Water Purity

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by boater, Dec 4, 2006.

1. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

We are searching for what is best method of purifing our drinking water. Up until now we have always used bottled water for drinking, coffee, etc.(30 years of boating and camping). Now we are on the road for a longer time it is getting to be a small problem to keep enough water to drink. What do other people do about this problem? I have seen reference to filters in some of the other discussions. Looking for what others have found to work.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We use a filter like ones you see at Home Depot inline with city water hose to trap out trash, large rocks, and other stuff you may see in some water systems. We have a "Everpure filter system" under sink in kitchen with a small tap off to side (filtered water). Water from cold side goes into this filter and out to small water tap. The filter has small amount of silver inside to kill a lot of bad stuff. You replace the filter each year or two for around $35. This item is on line as a kit from Everpure or Camping World.

3. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

4. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the answers. We are going to look at all of the options. before we have never used local water, but its time. Thanks again
    boater

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Although we have been RVing for several years we have not paid close enough attention to our water filtration so we were very interested in John Blue’s response, and the web site from Browzin was very helpful. We have already purchased a filter to go on the fresh water hose outside, and we are still thinking about one for the kitchen sink.

This leads me to some other questions. How long will water stay good in the fresh water holding tank? We have read all about how to drain and sanitize the tank, but we are not sure if this needs to be done every time we head out. Typically the RV sits for 3-4 months between trips. During this time is it better to leave water in the holding tank or should we drain it? (We usually keep it about 1/3 full.) If we don’t drain it will this water still be good for our next trip? Can we just change the water and not sanitize the tank because that is such a time consuming process. However, we do want to be safe! So what is your advice?

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Tex,

Water in the ground will be good fifty to one hundred years. In a RV tank no. We keep a small amount of water in tank to keep valves in pump wet. At start of a new trip if we have not changed water in past 30 days, I wash out White hose, then add 10 to 15 gals of water to tank, heater, and lines. They we drain all water out. Water the lawn.

Then load up out 110 gal tank with 35 to 55 gals of clean water. Everpure has a small bottle of silver you can add to tank but I have never used it. We have never had a problem anyplace we have been to date. I do check this site and see parks that water is not good every place, in the wild west you will find bad water. If I see any notes about bad water we load tank full at old site before we travel into "bad water site" and run on our tank. I also check water at new site by runnng small amount in a cup and looking at it. Check color, trash, odors, rust, and etc.

We are in Maui now and in couple days will be in Death Valley to tour a little. If you need more information post it and I will see it.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks John. If I understood you correctly it sounds like we should drain and refill the fresh water tank before each trip, but it is not necessary to go through the long sanitizing process every time.

Maui, huh. I'm so sorry you have to spend your pre-holiday time in such a terrible place. :lol: I also saw where you just got back from a cruise to Greece. Death Valley will be quite a contrast. But it is interesting in its own right. Be sure to walk out to the lowest spot below sea level. Maybe it won't be too hot this time of year. Look for the sign on the cliff that marks sea level.

Thanks again.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Tex,

The water information is correct. If we sit a long time say six months then do more cleaning. We have never had that problem. We like to keep the wagon rolling.

We have been out of range (no services) over the past couple days in the deserts. Now in Ridgecrest, CA for the night. Yes, the sea level marker on side of hill was a bit odd. Place looked like a flat salt mine. Not a lot of RV or other people in park but weather was nice at 55 and light snow on top of hills. We would never tour this place in summer months. Deserts we went in runs from south of Indio to Death Valley. Not a lot of people live in the deserts. Lots to see in the USA.