Hidden Charge

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jerry S, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Ran into something new to me at the end of this years' summer travels. Reservations on weekdays after Labor Day are usually not needed up north so I did not bother to call ahead for my planned stop at a Wisconsin KOA. This had been our first (reserved) stop 2 months earlier at the start of our trip. At check-in I noticed that the charge was $2 more than before. I was informed that if we had called the day before and reserved the site it would have been $2 cheaper. I had never encountered this before and contacted KOA who said this was a policy option that each park owner could decide on whether or not to use. When I complained to the owner before we left, her only defense was that hotels do it. I feel that this is either a hidden charge for "drive-in" customers or an uncdisclosed discount for those who make reservations. Either way, I consider it a sleazy business practice even if it is only $2.

I have stayed here numerous times in the past before this owner took over last year. At the very least, I think KOA should notify its' cardholders of this practice and each parks' listing should advise customers of the $2 charge for "drive-in" customers. In season, there may be some logic in knowing how many customers you are going to have, but when the park is only a quarter full afer Labor Day I don't see how is makes a difference. Additionally, this is not a resort or destination park - it is mostly overnighters.

Has anybody else come across this "hidden charge'?

2. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

Most hotels charge more for a "drive in" than for someone having a reservation. Campgrounds (not just KOA's) increasingly are doing the same. Yes, I've seen it but we usually have a reservation so it's not really an issue. For $2, I don't think I'd let it affect my blood pressure. If it's too late - we do the Wal Mart thing.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

See the current thread about asking for a lower rate.

4. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Since most of my camping trips are spontaneous and spare of the moment and usually on week days when it's less crowded, I don't make reservations...what I do though is print out the rates of the campgrounds I have chosen to see have vacancy and take them with me.

I have encountered several private campgrounds trying to charge me more than what their published rates are and more than what they would charge if one had a reservation.

So, I ask if they will charge me the published rate and if they say no, I turn around and leave...I've yet to get to the door of the office to leave before I hear, "Well, wait a minute.." and then I get charged what the published rate was and what a person who had a reservation was charged....no extra charge.

They try to get away with what they can...show them you don't fall for it and they usually change their tune.

5. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Sep 17 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]8349[/snapback]

Ran into something new to me at the end of this years' summer travels. Reservations on weekdays after Labor Day are usually not needed up north so I did not bother to call ahead for my planned stop at a Wisconsin KOA. This had been our first (reserved) stop 2 months earlier at the start of our trip. At check-in I noticed that the charge was $2 more than before. I was informed that if we had called the day before and reserved the site it would have been $2 cheaper. I had never encountered this before and contacted KOA who said this was a policy option that each park owner could decide on whether or not to use. When I complained to the owner before we left, her only defense was that hotels do it. I feel that this is either a hidden charge for "drive-in" customers or an uncdisclosed discount for those who make reservations. Either way, I consider it a sleazy business practice even if it is only $2.

I have stayed here numerous times in the past before this owner took over last year. At the very least, I think KOA should notify its' cardholders of this practice and each parks' listing should advise customers of the $2 charge for "drive-in" customers. In season, there may be some logic in knowing how many customers you are going to have, but when the park is only a quarter full afer Labor Day I don't see how is makes a difference. Additionally, this is not a resort or destination park - it is mostly overnighters.

In the state of minnesota, the state parks sub-contract their reservation service and charge a whopping $7.00 reservation fee. Bull pucks to me. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

KOAs are known to have everyday rates and the holiday rate. I asked our local KOA why, and his answer was that on the holidays more users of the facilities warranted the increase. huh ? The same number of employees were on staff wether it was a holiday or everyday. The same duties were performed everyday, so why the increase ? The answer, in my opinion, is a way to pad the bottom line. Another reason is, because they can. Have been going to this KOA for over ten years, until last year, and have compared the numbers using the campground to the past numbers of the previous owners and the numbers have dropped. They maybe making the same or more money but the campground has never been to capacity since the recent owners have operated it. We do not use this or any other KOA at this point because of KOA's corporate policies and influences on the franchised owner operated campgrounds. We do business with the small "mom & pop" operations who appreciate your business and loyalty. I do realize that these establishments may not fulfill everyones needs, but they work for us.