Update Name?

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by fulltimer121, Aug 27, 2014.

1. fulltimer121

fulltimer121
    Expand Collapse

I recently received this email.

We are nearing the release of our newly updated website. In order to protect your privacy, please update your Display Name at the link below to ensure personally identifiable information will not displayed.

Since it wants me to click a link I'd like to verify its legitimate

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

It is legit. You can read about the issue in this forum topic: I Got A New Name......, The site changes.....

3. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Where is the link?

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This is legitimate, and I knew that it was going to happen; however, I did not know an exact date, and I did not realize that the emails would go out without some kind of a post on the forums. This is being handled by the higher level administrators, so I do not feel comfortable answering questions at this time as I might give out misinformation. I will ask that all of this be clarified asap.

5. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

I received notification of a need to update my screen name; but the Link provided did not activate from my e-mail account.

6. technomadic

technomadic
    Expand Collapse

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I just got mine and updated it, but wondered if it applied to previous reviews. Does it? I have been Lindsay Richards on the forum for many years. I have done several bad reviews which I thought were justified, but do not want my name associated with them. So please make this clear if it starts on new reviews or with all existing reviews.

8. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Florida Native @ Aug 27 2014, 02:04 PM) [snapback]37967[/snapback]

I just got mine and updated it, but wondered if it applied to previous reviews. Does it? I have been Lindsay Richards on the forum for many years. I have done several bad reviews which I thought were justified, but do not want my name associated with them. So please make this clear if it starts on new reviews or with all existing reviews.

Reviews under the current system will continue as usual (names don't display), but once switched to the new system all reviews (including old ones) will display "Florida Native". Your concerns are the very reason we've sent out the notification about change as we believe that you should have some choice in the matter. :)

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(Janet H @ Aug 27 2014, 06:06 PM) [snapback]37969[/snapback]

Reviews under the current system will continue as usual (names don't display), but once switched to the new system all reviews (including old ones) will display "Florida Native". Your concerns are the very reason we've sent out the notification about change as we believe that you should have some choice in the matter. :)

doci also mentioned about this site having a pop-up/link where you can also change or edit your forum info. I am hoping that this is still going to happen... just in case I or anyone else doesn't get the E-mail notification.

Mike

10. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Aug 27 2014, 07:52 PM) [snapback]37974[/snapback]

Mike, it's listed above in the Park Discussions link and also technomadic posted it. I'll post it again here also. https://www.campgroundreviews.com/update_name.php

opps, my mistake :)

Mike

12. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

updated to same. nedmtnman

13. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I'm totally confused. As requested, I changed my username via the email link to Luvtheroad. Does that mean that not only will my posts be tagged Luvtheroad, but all my reviews (even the ones I've done in the last four years) will be tagged Luvtheroad also? I don't think I care for that at all.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Luvtheroad @ Aug 31 2014, 01:09 AM) [snapback]38031[/snapback]

I'm totally confused. As requested, I changed my username via the email link to Luvtheroad. Does that mean that not only will my posts be tagged Luvtheroad, but all my reviews (even the ones I've done in the last four years) will be tagged Luvtheroad also? I don't think I care for that at all.

The email you received never required you to change your username; it simply asked that you review the name that our new system will display with your posts and to change it if you wish. You didn't have to change anything.

I'm not sure why tagging your old reviews with your new display name would be a problem. In neither case is your real name used. On the current system reviews don't have a name posted with them but people can easily look up a particular person's other reviews. With the new system in your case people will be able to see that all your reviews were submitted by someone with the user name Luvtheroad but they won't have any idea who that is.

15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I see a potential issue with using the same display name on reviews that is used here in the forum. The idea behind the current email campaign is to give us the opportunity to remove personally identifiable names, etc., from the name that will be displayed with our reviews in the new site format. That's a good thing, but then we have the same display name here on the forum where we often post more identifiable information, or have it in our signatures or profiles. A review posted by "docj" for instance, would give away nothing to most readers, but a perusal or search of the forum would quickly find that "docj" is really "Joel Weiss", complete with a link to his website where even more personal information is available. Does anyone else see the potential problem with that?

16. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NYDutch @ Aug 31 2014, 07:03 AM) [snapback]38035[/snapback]

I see a potential issue with using the same display name on reviews that is used here in the forum. The idea behind the current email campaign is to give us the opportunity to remove personally identifiable names, etc., from the name that will be displayed with our reviews in the new site format. That's a good thing, but then we have the same display name here on the forum where we often post more identifiable information, or have it in our signatures or profiles. A review posted by "docj" for instance, would give away nothing to most readers, but a perusal or search of the forum would quickly find that "docj" is really "Joel Weiss", complete with a link to his website where even more personal information is available. Does anyone else see the potential problem with that?

At first, I didn't see any problem with using the same name in both places, but this note from Dutch does change my opinion.

Also, what about campground managers/hosts/owners sending personal messages back to reviewers who have posted less than glowing reviews of their parks? There used to be a complete anonymity on the site, and separation between the review world and the forum world, but not any more.

17. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Yes ..I agree that the anonymity will be gone....and I don't see that as a good thing.

In all fairness maybe we can ask this forum host/admin to explain why this change ....and how it's a better improvement ?

18. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tiffinman @ Aug 31 2014, 11:52 AM) [snapback]38041[/snapback]

Yes ..I agree that the anonymity will be gone....and I don't see that as a good thing.

In all fairness maybe we can ask this forum host/admin to explain why this change ....and how it's a better improvement ?

That's the point I was trying to make, unsuccessfully. Whether the reviews and posts are both tagged with my "old" name or my "new" name, it still links my reviews to my posts. That's what I don't care for. I don't think you're going to find very many of the regular posters who will be happy about it, either.

19. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

ANOTHER concern is .....will they have access to our e-mail address ?? Will we get threatened / harassed or even black balled from campgrounds that we review as unfavorable or maybe flooded with e-mail advertisements ??? If that's the case....I'll be done submitting reviews.

20. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I changed my name from Lindsay Richards to Florida Native and then realized if somebody really wanted to find out about me, they could easily just look me up on the forum and I have my wed address in my signature. The only way I could see this being a problem is if we gave a bad review, a campground owner could "track us down". I don't think this would be a major problem though. I think most check in sheets have name and address anyway.