Traveling With Dogs

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Sasmall, Mar 19, 2006.

1. OKrver

OKrver
    Expand Collapse

We have 4 dogs, and been all over the Western US, with no problems. The last trip to Colorado all the campgrounds had A 2 dog limit. So we checked a lttle more, and found a great camp, and all they wanted was a leash. I would say u can always find a place for dogs.

2. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Hope it all works out Crittercove. We also liked the RV idea so could take our pets and they were older when we started (2003) so unsure but they have been swell. Guy next to us this summer in Myrtle Beach had very energetic, beautiful Shepherd "big" puppy. She was friendly, would playfully lunge but a handful and we love shepherds. He said he was training her so needed to work with her daily, his wife was beside herself that he insisted on bringing dog. Sometimes a man and his dog :rolleyes: well, his wife and kids and him too (were he to admit it) would have had more freedom and less stress minus the pooch in this particular situation. It's definitely more responsibility.

I felt sorry for her with one baby in arms and another toddler and this guy wrestling with dog when she probably would have preferred time spent with family :) Guess just because we love dogs you can't say all situations are thought-through. We spent many years and dollars on house/pet sitter and they loved her so you have to do what you have to do :)

jmo

3. Crittercove

Crittercove
    Expand Collapse

I am very pleased to announce the camping trip with the four pooches went well. I was, frankly, a nervous wreck. I could just picture driving up to the gate and all four barking at the park ranger and him telling us to turn around and go home, but as luck would have it, no one was at the gate, so we were able to drive straight to our camper (which my husband had gone the day before with my dad and set up). The dogs did great. :)

The only real problem we had was one dog refused to potty in a strange place and we spent a good deal of our trip walking her. We were gone 48 hours and she would't pee until the 24th hour and then wouldn't go again until we got home. Bless her heart. Hopefully after we've done this a few more times, she will realize it's okay and will go when she needs to. But other than that, they did great. Shew! The only time they barked was when really large, loud trucks/campers went past and that was only a couple times and they settled right back down.

We did several things to put their good behavior in our favor. We parked near the entrance vs. near the lake thinking most people would want to be near the water. We also put up a fence around the camper and we only took them out one or two at a time. One of the two days it poured down rain so they were bored, but even with that, they were good. I was very proud of them...and relieved.

Two of our dogs get carsick...one vomited 5 minutes before we got to the campground and 5 minutes before we got home. So if our trip had been 5 minutes shorter, we wouldn't have had that mess! :ph34r: But our other dog vomits from the minute we leave the house until we arrive. We have tried benadryl, dramamine, spearmint, and prescription phenergan and often a combination of several and nothing keeps her from throwing up. Does anyone else have a problem with carsick dogs and, if so, what do you use? We put her in a carrier and cover it so she has no visual reference to the movement, but of course, she can feel the swaying of the car. We keep the car cool (even if we freeze) since I know medically you are less likely to throw up if you're cool than if you're warm. Nothing seems to help her and I just feel so sorry for her. She is fine once we arrive at our destination...has no lingering side effects, but she's one sick pup the entire drive.

We hope to go back to the campground in a few weeks and do this again. We found a wonderful state park about 40 minutes from our house. We will only go during the off season because, in spite of the dogs' good behavior, they are still skittish and afraid of people so we aren't going to push it for their sake and for other campers' sake.

Just thought you might want to know how the trip went. While some of our dogs have been camping with us before (when we had a pop up), a couple of the dogs are new to our family and hadn't been, plus anyone with dogs knows the dynamics change any time the family unit changes. One dog may behave a certain way, but with another dog in the mix, may behave differently. So we didn't know how the two that had been before would behave with the two that hadn't. We knew at home they seem to feed off of each other...if one barks, they all bark.

Gotta go for now but will check back soon with more camping questions. I will say that a travel trailer is MUCH different than a tent or pop up camper, so I have much still to learn.

4. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

Crittercove,

I found a couple website that may be useful to you regarding your dog's carsickness.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1422
    http://www.lucythewonderdog.com/carsick.htm

One important thing to realize is that the carsickness may not be related to the motion but instead related to stress. If it is stress related I do not think that the medication would help. Both of these sites give steps for training a dog not to be stressed during a car ride. From what you described it sounds like it is more of a stress related issue with your one dog. Another thing to consider is that if the carsickness is motion related it would be better to have the dog situated so it could see out the front window of the car instead of being able to see out of one of the other windows or not being able to see out at all.

As for the potty issue, one of our dogs is the same way. We are still working on her with this issue but it is getting better every time.

Glad you trip went so well. Hopefully with a little training you can enjoy more camping trips without having to worry about cleaning up the mess.

Good Luck. :D

5. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

Glad your test run with your dogs was good. We've traveled with our dog for several years, and sometimes add our daughter's when we're "babysitting". Our Aussie is a little yappy, so we're always carefulw where we park and when and where we walk her. We wouldn't think of leaving her behind and she sometimes goes and stands at the camper door when I'm working in the yard. She's always ready for a journey.

6. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Great Crittercove B) so glad it went well.

You all sound very kind and special. Those pups very lucky to have you!

jmo
    Raleigh NC

7. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Crittercove

Glad your trip went well just had to share this about our dog.....She is a 6 year old Schnauzer/Shepard mix.... Sounds weird but she's cute and very spoiled...LOL anytime I get close to the Travel trailer and sometimes if she thinks we are going camping she gets excited and If she is out and the truck door is over she thinks she's going too.:) If you think it hard to tell a child they can't go the candy store.....you should see the look I get when I tell "ruby" we're not going camping. Our first trip was stressful for us as she was 4 years old and didn't know what to expect but after coming home she figures anytime I get in the truck that means were going camping.... :D Problem is I drive the truck daily.....lol So it's hard to get her to understand when we're not going. Even had a hard time convincing her when I took it to storage for the winter She just knew we were going...LOL..Have fun camping...Happy Trails

8. Crittercove

Crittercove
    Expand Collapse

LOL - yes, there's been a few times we had to drive one of our dogs around the block because she sat by the car and refused to move!

Thank you for the information on carsickness. We actually did let her see out the front window only on the ride home...not on purpose. We forgot to cover up the front of the carrier and couldn't stop. It didn't make any difference with the vomiting, though.

My poor super-puker vomits within a minute of leaving home. I didn't think about it being stress because she never vomits at home, even when she's upset or nervous (for example, if it's thundering). However, it is very possible it is a combination of the movement and stress. I never considered that.

She has thrown up from the very first day I brought her home from the pound as a tiny puppy and it hasn't changed. She hasn't outgrown it.

We have 7 dogs altogether, but three are outdoor dogs and did not go camping with us. We never thought we would have outdoor dogs, but several of our rescues were old hunting dogs that had been dumped out and they were miserable indoors. So my husband built an outdoor mansion for them...very large fenced area, sleeping quarters complete with heat in the winter, shade porches. It's very nice.

Thank you, jmo. We adopt special needs dogs, whether they are elderly, sick, have medical issues, were abused...whatever. I only wish we could do more. 5000 cats & dogs are euthanized in our county every year. It's horrific.

In addition to adopting a few dogs, we run a full-time wildlife hospital, caring for sick, injuried, and orphaned wildlife. So we are definitely animal people.

Jmo, we are in Alamance County so we are not far from you. Have you camped at Jordan Lake? That is where we went and it was lovely.

I am so glad there are lots of dog lovers on this site.

9. dmsscs

dmsscs
    Expand Collapse

We just returned from a three day weekend with our pit bull/bull dog mix. She had a great time, loves to travel on the dash board so she can watch everything go by. I haven't had anyone charge for a pet, yet. We traveled with friends that have two large dogs and a small one, they travel well, i think they actually look forward to it. Most parks have rules pertaining to dogs, like pick up after them, keep them on a leash, don't allow them to become an annoyance to your fellow campers, and fill in any holes they might dig on the site were a few I recall reading. I suggest always carrying their records of shots. Some towns have rules about that, a friend had to pay a $200. fine for not having proof with them when their dog was involved in a dog fight. The tag on the collar is not enough. A few parks do not allow dogs to be left unattended, we saw why in one park where the people left the dog tied to the picnic table, left for the day, the dog got tangled, the lead was too short for the dog to get out of the sun and had spilled his water. Beside the annoyance of its continuous barking, his health was in danger. The staff unhooked the dog and put it in a pen behnd the store until the owners returned. The owners of the dog had the nerve to get angry at them for taking the dog.
    Have fun with your dogs! Be sure to get the rules in advance and be prepared to follow them!

10. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

dmsscs, we have 2 maltese dogs that travel with us. Bucky, the oldest, who is 1, loves to ride up on the dash and watch everything. Sadie is 7 months old, and her favorite spot is under my chair. She doesn't much care where we are going, as long as she gets to go along!!! We do take an exercise pen with us and when we are sitting outside, they are put in their pen. It always irritates me to come outside or return back to the motorhome and find "gifts" left by other people's dogs. I can't even imagine letting one of mine on someone else's site, let alone leave their poop for other's to pick up.

Bucky
    [​IMG]

Sadie
    [​IMG]

11. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

:) Sadie and Bucky are darling!

Jmo, we are in Alamance County so we are not far from you. Have you camped at Jordan Lake? That is where we went and it was lovely

No, we have never stayed at Jordan Lake but know of it. We still have a teen at home and all the boys have always enjoyed the coast. We are up not far from Falls Lake. We will be "free" one day to take our pets and go wherever and whenever :)

A few parks do not allow dogs to be left unattended, we saw why in one park where the people left the dog tied to the picnic table, left for the day, the dog got tangled, the lead was too short for the dog to get out of the sun and had spilled his water. Beside the annoyance of its continuous barking, his health was in danger. The staff unhooked the dog and put it in a pen behnd the store until the owners returned. The owners of the dog had the nerve to get angry at them for taking the dog.

My husband just said "if we could only do that to THEM" :angry:

jmo

12. Leezerman

Leezerman
    Expand Collapse

:) My wife and I have always travelled with our dogs and we have 3 now (mini schnauzers) that are part of our family. We always pickup after them, and keep them as quiet as possible. I just had a run in with a fellow camper that let his dog roam because his dog is a good dog and would not hurt a flea however when I threatened to have his "good dog" hauled off because it was pooping all over others camp sites and driving our dogs and others crazy. He finally got the hint and leashed him up. Moral of the story Be respectful of fellow campers in all that you do and please pay attention to what is going on around you...Have a great day :D
    P.S. I dont mind paying a dollar a day per dog because not everyone does pickup after them and someone has to.

13. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

But why o'why should any dog owner have to pay a fee for those who choose not to clean up after their dogs. Personally we will not stay at any campground that does charge the per day dog fee. We clean up after our dog, and again feel that it is not our monetary duty to pay for the clean up of the mess of others. Campground owners, managers, or whoever, should put the blame squarely where it belongs. Years ago we camped at a cg that did not allow dogs, the cg was quiet, and of course clean of any do-do. At this time, years ago, we boarded our four legged "kid". I have to believe that it's just another fee to enrich the pockets for the campground. Sorry, but this is how we feel on the subject.

14. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Oct 30 2006, 09:45 PM) [snapback]5385[/snapback]

dmsscs, we have 2 maltese dogs that travel with us. Bucky, the oldest, who is 1, loves to ride up on the dash and watch everything. Sadie is 7 months old, and her favorite spot is under my chair. She doesn't much care where we are going, as long as she gets to go along!!! We do take an exercise pen with us and when we are sitting outside, they are put in their pen. It always irritates me to come outside or return back to the motorhome and find "gifts" left by other people's dogs. I can't even imagine letting one of mine on someone else's site, let alone leave their poop for other's to pick up.

Bucky
    [​IMG]

Sadie
    [​IMG]

They are soooo Cute! We have two maltese also. Mandy is almost 2 and Maggie is 4 mos. They both love to go in the RV. We keep them on a leash and always, always pick up after them. My husband has a 'thing' :angry: for dogs, cats that are not under the owners control at all times. It is not fair to the animal. When we traveled to Alaska (over 9000 miles) we were amazed how many people allowed their animals to roam free--one camper had 7 large dogs and all were running free!!! I also have a problem with people coming up and petting 'our girls' without asking! I know they are cute and very friendly--but stangers don't! :rolleyes:

15. ne-ormond

ne-ormond
    Expand Collapse

:( I like dogs and do not own any now. Since I started traveling and staying at campgrounds almost a weekend or more a month for the past three years I am getting more and more of not liking them. If you people want to take your pets (mostly referring to dogs) to campgrounds it is true you can do what you want in your rig. However, once they step outside I recommend you follow the rules and myself and others should report violations. Biggest violation is letting them off leash. One campground in Vicksburg, MS, I didn't notice the neighbor had their approx. 20 lb. dog off leash. As I drove off on my motorcycle at the 10 mph speed limit the dog charged my bike. I was ready to run it flat over or kick it in the head but it backed off. I have had people walking their dogs and let them urinate on my site at many campgrounds. Let them urinate on your campsite or take them to the dog walk areas to do it. One campground a camper in a huge coach had two great danes they could barely control while walking and urinating on other campers sites. I think campgrounds should crack down and give people one warning for dogs off leash and then you are out of there! I almost forgot to mention habitual barkers where people leave their RV and go out all day and their dog barks constantly. This is another item that if you want to have your dog bark all day and you don't have to listen to it while you are out and about, find a campground with people who like the "music". In one campground, a dog was loose and a woman almost yelled at me saying nastily, "is that YOUR dog". I said no, but I sure would like to take it for a ride somewhere....

Attached Files:

16. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

:( have to agree with your decision not to get a dog. Urinating on campsite...you mean that grass that runs along roadway :unsure:

I could understand if they urinated on your bike :angry:

jmo