Killer Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rodeo1, Sep 18, 2006.

1. rodeo1

rodeo1
    Expand Collapse

i just have to say this. i have been reading several campground reviews that have been [SIZE=12pt]gettinglow review numbers, then when you read them it is all over weak wi-fi. i think its a sad day when a really killer campground has to endure low reviews over some moron who cant go out and enjoy camping without a stupid computer to check his "e-mail" every ten minutes, then low rate a park over it.

sorry just my 2 cents worth.

2. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Boy thats kind of rough. Don't usually see name calling on this forum.Any way you don't seem to understand that many of us are full timers or spend extended times on the road and the email is the only contact that we have with loved ones.Some make their living while traveling and need to be connected.
    f you have been following the posts there have been a lot of complants about park advertising wifi that don't have a very good system. It is a shame you havn't leaned to be a little more tolerant of your fellow RVers. Morons???????????

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I gotta' agree with Big Ben on this one...while poor wifi may not be the only reason to rate a park low, for those who do need the internet to conduct business, both personal and otherwise, it would be a consideration when looking for a park to stay at. I think we all try to be tolerant of each other's opinions here, and have enough sense to read between the lines on reviews. I think it is unfair to call those who do rate along those lines "morons". If it is something that is important to them and the campground has stated that they have wifi, I assume the camper would expect it to be "useable" wifi. I truly do hope you will also be tolerant of other's opinions and refrain from name calling in the future.

4. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I will give up my internet when you shut down your toilet. And I won't even call you a moron if you do shut down your toilet, although I suspect you will soon come to that realization yourself.

5. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with the 3 previous posts. Every person has their reasons for rating a park. If wi-fi is important to one person then they will rate the park according to their personal reasons. I have found it to be important to read all reviews to get a full understanding of a campground. I will agree that name calling is a little strong. If you really like a park, just rate it based on your creteria understanding that your criteria might be different from others.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I also agree with the other post. I have wrote up a lot of parks to date and not one time have I ever down rated a park for poor WiFi service. I do note this in the comments so other people who do not use the US mail service or stones to sent and receive information can see the problem. We now live in a new age of information. A lot of RV people have about everything to work the internet. If WiFi is poor or missing I use our cell phone to work the internet or a local phone line. We like other on this board travel for months on end and e-mail and internet helps keep me up to date on new information, banking, etc.

I also think you will find most RV people on this board are not "Morons" but nice people who enjoy our life on the road.

Use care in your use of words.

7. oldcutup

oldcutup
    Expand Collapse

Last year we were camping in Tennessee and my next door neighbor in a Monach 40'er was complaining about the wi/fi connection. They blew me away when they solved there communications problems by driving around the neighborhood and finding a "Hot Spot". I liken this to Walmart parking lot campers. I have a cell phone connection and/or go to the library and use their computer.
    When we are running away from or tracking a hurricanes, we go to the library and get a $.10 cent print-out. This method is more reliable than the Weather Channel. Their reporters always go to the wrong location and stand there in their "Blue rain gear" and say the wind is blowning.

I would like someone camping near me and call me a "Moron". Camping would not be their favorite passtime after they got an ear full from me.

Happy camping
    Lee and Cleo
    Florida

8. troyster

troyster
    Expand Collapse

I have to go along with the consensus on this one.

My wife has a job that requires her to be online regularly. If she has a break, we will stay at a campground where WiFi is not an issue. We may have it and we may not. But when we need it, we go out of our way to find a campground that advertisies WiFi, and then I always call them and explain that we need WiFi and ask if the can assure us a good connection.

These are the ones that get dowrated by me when the WiFi is bad. I don't care if a campground has it or not, but if they tell me they have it, then I expect it. Just like if they tell me they have trees, or showers, or laundry room.

If you don't have something, and you tell people you do, just to get them to your campground, then you are a shyster, and deserve a lower rating.

If holding someone accountable to stand behind the promises they make qualifies me as a "Moron" then that's a hat I'll wear with pride.

9. cuse44

cuse44
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with the majority on this one. I am new here and hope that all of you will rate honestly on all attributes.

I read one entry that rates all campgrounds low if they don't allow fires. Maybe it's the same guy who doesn't like wifi :lol:

Since I have several burn holes in my awning caused by neighbors fires, I say good when I see "no fires". Plus with all of the fires out west, I am sure thay don't need any more help starting fires.

10. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm going to support the new guy on this - simply because he's been getting hammered and because it's fun, at times, to be in the minority. :D He does have a point - although the language he used could have been a little more "nice." If I'm in a camp & rate it low only because the WiFi is bad, that would be shortsighted of me. If a camp told me they had great WiFi & I could not pick it up when I stepped outside their store, that would be shortsighted of them - and yeah that would affect the rating. Now, can't we all just get along?

11. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

The posting made by rodeo1 sure did stir up a hornets nets, but we all should allow this individual to voice his, and or her, opinion. We have fought wars over the right to freedom of speech and opinions that may differ from our own. The wording within the post was strong, and have to agree the wording could have been toned down somewhat, but it surely got everyones attention. Personally in reading the posting, I can see the point made that it's to bad that we can not go out camping, and simply enjoy the experience. My pet peeve is "cell phones". They are used to invade our personal space in restaurants, on the street, in stores, and have seen them used in church. What did they do before they can upon the scene ? We all have something that tics us off on whatever the subject. Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion.

12. woodman

woodman
    Expand Collapse

Well, hi.

We morons finance our full-time life on the road by working part-time in gifted education, he running the business end of a mathcamp and I teaching writing to gifted kids. All this is via a Datastorm dish which, right now, isn't working worth a rip even though we paid nearly $6K for it and all of its accoutrements less than a year ago. Cell phones complete the gear we must use constantly for work.

If that makes us morons in your book, then I can only hope you find others out here on the road as judgmental of how you must live your life as you are of how we must live ours.

W

13. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

That is what is so wonderful about this site, the ratings are done by fellow RV'ers. This being the case people are going to rate the parks according to what is important to them. The more important an item to a person the more it will effect the park rating when they do a review. The other great thing is when someone is looking through the reviews if they see a low review based on items that are not important to what they expect in a park they can choose to ignore that review. That is the great thing about our country is the freedom to express are opinion and also the freedom to disagree or ignore someone elses opinion if we don't like it. That being said I think we should be able to disagree with someone's opinion without the need to put them down just because we don't agree with it. Can't we all just get along. :D

14. Leezerman

Leezerman
    Expand Collapse

Having been looking on this awsome site for a few months and just now signing up I have seen that most people explain why they rate a park what it is so you can adjust it to what is important to you..... relax and enjoy.

15. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

;) Well I cannot agree with the "Moron" definition and lower rating because the campground does not provide specific services, however and in my opinion, there should not be an evaluation by the camper but only a statement on what's available, what's not, and the status of the items identified.
    My reason for arriving at this conclusion is because we are human being with different expectations and values and I am pretty sure that if the chat would amend the rating form in which it would be identified specific items that should be compulsory in a campsite and the extra amenities available, the readers of the report would make up his own mind of whether the place is suitable for his,/her or not.
    As an example this list should start with size and locations (size; trees or not; whether it is well leveled or...; water, sewage, hydro, TV, Internet.. etc..; cost ..etc... and at the bottom of the list a comment by the evaluator whether the place was clean, functional, staff polite.. etc..
    I am not trying to open a competition among members but, I am pretty sure that if the chat moderator would ask the member for assistance in finding the proper questions, we will be glade to help.

:p

16. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

Sounds a bit like a disgruntled campground owner who got a bad review.

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I have been following this thread since the first post and have finally decided to add my 2 cents. I can understand rodeo1’s thinking about going camping to “get away from it all” (most of my relatives are that way), but I prefer to stay in touch. Email and the internet is the best way to do that when traveling. We have just returned from a 3 week trip and during that time I made note of the different reasons that I used the internet. Besides sending email and pictures about our trip to relatives and friends, I was also able to monitor what was happening with our parents who are elderly. They especially enjoy our trip news and pictures since they cannot travel anymore. Additionally I went on line to find out about events and attractions in the areas where we stayed. I checked out prices and times of operation and found phone numbers to call for reservations. I checked weather reports, gas prices, and the stock market to see if we could stay longer or if we had to come home. :lol: And oh yes, I even read a few reviews for RV parks. I’m sure I could have done all of this in other ways, but it certainly was convenient and time saving to have the information at my finger tips. So now I guess I’m just another moron heard from.

18. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 25 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]5336[/snapback]

I have been following this thread since the first post and have finally decided to add my 2 cents. I can understand rodeo1’s thinking about going camping to “get away from it all” (most of my relatives are that way), but I prefer to stay in touch. Email and the internet is the best way to do that when traveling. We have just returned from a 3 week trip and during that time I made note of the different reasons that I used the internet. Besides sending email and pictures about our trip to relatives and friends, I was also able to monitor what was happening with our parents who are elderly. They especially enjoy our trip news and pictures since they cannot travel anymore. Additionally I went on line to find out about events and attractions in the areas where we stayed. I checked out prices and times of operation and found phone numbers to call for reservations. I checked weather reports, gas prices, and the stock market to see if we could stay longer or if we had to come home. :lol: And oh yes, I even read a few reviews for RV parks. I’m sure I could have done all of this in other ways, but it certainly was convenient and time saving to have the information at my finger tips. So now I guess I’m just another moron heard from.

;) Don't be too hard with yourself Texasrvers, you don't have to be a moron in order to wish whatever is common practice on today's world, we are living in a world where these facilities have become part of our way of life, I am like you and I need my computer more than the telephone and notwithstanding the fact that I am spending my Winter’s months in a campsite, in Florida, where there is no internet facility, I run every second day to the local library in order to use the facility there.

19. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

There was a short time I did agree with Rodeo1, except the moron thing, that it would be nice if people could get away without their laptops and cell phones ringing all the time and enjoy the camp ground. Like some of the previous post's their are allot of people who do travel more and like to keep in touch and what better way than fresh pictures and e-mail. The one thing people are going to have to realise is that most people that either own or run RV parks are not IT people. They depend on other so called experts who install wireless and tell them it works. There are still allot of bugs to be worked out in the wireless world. So don't be so hard on the people that think they have a good network, they are probably relying on what someone has told them. Of course if they advertise it and don't try and stay on top of it then shame on them. Being an IT person in a major hospital and seeing what kind of problems we can have with a million dollar system think of what mom and pop can have with a much less reliable system. Just a thought.

20. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

:D Well rodman, I tend to disagree with you with respect to a functionality of a given items in a campsite, the fact that a promotion advertises certain features and then are not available or not functional, could generate a lawsuit from a camper.
    I have to agree with you that an RV camp should be a recreational place where those items should be of secondary importance, however, if they are advertised it means that they are part of the cost to stay at that camp and when some one chooses to stay in that place he/she is entitle to have it available.
    As I mentioned in my previous message, I am spending my Winters in a camp that don’t provide Internet facilities, however, knowing that in Florida every libraries provide the internet access, I decided that I could live with it.
    I am retired but I still have business contacts at home and wish to keep in touch with it, furthermore, I also have relatives in Canada and I love to exchange words with them once in a while.
    In closing, the issue is not whether or not a campsite has to have, or not, the internet connection, the matter at issue is a misleading information to attract people with false pretense.
    Gee, I am so good and I wonder why I didn’t become a lawyer ha, ha, ha :lol: