WITHOUT doing a "zoom in"), the next shot over was "fuzzy."
    JJ

Those are satellite shots. Resolution varies. In using Google Earth, it looks like the better resolution shots are on the more highly populated area.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

How often are the satellite images updated? I checked out our house and the image does not contain our new addition which is now 5 years old.

5. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ha! :lol:
    Good call on the dates of these Google Maps. Just been perusing the "construction period" of a newer RV park (now completed), that we stayed at this summer. Probably 3 year-ago snapshot back in time. Still great info for entrance access etc.
    Thanks!
    B)

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Still great info for entrance access etc

Yes, it does still provide great information, and I appreciate the effort to get this on line. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't being critical. I was just curious about the dates. There are probably areas that have newer images. They can't update everything everyday.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Nov 23 2008, 12:15 PM) [snapback]14069[/snapback]

Those are satellite shots. Resolution varies. In using Google Earth, it looks like the better resolution shots are on the more highly populated area.

Satellite. Ok, that makes sense.....

JJ