Winter Camping New England

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Danny B, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Danny B

Danny B
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this site (and RVing) and had a few questions. I was wondering if anyone knows of any winter overnight camping in New England? I would like to do some skiing and touring in Vermont , New Hampshire, or Maine. What sorts of things should I be aware of with winter camping also? We travel in a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer 34' w/slide. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

First of all is your rig winter capable. Then you have to find a open campground and that may be a problem up north as many seem to close for the winter but I am sure a few will be open but they may not have the water running.

If you are camping in the winter you have to fill your tanks with fuel and water and propane. You may be there a while. The campground that my be opne may only have one water faucet open so that eliminates the neeed to electric tape the water hose because if you do not and leave it out it will freeze. Also if you are using propane you might want to crack a window a bit since it releases moisture and it will cause the RV to sweat or the front windshield to get a coat of ice on the inside. Make sure you have a hair dryer so you can unfreeze the windows if you do n ot have double pained side windows too.

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Danny B,

Welcome to the forum, and Rving. The largest percentage of New England Cgs are closed for the winter season, and do so after Columbus weekend. Almost all are not setup for winter operation. Some ski areas do allow Rvs within their parking areas, but do not know if allowed overnight. As your location is not known, let me say that the areas of concern are very cold from January through February ranging in the possibility of an overnight temperature in the minus -20/30+ degrees. That's below 0 F. Most rvs would have a real problem trying to maintain a temperature that is comfortable at 20/30 below 0. Then you have the wind and snow to contend with the Rv. I would rather be in a nice warm building, but that's me.

4. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Danny: I am a skier who lives in Maine and who spends the winter at Sugarloaf (one of Maine's two best ski areas). But I do NOT stay in my RV! If you do visit VT, NH, or ME for winter skiing, be prepared for very cold conditions, as Butch has said. Sugarloaf has in past years allowed overnight parking for RVs, with (I believe) electricity. Both Sugarloaf and Sunday River are under new ownership (this is good), so I don't know whether they will continue the past RV policy or not. Both resorts have web pages with CONTACT US options, so you might check to see what the policy is for this year.

5. Danny B

Danny B
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for responding to my question. We are from Connecticut so we are familiar with the weather in New England and we would probably do weekends at the most (2-3 days, no extended stays). I do not believe there is a winter package on our Motorhome. However, couldn't we winterize the plumbing system and use electrical to run the lights, appliances, furnace fan, etc. I am not sure if this is able to be done or not. I am not sure how we would use the toilet, but couldn't antifreeze help? I have read that there are sometimes issues with the valves freezing. Is this a major issue? Am I overly ambitious?

Danny B

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Dan,

If you are going sub zero rv'ing I'd suggest adding ordinary windshield washer anti freeze to your waste tanks. I routinely use my class C RV at -17 F, and have used it at -35F. I do use my water system. My RV is Canadian built so I do have a "heated" basement, and double windows. I do not attempt to use my hot water heater.

Here is how I prepare.

- electric car warmer in the valves compartment (some light bulbs in series would work too)
    - anti freeze in waste tanks (windshield washer type is fine--and cheaper than rv plumbing type)
    - blanket curtain to separate the cab from the living quarters to reduce heated area
    - 12 volt electric blanket
    - 2 1500 watt electric heaters
    - 2800 watt generator so I can run one 1500 watt heater and the block heater on the engine

After the trip I re winterize in the usual fashion.

I'd really love to add a catalytic heater to what I have equipment wise.

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Please note that some windshield washer fluids have different protection against freezing. Some are only good to 0 degrees F. and others are good to -20 degrees F. Most here in NY are -20. Watch the inexpensive fluid as it maybe only rated at 0. This info is marked on the product label.

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Butch,

Where I live the windshield washer fluids are good to -40. Thanks for the additional bit of information--it is not something I would have checked!

QUOTE(Butch @ Nov 14 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]9133[/snapback]

Please note that some windshield washer fluids have different protection against freezing. Some are only good to 0 degrees F. and others are good to -20 degrees F. Most here in NY are -20. Watch the inexpensive fluid as it maybe only rated at 0. This info is marked on the product label.

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Piano> The lowest temp that I’ve – involuntarily - had the RV in is 18 degrees. It was called “survival mode” even tho I have heated compartments on my rig. I even bought some attic insulation material and put it in the windows. Still COLD! I can’t imagine trying it in near zero temps. I'd be real concerned about busting something that would cost alot to fix.

You gotta be a nut to want to ski in those conditions anyway. :D

Good luck. If you change your mind, come on down to Texas and we’ll have some BBQ..probably sitting outside in our t-shirts.

10. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I use my RV as a mobile hotel room and restaurant while I service pianos in rural areas. I'll be heading out for a 1400 mile trip next Saturday and will be in the Canadian Rockies. I expect to encounter about 7 F and will be as warm as I want really.

Try wool blankets next time for your windows--attic insulation is *ugly* stuff imho.

QUOTE(RLM @ Nov 17 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]9166[/snapback]

Piano> The lowest temp that I’ve – involuntarily - had the RV in is 18 degrees. It was called “survival mode” even tho I have heated compartments on my rig. I even bought some attic insulation material and put it in the windows. Still COLD! I can’t imagine trying it in near zero temps. I'd be real concerned about busting something that would cost alot to fix.

You gotta be a nut to want to ski in those conditions anyway. :D

Good luck. If you change your mind, come on down to Texas and we’ll have some BBQ..probably sitting outside in our t-shirts.