Rules For Pets....what Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by navypilot, Nov 23, 2013.

1. navypilot

navypilot
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I've been quietly reading the forum for about 18 months now. I am impressed by the care and passion which people offer their insights. My first forum topic is simple, but important.

What do you feel the policy on pets in a park should be? I'm talking to lovers, haters, and everyone in between. Let's just go ahead and say that pets are allowed. Since they are allowed, what are policies you'd like to see implemented? What are some of the best ones you've seen around North America? Think about pets outside, pets inside, cleaning up waste, proximity to other campers, specific species that should be disallowed, etc.

I prefer fair and reasoned responses. I see a lot of passion for pets across the spectrum, but I haven't seen a specific topic that addresses policies. So, if you were writing the policy, what would it include?

Thanks for your insights...Roll Tide. :D

Ellistea likes this.
  2. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I have no pets......they don't fit my lifestyle and I am admittedly too lazy to change my lifestyle. On the other hand, I love dogs....other people's dogs, to be specific. All I ask of dog owners in RV parks (and in my neighborhood when I'm home) is that they pick up after their dogs and, if their dogs bark an excessive amount (and "excessive" is relative to whether I am trying to sleep or relax), that they do something about it. I don't poop outside your door, I don't pee on your tires, I don't bark at nothing for hours; I ask the same of your dogs.

I would like to see RV parks enforce whatever rules they have, be it about picking up after dogs or leaving dogs to bark or dogs being off leash. But whatever the rules are....ENFORCE THEM!!!

I was in one park in Oregon where they ejected our new next-door neighbors only a few hours after they got there because of their barking dogs. There was another park in Arizona where a "bounty" was offered to rat out your neighbors for not picking up after dogs. I have been in parks where apparently the "rules" only applied to transients, not seasonals or perms or the owner's dogs. I've been in parks where *I* could have pooped in front of the office or howled at the moon and nobody would care. I've been in parks where there weren't a lot of rules, but "common sense" seemed to prevail.

Ellistea and SGSanctuary like this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

One rule I would like to see would be a age restriction on walking dogs in campgrounds , seen this at a large resort campground in ME, thought it was a good idea...knowing kids will be kids when it comes to cleaning up after their pets. additionally, kids when it comes to safety don't understand the rules as well when it comes to approaching other strange breeds or people. This all said NOT a cure all when it comes to unpicked up dog poop or safety but certainly could help.

On the same thought know of a few campgrounds where their policies state they don't allow dogs walked through the campground because of the same for mentioned subject, one solution would be to have a signed disclaimer that the camper/rver will pick up after their pets with consequences if the rules are not followed... again, NOT a cure all.

Never had a problem with the four legged campers... its always been the two legged ones we had problems with. :rolleyes:

Mike

FosterImposters likes this.
  4. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I would imagine when this topic is done the rules would be several pages long and no one would be allowed to have a pet in a RV Park LOL

Geppetto likes this.
  5. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Good luck. For some people a policy that required the pet owner to apologize in the event of a fatal mauling would be too strict. For others, a policy that allowed guests to have relatives that owned pets in foreign countries wouldn't be strict enough. There is no sweet spot, no middle ground, no compromise that will work for everyone.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I agree with jamarynn1. Most pet friendly parks do have adequate rules in place for pet/pet owner behavior. The key is enforcement, as stated.

One rule I am seeing in a few parks now, that I would like to see expanded to all, is a restriction on using those long retractable leashes when there's a 5 or 6 foot leash rule in place.

7. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Nov 24 2013, 11:44 AM) [snapback]35346[/snapback]

I agree with jamarynn1. Most pet friendly parks do have adequate rules in place for pet/pet owner behavior. The key is enforcement, as stated.

One rule I am seeing in a few parks now, that I would like to see expanded to all, is a restriction on using those long retractable leashes when there's a 5 or 6 foot leash rule in place.

Given that parks apparently have enough trouble getting people to pick up after their pets or get them to use any kind of leash, do you really think they could enforce a 5 foot leash rule without upsetting the multitudes of pet owners who use retractable leashes? And how long would be before we got a post slamming the money grabbing RV park that said a guest's retractable leash was unsuitable, but they had 5 footers for sale in the camp store?

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Nov 25 2013, 06:01 PM) [snapback]35349[/snapback]

Given that parks apparently have enough trouble getting people to pick up after their pets or get them to use any kind of leash, do you really think they could enforce a 5 foot leash rule without upsetting the multitudes of pet owners who use retractable leashes? And how long would be before we got a post slamming the money grabbing RV park that said a guest's retractable leash was unsuitable, but they had 5 footers for sale in the camp store?

I've seen at least one rule that does allow the use of the extendable leashes, but restricts extending them more than the 5 or 6 feet stated for all leashes. Sure its tougher to enforce that, but in at least some parks, there are various staff members out and about in golf carts at all hours, doing maintenance, providing security, etc., who could speak up as needed. As with all the rules, consistent enforcement is the key.

9. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Nov 25 2013, 05:15 PM) [snapback]35350[/snapback]

I've seen at least one rule that does allow the use of the extendable leashes, but restricts extending them more than the 5 or 6 feet stated for all leashes. Sure its tougher to enforce that, but in at least some parks, there are various staff members out and about in golf carts at all hours, doing maintenance, providing security, etc., who could speak up as needed. As with all the rules, consistent enforcement is the key.

A park that controlled probably needs to have it's name changed from Paradise State Park to Paradise State Prison. I really don't need the commandant and their henchmen measuring the length of my dog's leash. Might work for some, but over the top for me.

10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Nov 25 2013, 09:18 PM) [snapback]35351[/snapback]

A park that controlled probably needs to have it's name changed from Paradise State Park to Paradise State Prison. I really don't need the commandant and their henchmen measuring the length of my dog's leash. Might work for some, but over the top for me.

Well, if you don't want the rules enforced, then all I can say is watch where you step...

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I don't really care if the leash is at 5 ft or 15 ft when the dog poops. What I do care about is the owner walking over and picking it up regardless of how far away it is deposited.

12. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

I have had no problems with the RV Parks that say that they accept pets. We always provide our own bags and clean up after our large dog. I do believe that most parks should ASK if you have pets and specifically explain the pet rules when you check in. If you don't like them, go to another park.
    I have had a few problems with other pet owners AND non pet owners when it comes to respecting our parking site, or respecting our space, when we are walking our dog. We have a Great Pyrenees, which is a great big white teddy bear but they are also bred to guard their flock. I appreciate that some of you with your cute little dogs want to have our dogs "meet", but PLEASE don't attempt it without asking first. DON"T assume that my dog wants to meet your dog.
    If your little dog acts aggressive(in my dog's opinion...your opinion does not count) she may react to protect herself or my wife and me. It may be because she felt threatened by your dog or because my dog just may be having a bad day. 99.9% of the time, my dog is the friendliest creature you will ever meet, but DON"T assume that a dog that weighs over 100 pounds is ALWAYS willing to be approached by strangers or their pets.
    The situation may just be that I have her out to do her business, and we are planning to travel soon. We do not need the interruption of this activity and sometimes it can be difficult to get her focused again.
    Please do not take this as personal criticism of all dogs. We love dogs and have always had and traveled with our pets. We are just asking for a little common sense to be used and to request that strangers first ask before they approach our dog. I don't appreciate having my arm jerked off and you may not appreciate having your dog injured. We always show the same respect to other people's animals. :)

SGSanctuary likes this.
  13. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

We don't have any pets. They doesn't fit into our full-time RVing lifestyle. It works for some but not for us.

Although I'm a cat person over a dog person, I don't hate dogs. I just don't want to hear your dog barking. I understand one or two barks if someone walks up to your RV and knocks on the door, but not a non-stop barking for 5 minutes or more.

Last winter had a neighbor I didn't even know they had a dog until two days after they were there. His name was Baron. Of the 4 months they stayed I never heard Baron bark once. They would leave for the day, sometimes leave a window open on the RV. There is a side walk between their site and ours. Lots of people walking by. Baron never would bark. I told the owners I was impressed with Baron not barking. Was told a dog can be trained. I wish more people would train their dogs.

I'm amazed on how many people take their dog out to poo and "forget" the bag to pick up the poo. I have seen little containers on the leash that bags can go into. Not hat tough.

14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I think people that participate on all the camping forums have a basic understanding on what the expectations are when it comes to pets and camping.

Now if we can only get the message to the one's that don't participate.

Mike

15. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I had a problem this week with a man that whipped his car into our driveway and let his two dogs out to run. He blocked the drive, didn't put leashes on the dogs and didn't clean up after them. I went out to where he was and he got angry when I told him that what he was doing was not acceptable. It's bad enough when we have RV'ers here that have that attitude but when someone traveling through thinks it is perfectly acceptable to let the dogs out anywhere they see a big open lawn.

16. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Nov 30 2013, 11:54 AM) [snapback]35371[/snapback]

I had a problem this week with a man that whipped his car into our driveway and let his two dogs out to run. He blocked the drive, didn't put leashes on the dogs and didn't clean up after them. I went out to where he was and he got angry when I told him that what he was doing was not acceptable. It's bad enough when we have RV'ers here that have that attitude but when someone traveling through thinks it is perfectly acceptable to let the dogs out anywhere they see a big open lawn.

People are nervy. When I lived in the mountains of Colorado I lived a 1/2 mile back in and came home from town one time and some people had parked in my road for a picnic. I had a neighbor that lived on the main road and some folks had set up a tent and made cam,p in his front yard. Never ever underestimate the stupidity and nerve of some folks.

amejame likes this.
  17. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Dec 1 2013, 10:48 AM) [snapback]35372[/snapback]

People are nervy. When I lived in the mountains of Colorado I lived a 1/2 mile back in and came home from town one time and some people had parked in my road for a picnic. I had a neighbor that lived on the main road and some folks had set up a tent and made cam,p in his front yard. Never ever underestimate the stupidity and nerve of some folks.

In regard to "people are nervy" I once stopped someone walking through my back yard, and was told he was "hunting". I lived in a neighborhood where we all had 5-acre lots, kids, animals etc. He was from the "big city" and to him our subdivision looked like the wilderness. Perhaps he had a camper parked on one of the neighbors lots.

As for pets in RV parks, the only thing that bothers me is excessive barking. I don't have dogs, and only get upset when neighbors make no attempt to control continuous barking.
    I was in an RV park one time where most of the sites were taken by people who each had several dogs. It was very quiet. As it turned out they were professional dog trainers on their way to some sort of competition. I complimented the leader on how quiet and well behaved the dogs were. She said most dogs can be taught not to be noisy, but many people are too lazy to take the time to work with them.

18. Smiles5254

Smiles5254
    Expand Collapse

ok we are a pet owner and what we wish the parks and private campgrounds would enforce is the leash rule!!!!! We have a 14 year old doxin and very well behaved and walks well on leash, bothers no one except when an unleashed dog comes running up to him he is very ugly!!!!!! He gets very aggressive and then everyone looks at us like we have a bad animal and he is good and if people would learn to abide by the rules it would be more comfortable!!!! Why do people overlook this rule! The rule is for the safety of everyone and every animal!!!! Thanks for letting me vent! :)

amejame and Brenda Hickernell like this.
  19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We own a 6.5 lb Chihuahua and she is a loveable and friendly little thing but doesn't take very well to other dogs, especially large breeds. What irks me at times is we will be out walking her on a leash and someone with a "Rottweiler" will come along and we end up picking our dog up because the owners of the Rottsy tell us all he/she wants to do is "play". Well, a 95 lb rottsy isn't exactly the kind of playmate we want "playing" with our little mutt. And when we tell them that our dog is afraid of theirs, etc. sometimes they get indignant and walk on like we were "snobs" or something to that degree. Why can't folks understand that if their behemoth grabbed our mutt to "play" with it, there could be some hurting going on. Some folks just don't get it I guess but I do understand what Tara Jean is saying here about having their dogs on a leash when out walking around a park or campgound.................

Regards to all, Bankshot

amejame and Brenda Hickernell like this.
  20. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Some people just don't care, some just need to be educated. More often than not, the risk goes significantly down when campgrounds ENFORCE their pet rules/policies.

Now I'm venting! :D

Mike