New Rv'er Needing Timing Advice

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Jess Ray, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Jess Ray

Jess Ray
    Expand Collapse

We are newly retired and have decided to rent a 31 ft. motorhome for a trip to Telluride and back from Chicago.

I have some scenic routes chosen for the way out but I am confused on how many hours I should allow for driving, breaks and sightseeing so that I can reserve a RV park site that I can get to before nightfall.

We have scheduled four days to get to Telluride so we have the time to see things and stop along the way. But without the experience of driving an RV I find it difficult to determine how much driving time I should allow per day and how many miles I can realistic cover within a day.

Any insights are welcome.
    Jess

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Jess: Each person has their own tolerances and preferences, but I personally try to drive no more than 200 miles in a day. We drive a 41 foot motorhome with a toad, and I find that, after 200 miles, I become less than a proficient driver, and need to stop for the night. Of course, sometimes, we go slightly more, and sometimes slightly less, depending on what is available in terms of overnight stops.

3. Jess Ray

Jess Ray
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Aug 19 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]4862[/snapback]

Jess: Each person has their own tolerances and preferences, but I personally try to drive no more than 200 miles in a day. We drive a 41 foot motorhome with a toad, and I find that, after 200 miles, I become less than a proficient driver, and need to stop for the night. Of course, sometimes, we go slightly more, and sometimes slightly less, depending on what is available in terms of overnight stops.

Thanks for the input...any idea what speed you average? If I take the scenic route I assume I will be on 2 lanes quite a bit.

4. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

This is a guess because I've never computed it, but I am going to guess that we average around 50 miles per hour. Hope this is helpful.

5. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

That is what we usually average with stops for fuel and food on the trips we take. I calucate the arrival time based on 50 miles per hour.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Jess,

We drive around 60-62 on interstates and 55 on other roads. We travel around 250/300 per day and some days we only travel 50 miles or less. We always stop before night fall, 3:00 to 4:00 pm if possible. Hard part is planning time to stop and see places as you travel. We find a lot of new places to see and things to do as we travel. All this eats up time but that is the good part about RV life. We always build in more days per trip so if you do not feel good stay put and read a book. We call it bad weather days. Enjoy the travel life.

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We have a 36' motor home with a toad, and we travel about 5 to 6 hours per day. The roads we use are mostly two lane, and we figure roughly, on average 35 to 40 mph. This may sound low, but when you figure in stops, for what ever the reason, it is pretty close. Interstate driving is at 60mph, and is another story, we try not to use the interstates for numerous reasons. The two lane roads in the northeast are good roads, but can be curvy and up & down, thus the 35 to 40 mph average. Our last trip to Maine was: 247 miles in 5.5 hours road time, an average of about 45 mph with some short interstate travel. There are many variables that should be considered. We hope you enjoy your trip, and wish you and yours a safe journey.

8. troyster

troyster
    Expand Collapse

We have an F150 and pull a 26' TT. We often drive a little more per day then some people, (as a former long haul trucker, I tend to keep driving until my wife tells me to stop). We generally drive 6-8 hours a day, and average about 350-400 miles. for health and safety, we make sure and stop every 90 minutes to stretch and breath. Of course, terrain, traffic, and weather will all be factors as well. Some days, 6-8 hours of driving takes 12 hours to do.

We just got back from a 4300 mile trip that took 22 days, but we stopped for 3 days in Yellowstone and 4 days in Cody WY.

9. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

we pull a 30 ft travel trailer. generally we travel about 60-62 on interstates and 50-55 on two lanes depending on the conditions, we try to travel between 5 and 7 hours per day and on a long trip will scheduel a day off to rest up if we have two days of tough driving. also try to stop at least every two hours to stretch and regroup.
    You should allow plenty of extra timas it gets filled somehow even when you dont expect it.

10. Jess Ray

Jess Ray
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Aug 22 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]4917[/snapback]

We have a 36' motor home with a toad, and we travel about 5 to 6 hours per day. The roads we use are mostly two lane, and we figure roughly, on average 35 to 40 mph. This may sound low, but when you figure in stops, for what ever the reason, it is pretty close. Interstate driving is at 60mph, and is another story, we try not to use the interstates for numerous reasons. The two lane roads in the northeast are good roads, but can be curvy and up & down, thus the 35 to 40 mph average. Our last trip to Maine was: 247 miles in 5.5 hours road time, an average of about 45 mph with some short interstate travel. There are many variables that should be considered. We hope you enjoy your trip, and wish you and yours a safe journey.

11. Jess Ray

Jess Ray
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all who have written....this was very helpful. I am nervous about the trip and think I have alocated too many hours per day to travel the distance from Chicago to Telluride Co. I am afraid I will learn the hard way on how many miles per day I can do.

You advice on speeds and break is very helpful.

Jess