How Far South

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by pianotuna, Dec 15, 2008.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Doug,

Why then I have very likely driven by your park. How sad that I didn't know it was yours.

QUOTE(Parkview @ Dec 21 2008, 06:19 PM) [snapback]14583[/snapback]

:D

Hi Don,

I like US 83. It passes 1 1/2 miles from a very pretty park. Guess which one. :D

Thanks,

Doug

2. Firewarden

Firewarden
    Expand Collapse

I was just in Yuma at Cocopah RV. It was full of Saskatchewanites. The temperature was excellent. Now after reading all the Texas recommendations, I'll have to try there. I've only been there doing a flight change in Dallas/Fort Worth, so didn't get a feel for the area.

3. catemaco

catemaco
    Expand Collapse

Cross over in to Mexico in Brownsville Texas... travel a couple days on the Gulf Coast Highway 180 to Catemaco, Veracruz. Coldest ever in 7 years was 58 F. This time of year day time highs around 75 to 85, beaches 30 minutes away, Lake Catemaco, rivers, waterfalls....life is good!

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We are located between Orlando and Tampa and it is supposed to get down to freezing for the next two night. The Plant City area which is a huge winter strawberry area is having a huge problem and will likely lose a portion of their crop the next several days. The majority of the citrus will not be affected. This area used to be the heart of the citrus area, but that moved South after the freezes of the 1980’s. These temps would not be a problem for RV’s in my opinion and could easily be handled without a lot of extra expense.

5. Farmerswife

Farmerswife
    Expand Collapse

We have been in Texas all of January 2009 and have found just lovely weather, both along the coast from Palacios on down and now in West Texas, notably Big Bend National Park, which is so fabulous it makes your heart break.

In past years we have found Florida to be warm but the further south one goes the more one finds crowds and traffic and very tightly spaced parks. Everyone likes different things, but if you value nature and wide open spaces, I'd go for West Texas.

If you want restaurants that are great but have long lines, busy streets and lots of shopping, Florida might suit you better.

6. Cap'n Easy

Cap'n Easy
    Expand Collapse

When I was researching locations in Florida for my first snowbird jaunt down there a former native of Ft Myers, FL suggested this as a good rule of thumb to find a warm spot in winter. Draw a line from Tampa/St. Pete on the Gulf to Miami on the Atlantic and pick someplace west or south of it. I stayed in North Ft. Myers in Jan. & Feb. '09, and the whole area experienced some unusually cold temps (for down there.) Over all though I LOVED it. Also, it seems the farther south you go or the closer to the sea you choose the more expensive it becomes. Good luck next time.

7. rvn4fun3

rvn4fun3
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 19 2008, 02:37 PM) [snapback]14561[/snapback]

Don,

After you get to Omaha there are lots of ways to continue on south. If you really want to come to Texas here's how I'd go.
    I-29 to Kansas City, I-35 to Oklahoma City, I-44 to Witchita Falls (TX), Hwy 281 to the Texas hill country, San Antonio, or the Texas valley.

When you get on I-35 you can also take it to the hill country, SA or the valley, but 281 is prettier and more interesting. It all depends on how you like to travel. I-35 is a busy interstate with lots of 18 wheeler traffic, but it gets you there without any stoplights, and there's plenty of services along the access roads. Hwy 281 is an undivided 2 (or sometimes 4) lane road that goes through many small towns with local sights and "color" and great cafes. It is a good road, but far more leisurely.

Either of these routes will make you zig zag a bit, but not too badly. I looked for a north/south road a little farther to the west than I-29, but there doesn't seem to be one. And that far north it is probably better to stay on the interstates.

Just travel safe and look forward to a good time.

8. rvn4fun3

rvn4fun3
    Expand Collapse

We are first year winter Texans from South Dakota. We are located just off of 281, about 30 miles north of San Antonio. We have been mildly dissappointed with the weather so far. We have been in Texas since November 28th and most days have been cloudy and in the 50s. The few clear days were beautiful, in the 70s. BUT we are not complaining, compared to what we left in the Dakotas. Most Texans agree that this has been a unusually cold season this year. The hill country here is beautiful, but next year we will be in Yuma. We took hiway 81 thru South Dakota and Nebraska, then on the interstate thru Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, then over to 281 at New Braunfels. Hiway 81 is the only fast way to get thru Nebraska, but it still takes a long time to get thru Nebraska with all there little speed traps around every little town. Good luck getting here as the midwest is white and still snowing.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm so sorry our south Texas weather has not been as pretty as normal, but after the hot dry summer we had the cool wet days are a bit of a welcome relief. We still really need the rain, but maybe there will be some pretty days ahead for you to enjoy. I hope you will be here long enough to see our Bluebonnets. They sometimes bloom as early as mid February, but March and April are their best months. They do better with a cool wet winter so this may be a good year for them.

10. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 15 2008, 06:18 PM) [snapback]14489[/snapback]

Hi all,

I'm planning a mad dash south from Regina, SK. How far south do I need to go to:

1. Get out of the snow zone
    2. get out of the below freezing zone
    3. get to where minimum daily temperature is no less than 50 F (10 C)

I'd prefer to give mountain roads a miss.

ha, ha, ha, good question, are yu ready to drive as far as Caracas !!!
    I am in Florida, close to Tampa and tonight it is going to be minus 3 centigrade... Good luck