Oil,over $106 A Barrel And Climbing!

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RL36, Mar 7, 2008.

1. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

I was on my way to Atlanta from Charlotte on wednesday for business. I decided to drive to save the Atlanta airport headache.I stopped at the Flying J in Blacksburg,SC on my way there,got gas in my honda accord at $2.93 a gallon the next day I returned home and stopped at the same Flying J and gas was $3.06 a gallon "WHY" :angry: . When I pulled up to pump my gas an RV was getting gas next to me,I struck up a conversation with him and his wife and they were retired.He was telling me that they were going to have to park there RV and put there retirement on hold for a while becouse the fuel costs are so high. He was telling me that he had a conversation at a truck stop a few days before that with a truckdriver who said he cant afford to stay in business anymore becouse of such high fuel costs and that guy told him that alot of truckers are going to sell or even walk away from there trucks :eek: . He was telling me that that truckdriver could make more money with less stress by working at a local fast food joint. This looks really scary :( and theres no light at the end of this long dark tunnel,so how high does it have to get before you park your RV and not drive it?

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to hard times and high prices at the pump. We live close to the Lazy Days in Seffner, FL with a Flying-J next door. Number days ago I past by the Flying-J and found no let up in the number on high dollar RV units moving in and out of the fuel pumps. Couple more days later, found the same action again and diesel was $3.69 with pump gas $3.17. I did not see any small units at pumps over three days, only the big boys.

High fuel cost get in everyones pockets very soon. I sent in order for solar tubes from AZ. Shipping should be around $35 now cost $150 due to high fuel prices. All truck shipping will go up also think about all the stuff you buy from your local (Wal-Mart China) store. Ships also use diesel fuel by the tons per day to get the "lead" over here. Now cost me more to travel over overseas plus our ship cruiser's.

I can understand the truck drivers and high cost and if I had one I would also sell it and find a new line of work if you can find a new jobs now. I been around the trucking business and it is no fun.

We have had 35 years to fix the oil problems but oil companies and our government have made tons of dollars to date with no help yet. I see no light in the tunnel from overseas oil. Next we all will be looking at oil from the French fry tables to use.

As to park or go RV's, everyone will need to see how this will woks out. The big boys will run and I think the part time people will drop out for now. We found this same problem years ago in New Orleans, lots of people were turning back home due to 10 cent per gal. price increase in gas.

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I you haven't already seen it, check out the thread I mistakenly put under The Campground section of the the Forum. It should have been here under General Chat. It is a POLL about RV usage and the effect of gas prices. Currently, according to the poll results, 70% of the respondents are not reducing their RV usage yet. Additionally, the majority travel less than 10,000 miles per year. So, for many, a dollar increase in fuel costs increases your annual cost of RV use by less than $1,000. This varies, of course, with what your RV is (towable up to big rig) and your annual mileage. A pickup towing a TT travelling 2,000 miles a year may may spend may spend an additional $3-400, but a big rig doing 20,000 miles may spend an extra $5,000.

One would think that somebody with rig that costs $200,000 or more would not be economically challenged by a couple extra grand a year in operation costs. As I noted in the first post of the aforementioned POLL, some will have to alter their travel plans (mileage or lenght of trip) to offset the increased fuel costs. I am one of those.

By the way, as I was returning from a trip to New England shortly after Katrina in 2005, I experienced a price increase of more than $0.50 a gallon in 2 days. The oil companies used that disaster to get billions in unwarranted profits for several weeks.

4. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:angry: Ive always said our government needs to force the oil companies to lower fuel prices and whatch the american peaples confidence soar,and it would stimulate our economy way more than a stupid check for $300 or $600 dollars that most peaple are going to put towards paying a bill..If our useless president :blink: and useless congress :blink: really cared about us than they would fight tooth and nail to get it done. Oh wait congress is probably on vacation and the president is planning what he is going to do with all that free time come january!!!!! :(

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

RL36: I could not agree with you more. This country is like a giant cruise ship--once we decide to turn, it will take miles to slow down and actually make the turn. Meantime, we get farther and farther behind, lose more and more businesses, have higher and higher unemployment, see our so-called friends shafting us right and left, and so forth. Yet, we keep sending the same crooks back to Washington again and again. What's wrong with this picture? Us.

6. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:angry: When you keep repeating the same nonsence over and over again its called insanity. How many times does our government :blink: have to hit there heads against a wall to finally figure out,"DAMN that hurts" (our country).

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I am frustrated by the high prices ($3.27 and climing in NW Washington, because we have a freaking high gas tax!!!!).

The only way to FORCE the issue is to find, AND QUICK!, some alternative fuel sources. Find a cheaper way to fuel our vehicles, and the oil companies will change their tune.

JJ

8. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

I wish we had your gas prices. I'm in California at the moment, gas is $3.49 to $3.59 for reg unleaded! :eek:

9. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Silvana @ Mar 9 2008, 09:02 AM) [snapback]10608[/snapback]

I wish we had your gas prices. I'm in California at the moment, gas is $3.49 to $3.59 for reg unleaded! :eek:

Don't forget diesel at over 3.75 a gallon. well over $100 to fill my truck. A trip to Monterey will cost me about $150 in fuel and $75 a night at the RV park. I won't be going much as long as this last's.

10. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Diesel at the Petro Truck Stop in Ft Myers was $3.95 yesterday. Just checked the Flying J site and there are a number of places over $4. I would doubt many of us will ever see it down again. Oil companies have had their people in power for some time now and we are going to live with the results.
    Back in 1995 when I started full timing . I beleive the average miles per year was 8000, so it really has not change all that much if that was correct.

When you keep repeating the same nonsence over and over again its called insanity. How many times does our government have to hit there heads against a wall to finally figure out,"DAMN that hurts"

It is not their head that is hitting the wall, it is ours. Than ask the same question.

11. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

:angry: Ok,so who is in bed with the oil company's? And why doesn't our president and government do something about what is going on with these prices?Are they blind,do they not see whats going on with the housing market also,do they see as a country we are really really hurting :( ,but they alow this to go spiraling out of control,someone has to wake up and stop the bleeding! I also heard it cheaper to refine diesel that it is gas,so if that is true the oil company's are making more money off of those truck's that are delivering those goods to our store's which pass on a higher delivery price to the supermarket than put a higher price on the good's that we buy whith a terrible economy and that means the oil companys are sitting back laughing at all of us while a "HUGE" :eek: percentage of americans are losing jobs,houses,cars,health ins,WOW where is our :blink: president when we need him the most,oops forgot he's dancing on the steps of the white house treating his last,thank god few months like its a damn party.He should be fighting for us 24 hours a day,do what ever it takes. Call meetings get eveyone together and see what it would take to fix what is wrong. Or just give out a check for a few hundred dollars,ahhhh that will pasify them,it looks like Im doing something and care!! My 11 year old daughter can figure this out and do a better job of running this country,with some of her class mates as her cabinet and othe 5th graders as congress,hey at least they would get stuff done and make progress! :p

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Mar 9 2008, 02:17 PM) [snapback]10611[/snapback]

Don't forget diesel at over 3.75 a gallon. well over $100 to fill my truck. A trip to Monterey will cost me about $150 in fuel and $75 a night at the RV park. I won't be going much as long as this last's.

What RV park charges $75 a night?????? The most I have ever paid is $50, and it was in Bend, OR, and this was a REALLY REALLY FANCY RV PARK!!!!

JJ

13. donm

donm
    Expand Collapse

We need to hold our presidential candidates feet to the fire on this. Jimmy Carter was the last president who thought energy policy was a number one issue for our country. He started an alternative energy program which Reagan cancelled as soon as he took office. It's probably going to take gas lines again before this is taken seriously.

14. chuckl

chuckl
    Expand Collapse

Folks the problem is only partly the Oil companies fault the main culprat are the Wall st traders who have run up the price on pure spectulation probably over 50% of the cost is speculation by the traders

15. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

Then like I said in my last post,why doesn't the president do as he should as commander in chief call an emergency meeting with the oil companys and others and find out why this is happening. Let wall street know that they are working together to bring down the cost of oil so the american peaple can have some kind of releaf. Maybe he doesn't want to bite the hand that's going to feed him after his lazy 8 years as :huh: president! Like he said he is going to Crawford in January to kick his feet up,thats what is important to him not "US"!!!!! :angry:

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RL36 @ Mar 10 2008, 04:03 AM) [snapback]10637[/snapback]

Then like I said in my last post,why doesn't the president do as he should as commander in chief call an emergency meeting with the oil companys and others and find out why this is happening. Let wall street know that they are working together to bring down the cost of oil so the american peaple can have some kind of releaf. Maybe he doesn't want to bite the hand that's going to feed him after his lazy 8 years as :huh: president! Like he said he is going to Crawford in January to kick his feet up,thats what is important to him not "US"!!!!! :angry:

Kind of makes me wonder if a "certain" person in high power engineered the whole Middle East war in the first place...... as well as the event that triggered it.....

(ducking and running.......)

JJ

17. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Watch what you say, as there are those who police the postings and will judge what you have to say as Un-American and dis-loyal to this great nation........... Personally, you have that right to voice your opinion on whatever the subject matter.........
    We have fought wars for this right......

18. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 9 2008, 09:36 PM) [snapback]10626[/snapback]

What RV park charges $75 a night?????? The most I have ever paid is $50, and it was in Bend, OR, and this was a REALLY REALLY FANCY RV PARK!!!!

JJ

Most coastal RV parks from Monterey south and they really aren't fancy at all, but that's California for ya.

19. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Butch: Thank you and I totally agree with you. There are those on this site who, when you speak out against something our government is or is not doing, consider you disloyal or UnAmerican. Sad. I spent four years of my life in the military and three years in the reserves to help make sure people CAN voice their opinions. But I pay no attention to those who tell me I am not loyal because I speak out.

20. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

Look, to me it's not a republican thing or a democratic thing it need's to be about doing the "RIGHT" thing. As the president you want to go out beat your chest like your all high and mighty and holyer than thou,threaten other country's cost us $12 billion dollars a month lose tons of live's,dont do anything about these peaple losing there homes,jobs,healthcare and so many other issues. Heard on the news today gas will go up 30-40cents in the next 3 weeks,$12 billion a month for this war,1000's of jobs lost last month and our dollar is the weakest it has ever been. Now that sounds "UNAMERICAN" to me! I was watching the news this morning and one of bush's ex cabinet person Andy Card came on and had the nerve to say that the only peaple that are hurting are the peaple living in the coastal cities but middle america is doing just fine."I ABOUT FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR" thats the arigant's (or how ever you spell it,sorry) that these idiot's have. I honestly think that they got us in such a deep hole they know deep down inside they can'not get us out. So now he can't wait to get to crawford,tx so he can kick his feet up,sit back and watch the next president come in with there work cut out for them and try and bring us back as "PROUD AMERICANS" :)