Ocean Waves Obx N.c.

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by deerslayer, Mar 14, 2007.

1. deerslayer

deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

planing a trip to the obx n.c. at the ocean waves campground would like a site recommendation from someone that has stayed here thanks

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We stayed there about a year ago. We didn't have a lot of interaction with the staff except for check in and they were friendly then. The campground itself was nice. The sites are mostly back in. Can't remember if they even have pull throughs. Our site was plenty long for our 37' RV with the tow car parked in front. The roads and cement pads were plenty wide enough that backing in was easy. Some sites have trees but most are pretty open. There was a picnic table at our site, but I can't remember about a grill. It is only a short walk over the sand dunes to a beautiful beach with lots of shells. They had a pool, but it was too cold to use so I can't say if it was nice or not. Don't know about a hot tub. They had a small store, but we did not get anything there. I think we had to go to the office for wifi. I think they had cable. Good grief I can't remember very well, but it was a year ago and there have been lots of other parks in between then and now.

That's the good news. The bad news is that their restrooms/showers were horrible. That part I remember very well. They had 3 bath houses and they all looked the same. They were old and needed repair. There were leaky pipes and flaking paint. They were also filthy. Lots of standing dirty water and tons of bugs. We were there 5 days and it never looked like they were cleaned the whole time we were there. So just be aware of this if you don't have on board facilities. If you don't have to rely on their facilities it is a pretty nice place to stay. I might stay there again (maybe their bath houses are better now or we just hit them at a bad time), but I would check out the KOA and Camp Hatteras first.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

PS If you haven't done so already look at the Ocean Waves web site. Their campground map is pretty accurate. You can see that the spaces up front closer to the office look a bit smaller, while spaces #30 and above are a little longer. We were in 67. Also the sites at the top of the screen (north side I think) have houses just over the fence and according to one of the reviews they party a lot and can look right down on your RV. When we were there there were no houses behind us on our side. The sites that are closest to the beach have more sand, but ours had grass. You can also see that there are more trees toward the front. However, that area seemed to have more long term residents, but I could be wrong. After thinking about it this is a descent place. I just wish they would do something about the showers.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

First of all they have the best sites in the area. They are close to the beach adn the pool is ok. It is a vinal lined pool but ok for cooling off and the CG does not have too many sites so it is not very crowded. There is no hot tub or any other type of pool. The water is warm in the summer.

The bath houses are old yes but they work. Sure they need updating but the rates they charge are half of the other guys and we have grass on our sites not sand and burrs.

5. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(deerslayer @ Mar 14 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]6506[/snapback]

planing a trip to the obx n.c. at the ocean waves campground would like a site recommendation from someone that has stayed here thanks

Ocean Waves is nice enough but I would recommend Camp Hatteras just before you get to Ocean Waves. Their campground consists of sites on the ocean side as well as the sound side. We found the sound side much more to our liking (ie: not many kids, quiet & small). Many sites back right up to the sound and you can watch the kite surfers, windboarders and the sunsets from this side. The only negative is their rates are through the roof but if you plan a vacation and just set aside the money, it's a wonderful resort. We will definitely return even with the rates. :rolleyes: