Cajun Country Lousianna Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jackie & Tony, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

We are wanting to explore the Cajun Country in Louisianna in January and would like to hear from other members which campgrounds are good and which we should avoid. Thanks for your help.

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

John, Butch, Beastdriver and my other friends out there - I know you have a wealth of information to offer this wonderful couple, so please post it. Jackie is a friend of mine and I recommended this site to her, so make me proud!!!!

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Jackie & Tony,

We spent a lot of time in southern LA with the Cajun people. What towns or places do you have in mind?

We have been in New Orleans, Houma, Thibodaux, Baton Rouge, Plaquemine, Donaldsonville, Lafayette, Abbeville, New Iberia, Avery Island, Kaplan, Erath, Crowley, Carencro, Breaux Bridge, Eunice, Kinder, Basile, Jennings, Ville Platte, Lake Charles, and other places that are hard to remember at times. We love the Cajun people, food and music.

We are in Maui, HI for the next three weeks and lot of my information is at home but I can help you. Let me know what you would like to do and the number of days you plan to stay in LA. We spent 28 to 30 days at the time in LA before we move on to TX or some other state. Been worked on LA a long time now.

4. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

John, sounds like you sre very knowledgable about this area. We would like to stay a month and are also fascinated with the cajun people. We have been thinking about Betty's RV Park in Abbeville. Have you ever stayed there? If so, tell us about the area, things to do and the "must go to restaurants", we l-o-v-e cajun food!!! We'd also like to support this area with our tourist $$$ because all they have gone through.

5. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

John, my goodness - you just got back from Greece a couple of weeks ago and now you are in Hawaii? I know you have a cruise coming up too...don't you guys ever stay home???? I told Jackie when she joined that you were a really nice guy and I knew you would have info for her.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Jackie & Tony,

Yes, my good friend Betty would be a great place to start your tour of LA. Check out Betty's RV Park on this board and e-mail Betty, also tell her hello for me. I wrote her his week. Betty will set you up with all the good places to eat around Abbeville. In most cases she will take you along with everyone in park to all the places to see and places to eat. We have been to lake for the day to fish or crab, tour of coast line and great lunch, museum, live Cajun French music in park one night, cooking in park numbers of times, and on and on. The hard part is time to rest also hard to leave Betty's park. You are in her WEB. Around 80% of the people in Abbeville speak French each day.

Layayette and Breaux Bridge have great Cajun places to eat. Eunice on weekend is fun.
    Marc & Ann Savoy in Eunice on Saturday at 9:00 am open up home and people from all over come to play Cajun music. People come from all over the USA and overseas to hear the music. Remember all Cajun people on Friday pm move from home to some RV park for weekend. It can be a hard trick to find a place to park RV on weekends. DI's south of Basie is great on weekend for live Cajun music and great food.

Houma is around 50 miles south of New Orleans on Hwy. 90. People and food are great here. A-Bears on Friday night and Big Al's for sea food. Place is full of Cajun people.

The internet has all the information, look up in Google, tons of sites in Cajun land.

Cheryl,

You are correct. We fly from here in Maui to CA before we return home. We need a week to tour southern CA and then home for Jan. before we start the next round of travel in 2007. Life is fun.

7. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Thanks John, We are really looking forward to meeting Betty and I certainly will tell her Hello for you. We really are looking forward to exploring the area and you have given us such good info!!

8. retired rover

retired rover
    Expand Collapse

Jackie,

New member here. . . we're wanting to take the same trip through Cajun land in February, so please post everything you find in January!!

Thanks,
    retired rover

9. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

John Blue,
    Just wanted to tell you that we are here at Betty's RV Park. We've been here for 2 weeks and will be here until January 18th. Oh my goodness - what a place. Betty has made this park so unique. She is wonderful, every evening we have "happy hour" and everyone, including Betty brings an Hors D'Oeuvre and we sit for an hour or two chatting. We have met the BEST people here. She has taken us 3 times for Crawfish dinners at different local restaurants. Tomorrow is New Year's Eve and she has planned a party and then on New Years' Day we will all have lunch together in the Rec. Room. She'll be making a turkey in the Cajun Microwave! By the way she has closed her patio in - so it's now a closed in "Louisianna Room". This afternoon we are all going to Touchet's - did you go there? I love Cajun music!
    This sure has been a lot of fun!!!

10. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Jackie and Tony,

Bon Jour!

Happy to hear all is well at Betty's place. Yes, Betty is a Cajun card and loves to have a great time under the back porch now closed in. She told me sometime ago that was done. We also have spent lots of time under the back porch with drinks, Cajun food, and some of the best people you will find in LA. Yes, we have been to all the places in your note and more.

Did you try the apple wine yet? The Cajun microwave cooks very well and takes no AC power to run it. We used it on last trip out to cook up lots of meats. The weekend was the 5000 egg cooking downtown with live bands on street and Betty also had a live band under the porch. The hold park was dancing to Cajun music. Need to get out to some of the other towns and look around also.

I wish we could be with you tonight at Betty's. The Cajun food is great, take a look at the scales from time to time. Say hello to Betty for me and we will see her in March.

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!"

Joie De Vivre at Betty's

11. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

Hi John and everyone,
    We're still having a ball here at Betty's. We've travelled around quite a bit, New Iberia, Intracoastal City, Lafayette, Kaplan, St. Martinsville, Breaux Bridge, Crowley and a couple of smaller places. There is so much to do. We have a journal of our trip, if you're interested in some of the details, here it is:

www.mytripjournal.com/AlbasiniRVAdventure

This past Saturday we spent the day at the Cracklin CookOut. It is held the first Saturday of each year. What a blast of Cajun food, Cajun music and dancing. Check out our website for the details.

12. PochePlantation

PochePlantation
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jackie & Tony @ Nov 26 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]5525[/snapback]

We are wanting to explore the Cajun Country in Louisianna in January and would like to hear from other members which campgrounds are good and which we should avoid. Thanks for your help.

Try WWW.PochePlantation.COM

13. PochePlantation

PochePlantation
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jackie & Tony @ Nov 26 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]5525[/snapback]

Marvin Stokes
    Idaho
    Sorry we did not get to say "goodbye" before pulling out. We want to thank you for our best RVing experience ever. Both of us will always have fond memories of spending the month at your plantation, eating in the B&B, making new friends and all the good southern hospitality. You really made us feel at home! We will always keep in touch with your web-site to see all the changes you are making. Would you mind sending us Mrs. Pat's phone number and an address for Slim Jim . Say "hi" to Chad. He's a great kid! Reminds us of our grandson. HAPPY NEW YEAR Marvin & LaRee Stokes