Temporary Internet Access In Usa

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pianotuna, Feb 2, 2010.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I had great hopes of "making this work", but here is the reply I got to an email inquiry. I guess Canadians are "out of luck" with this company.

"Dear Don,

Thank you for your interest in GroupAccess Mobile Broadband. We currently offer a 5GB plan for $49.95 a month, and any data over that amount is charged at $0.20/MB. There is no contract, and no activation or cancellation fees.

Currently our billing system currently only accepts addresses in the United States so we would need a credit card with a United States billing address to sign you up for the service. The monthly service charge is automatically debited every 30 days from your account.

If you are interested in signing up, please call 1-800-471-4389.

Thanks for contacting GroupAccess Mobile Broadband,

R.C., GroupAccess Support
    support@groupaccess.com"

2. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

wow, $50 a month is kind of expensive, espectially for being limited to 5GB a month! Glad I'm not tech savvy enough to need internet access where I go! As long as I have a hotspot nearby, I'm good! lol

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi grim509,

It is actually cheaper than the "majors" such as Verizon and Sprint (I do not know AT&T prices)

QUOTE(grim509 @ Feb 3 2010, 09:48 AM) [snapback]20850[/snapback]

wow, $50 a month is kind of expensive, espectially for being limited to 5GB a month! Glad I'm not tech savvy enough to need internet access where I go! As long as I have a hotspot nearby, I'm good! lol

4. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Feb 3 2010, 12:02 PM) [snapback]20855[/snapback]

Hi grim509,

It is actually cheaper than the "majors" such as Verizon and Sprint (I do not know AT&T prices)

Based on reading many of your (very informative) posts, I suspect my answer may not help you all that much. However, I've found that wifi is an excellent choice for me. I don't go to any offroad or out of the way places, however, and always make sure ahead of time thast where ever I stop for over a day has wifi available.

5. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Before I went with one of the bargain services, I would check their coverage maps very carefully. Most of them do not have service except in major cities. We us Verizon and the coverage so far has been excellent.

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Kirk,

These folks piggyback on Verizon.

The Virgin prepaid piggybacks on Sprint.

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

Verizon has had the 5 gigs per month a long time now. You can track your use on line and each 30 days it is reset to zero. Our MI-Fi card works very well everyplace we go.

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

Yes they have, but not until very recently has it been available "month to month". It has been available with a 2 year contract. That was a deal breaker for most Canadians and perhaps for non full-timers, too.

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 15 2010, 05:43 PM) [snapback]22123[/snapback]

Don,

Verizon has had the 5 gigs per month a long time now. You can track your use on line and each 30 days it is reset to zero. Our MI-Fi card works very well everyplace we go.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

The prepaid would work ONLY if you didn't try to watch a show. Right now, I watch "24" on my air card and one hour uses up 300-400 mg.

Not to mention, those short "YOU TUBE" things that people send me in email use up lots of MG's, too! I guess I'll have to tell people to QUIT SENDING ME YOU TUBE STUFF!

JJ

11. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ May 16 2010, 04:10 PM) [snapback]22138[/snapback]

The prepaid would work ONLY if you didn't try to watch a show. Right now, I watch "24" on my air card and one hour uses up 300-400 mg.

Not to mention, those short "YOU TUBE" things that people send me in email use up lots of MG's, too! I guess I'll have to tell people to QUIT SENDING ME YOU TUBE STUFF!
    JJ

Good luck. A lot of the time I am in outlying areas and the wifi is slow so I ask people to not sent any files over 300kb. That is mostly text files. They ignore the request. I use an offline reader Thuderbird from Mozzilla and I can limit the size of file it down loads to 300kb. The reader does leave the option of downloading the rest of the file if I want.