Nova Scotia - Newfoundland Ferry / PETS ??

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Medic73, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

I'm concerned about the 8/9 hour [that's the shorter one] crossing. As I read the rules at the ferry operations WEB Site .... pets MUST be kept in your vehicle AND you cannot visit your vehicle (to pee them etc.) or better yet stay with them. The truck Ford f250 CC is OK for a couple of hours ..... the 5th wheel with slides in ?? Not happy .... anyone do the trip with a couple of medium size (70 lb) dogs. In site?
    Thanks.

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

When we went on the NL ferries, there was a kennel on some of the ferries that could be used, but you had to provide a carrier for the pets. With 70 lb dogs, you would have to have pretty big carriers. I guess all you can do is take them out for a walk immediately before boarding the ferry and hope for the best.

Medic73 likes this.
  3. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

you can't get there from here. ????

Well there's more than 1 way to skin a cat ( I do NOT advocate skinning any cats ... I have 2).

map shows there's a ferry from Labrador into northern Newfoundland ...... ya ..... nope.

"Ferry Route:"
    Crossing Times:

St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon: 1 hour 45 minutes (36 km)

Note: Difficult ice conditions may increase crossing times.

As far as I can tell you have to access Labrador from NFL and can't drive to Blanc Sabion. GREAT.

OK Canada time to build a road and real road from PQ to Labrador.

Attached Files:

4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The wife and I drove this route in 2014. There were a few patches where we had to slow down, but I was surprised that both provinces had paved several sections recently that were as good as major roads down south. We took 2 days to get from Baie Comeau to Labrador City. It was another 2 days travel to Blanc Sablon.

Campgrounds are sparse along this route. We ended up spending one night at a turnout to a trail only because the one we figured on going to was hard to find and no one we talked to could tell us where it was located. Still there are a few campgrounds at the dam sites and near the mines at the Quebec Labrador border.

This is a very remote section of Canada and if you wanted to bring it up to the Trans Canada highway standard be prepared to spend billions of dollars. I'm not holding my breath. I'm still waiting for the TCH to be four laned through BC.

Still, if you really want to get to Newfoundland take the ferry from North Sydney to Port aux Basques. Perhaps you can take a collapsible pet carrier, so it won't take up much room.

https://www.amazon.ca/Go-Pet-Club-A...=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_2rasiz9pha_e

Banditoman60 and Medic73 like this.
  5. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

THX for your reply ...... I wanted to see if you could get to the northern Labrador / NFLD crossing (1hr 45 min) via road ..... my BASECAMP with Garmin with 2019.1 maps says there is no way to drive there / there is a (2 day ferry ride on the southern coast of Labrador ...... worse yet ....).

I would love to travel to NFLD but I won't go if I have to lockup [read kennel] my dogs for the transit via the NS to NFLD route AND I want to take my trailer.

Screenshot 2018-05-16 11.26.57.png YIKS. ...... NFLD really is isolated ....

6. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Your Garmin sounds like an older model I used to depend on. I finally went to another GPS that showed more roads in Canada including the route through Labrador.
    A shame you won't be able to visit Newfoundland. It's a great place to visit.

7. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

Garmin RV760 with the latest map update ...... does Screenshot 2018-05-16 16.32.20.png not show this BUT Google maps.

THANKS VERY much trip is ON ...... next summer.

Onemoretrail likes this.