Mid-oct. Yellowstone & Tetons For Big Rig

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by janmcn, Aug 13, 2007.

1. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

I understand that in mid-Oct. when we'll be in Yellowstone and Tetons (if the weather is OK, otherwise we'll bypass them) Madison Campground in Yellowstone is still open and supposed to be OK for large motorhomes. Can people give me personal experience about this? When we've been by it before, it looked like there were a lot of trees that might be a problem.

Also, I see that Gros Ventre in the Tetons is open until mid-Oct. (Oct. 15 it says), so would like personal experience for big rigs there, too.

We'll be traveling in a 40' motorhome towing a Jeep.

Thanks...
    Jan

2. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(janmcn @ Aug 13 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]7944[/snapback]

I understand that in mid-Oct. when we'll be in Yellowstone and Tetons (if the weather is OK, otherwise we'll bypass them) Madison Campground in Yellowstone is still open and supposed to be OK for large motorhomes. Can people give me personal experience about this? When we've been by it before, it looked like there were a lot of trees that might be a problem.

Also, I see that Gros Ventre in the Tetons is open until mid-Oct. (Oct. 15 it says), so would like personal experience for big rigs there, too.

We'll be traveling in a 40' motorhome towing a Jeep.

Thanks...
    Jan

Hi. We stayed just outside of the southern Yellowstone gate last year in a 34' class A. I think it was the Grand Teton park, and all went well. The couple across from us had a 40' pusher, and he was OK. My only problem w/ these parks is the fact that they HATE to cut back any branches on the trees, and....well you can guess the rest. SO, if you value the paint job on your coach, BEWARE ! I think that the parks in Yellowstone are dry camp, w/ even more trees. Also, you can pretty much forget your sat. reception. Trees, trees, trees !!! As always, hope this helps. L8R

3. Bob & Phyllis

Bob & Phyllis
    Expand Collapse

We highly recommend not taking a big rig into the park due to traffic, roads, etc. Stay in Cody and commute like we are doing right now :)

4. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bob & Phyllis @ Aug 13 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]7947[/snapback]

We highly recommend not taking a big rig into the park due to traffic, roads, etc. Stay in Cody and commute like we are doing right now :)

Hi. Are you guys in the park just east of the Wal-Mart, on the main drag? (can't remember the name). We stayed there after we lost the brakes on the old coach, coming down the "hill" out of the east gate at Yellowstone, headed toward Cody, which of course was under construction. We ended up doing the brakes ourselves in the RV park. Thats quite a drive every day, round trip. Why not leave the RV in Cody, and stay in a cabin in Yellowstone? Anyway, sorry I got off the subject, but it brings back some mixed memories !!

5. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

If you are looking at staying at Madison Junction, the town of West Yellowstone is only a 10 minute drive and the facilities at some of the campgrounds are full hookup. If you stay there or at Madison Junction, be prepared to drive!! Neither West Yellowstone or Madison Junction are near any of the tourist attractions at Yellowstone. Fishing Bridge is closer to the sites, but it is just a parking lot, sites very close together. We just returned from a 30 day trip out there. We stayed in West Yellowstone, but checked out all the campgrounds in the park.

6. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the replies...not really what I needed, though. We've been in the park many times, have driven through it in our rig, so know we can do it easily (just doing a straight drive through on the western loop), and have also stayed in W. Yellowstone. We know the time frames needed. Just really wanted to see if anyone here had been in Madison CG with a large (40') rig and who might have stayed near Jackson in either a dry camp situation or one of the cgs nearby (Gros Ventre) with a rig. Still looking for solutions, but right now looks like we'll stay at Madison and then drive through Jackson and continue to ID.

Jan

7. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

While we were touring the yellowstone area, we looked at Madison Junction. There were areas that had some large Motorhomes so I know you can get in there. Most were class C's though. I think you should be able to get your motorhome in many of the sites, but don't quote me on that since we did not stay there.