How Do You Remove Decals From Rv

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by tedpat, May 20, 2012.

1. tedpat

tedpat
    Expand Collapse

My decals are beginning to crack and fall off. Do you know how to remove the remaining parts of decals?

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I have used a heat gun and acetone to remove the glue in the past with good luck. You only need to warm the glue under the decals up a little to pull them off. The longer the decals have been in place the more fun to remove them.

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tedpat @ May 20 2012, 10:08 AM) [snapback]29553[/snapback]

My decals are beginning to crack and fall off. Do you know how to remove the remaining parts of decals?

Carefully. Using a heat gun (Hair blow drier will do too). Industrial Razor Blades (available at most hardware stores) will help too. Warm the decal just enough to loosen the adhesive. Carefully slide the blade under the edge of the decal and pull. This could be a long and drawn out process. Be carefully what you use to remove the old adhesive too. Make sure it won't damage the finish.

I had the same problem on a 2000 C Class. I was able to get all of the old decals off with just a very few marks to the fiberglas skin but then I was left with an un-faded finish where the decals were. It looked terrible. I contacted a local striping company (Trim Line) and they covered where the old decals were with a new color scheme. It looked great. The cost was reasonable. I think I paid around $600.00. I also discovered that they would have removed the old ones for me. I would have gladly paid them. If you Google "vehicle graphics and decals" I'm sure you will be able to find someone locally.

Darrell

4. Greentow

Greentow
    Expand Collapse

Harbor Freight has a "Hot Blade", razor blade in a woodburning iron, that works well, but be careful. Good hairdyer/heat gun, used VERY carefully, single edge razor blade, SLOOOOW and easy.