Location, Location, Location

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Texasrvers, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I think this is a wonderful site so please do not take this as a criticism. However, the problem I have is that when I search for reviews in a certain area I suspect I miss finding some great campgrounds because they are listed under a neighboring city which I do not know to look under. I have found some of these by accident which makes me wonder how many good places I’ve missed because I did not know where they were located. I realize I can use an atlas to look up all the cities listed for a particular state to see if they are near my destination, but that takes a lot of time. Is there some way the review section could indicate where a reviewed site is located? Or does it do that already and I’m just missing it? Or does anyone have a good quick way for finding out where campgrounds are located within a state and also what others are located nearby?

2. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 25 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]5337[/snapback]

I think this is a wonderful site so please do not take this as a criticism. However, the problem I have is that when I search for reviews in a certain area I suspect I miss finding some great campgrounds because they are listed under a neighboring city which I do not know to look under. I have found some of these by accident which makes me wonder how many good places I’ve missed because I did not know where they were located. I realize I can use an atlas to look up all the cities listed for a particular state to see if they are near my destination, but that takes a lot of time. Is there some way the review section could indicate where a reviewed site is located? Or does it do that already and I’m just missing it? Or does anyone have a good quick way for finding out where campgrounds are located within a state and also what others are located nearby?

Each campground review is listed under the city it is closest to and is included with all of the other campgrounds near that city. This is shown at the top of the page when reading a review. Also at the top of the page (when you are looking at reviews for a specific city) it will show what cities are nearby that particular city and how far away they are.

If you wish to search for campground in the surrounding area click on the campground search on the menu bar at the top. This will give you two search options. On the left side of the page you can do a general search where you can search by Campground name, region name, city name, review comments, or campground URL. On the right side of the page you can do a Nearby search. Here you can enter a City/State or a Zipcode and then select a distance (5-100 miles) and it will return with a list of campgrounds within the area that you selected. For example, if you enter Salt Lake City and Nevada with a selected distance of 25 miles the search will return a list of campgrounds within 25 miles of Salt Lake City.

Hope this info is helpful. :)

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks COWolfPack. Wow, the things you don't see!!! I knew about the nearby cities listed at the top of the review, but I had never noticed the "Nearby Search." That is just what I needed. Your information was very helpful. Now I just have one more question. Isn't Salt Lake City in Utah? Or did they move it while I was on my last trip? :D

4. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

Glad I could help. You are right, Salt Lake City is in Utah. I was aout 10 hours in on a 12 hour night shift when I was writing that (on break) so I wasn't thinking as clearly as I could have been. Maybe next time I should do the search I am giving as an example so I don't make such a silly mistake. :rolleyes: Or perhaps an extra cup of coffee would have helped.