Need Help With Organizing Ideas

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by LindaAnn, Feb 26, 2007.

1. LindaAnn

LindaAnn
    Expand Collapse

We purchased a motorhome last year and have taken several short trips, but now have a trip planned to the Grand Canyon for 3 weeks. I never seem to have quite enough countertop room in the kitchen for preparing meals, etc. Any suggestions? I have seen a folding kitchen cart, but not quite sure about it. Anyway, I would appreciate any help.
    Also, I am new to this forum, and hope to get lots of good information.
    Thanks.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Linda,

I solved part of my counter top prep space problems by getting a large wooden cutting board. I place it on the stove, and do my prep before I start any cooking. It works well--and in my tiny class C really improves the area I have to work in.

I've also toyed with the idea of adding a TV tray top that I'd fasten with a hinge to the edge of the counter top--using the "legs" to fit into a holder for a cantilever support--but that would restrict access to the rest of the RV and "trap" me inside until I was finished cooking.

I'd love to have some "cooking rings" like those on a boat so I could cook while trundling down the road too. I have managed a single "holder" for the coffee pot--so at least I can do that while I travel.

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. Our motorhome has a section of counter that is hinged to the edge of the cabinet and I can raise it and lock it in place as needed - which it is always needed when I am cooking. I sit at the table when chopping vegges or other prep that I can do sitting down because I am a messy cook and have to spread everything out. I also prepare some things in advance of leaving home and freeze them, so I just have to thaw and warm up when in the RV. On "travel" days, Greg usually likes to pull into a rest stop and have sandwiches for lunch, so I have sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, and pickles, in seperate sandwich baggies, then I put them all in a large baggie. That way when we stop, I just have to grab the lunchmeat, cheese, mustard and my condiments bag out of the fridge and can have the sandwiches made and everything back in the fridge before he gets back inside from taking the dogs out to do their business. He likes macaroni and cheese and so before we leave home, I cut a chunk of cheddar cheese into small cubes so when I make it in the rv, the cheese is ready to go. I also shape the hamburger meat into patties, put my seasonings on them and freeze so that when he wants to grill burgers on the road, I just pull them out of the freezer. There is a lot of prep work you can do before even leaving home, which helps with the counter space in the motorhome. We also have cutting boards that fit over the sink, but I have found that I can only use one while preparing meals because I always need to be able to get to a sink. I look forawrd to hearing what others have to say about your post - I can always use helpful tips...

4. LindaAnn

LindaAnn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Feb 26 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]6239[/snapback]

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. Our motorhome has a section of counter that is hinged to the edge of the cabinet and I can raise it and lock it in place as needed - which it is always needed when I am cooking. I sit at the table when chopping vegges or other prep that I can do sitting down because I am a messy cook and have to spread everything out. I also prepare some things in advance of leaving home and freeze them, so I just have to thaw and warm up when in the RV. On "travel" days, Greg usually likes to pull into a rest stop and have sandwiches for lunch, so I have sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, and pickles, in seperate sandwich baggies, then I put them all in a large baggie. That way when we stop, I just have to grab the lunchmeat, cheese, mustard and my condiments bag out of the fridge and can have the sandwiches made and everything back in the fridge before he gets back inside from taking the dogs out to do their business. He likes macaroni and cheese and so before we leave home, I cut a chunk of cheddar cheese into small cubes so when I make it in the rv, the cheese is ready to go. I also shape the hamburger meat into patties, put my seasonings on them and freeze so that when he wants to grill burgers on the road, I just pull them out of the freezer. There is a lot of prep work you can do before even leaving home, which helps with the counter space in the motorhome. We also have cutting boards that fit over the sink, but I have found that I can only use one while preparing meals because I always need to be able to get to a sink. I look forawrd to hearing what others have to say about your post - I can always use helpful tips...

5. LindaAnn

LindaAnn
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl, thanks for the post and the good info. I am looking forward to visiting this forum a lot because I need all the help I can get!

Linda

6. LindaAnn

LindaAnn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Feb 26 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]6237[/snapback]

Hi Linda,

I solved part of my counter top prep space problems by getting a large wooden cutting board. I place it on the stove, and do my prep before I start any cooking. It works well--and in my tiny class C really improves the area I have to work in.

I've also toyed with the idea of adding a TV tray top that I'd fasten with a hinge to the edge of the counter top--using the "legs" to fit into a holder for a cantilever support--but that would restrict access to the rest of the RV and "trap" me inside until I was finished cooking.

I'd love to have some "cooking rings" like those on a boat so I could cook while trundling down the road too. I have managed a single "holder" for the coffee pot--so at least I can do that while I travel.

7. LindaAnn

LindaAnn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(LindaAnn @ Feb 26 2007, 10:20 PM) [snapback]6247[/snapback]

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Feb 26 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]6237[/snapback]

Hi Linda,

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

LindaAnn> I went to a cabinet shop and had them make two sink covers that match our counter top. When we are preparing a meal, we put one or both of the covers over the sink(s) for extra counter space. I had them made with a small finger size hole in the middle so they can be lifted easily. I also attached four self sticking rub feet on the underside of each so when not in use, they are stacked on the counter top behind the faucets.

We have also found they come in hand as a tray on which to carry things outside. Then there is the definitive use for them...to cover the dirty dishes in the sink when we have visitors. :)

Rick

9. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

I use a piece of butcher block on top of the metal stove cover. It has some non skid material on the back to keep it from sliding around as you are preparing food. We also use the sink covers that came with the trailer.

10. toolmaann

toolmaann
    Expand Collapse

I have a neighbor who runs a cabinet shop. He gave me a piece (perhaps 24"x30") piece of Corain that matched our interior colors. I cut one large piece, installed 4 rubber feet and it sits above our stove. this gives my wife plenty of extra counter space for prepping meals. When not in use, I slip it between that awkward spot between the shower and bathroom vanity.

With the remaining Corian, I cut three trivet/hot pads that sit atop the counter.

One day, I expect to fashion some sort of oak table that will match up to the counter height, that can be stored under the sofa.

11. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

Our 2006 BT Cruiser came with both Corian sink and stove top covers--that extra space certainly comes in very handy for a variety of things. Where I found a problem was cabinet storage. This unit does have a large upper cabinet, so I bought removable wire shelves (3)and put all boxed items (cereal, flour, etc) in Tupperware's Modular Mates. They stack very nicely and really give more storage. I also bought smaller dinner plates, bowls, etc that are lightweight and stackable. You will find that you don't need a lot of serving pieces as well. We use 'buffet style' dinning! I also purchased some removable sliding draws (basket type) for use under the sink--again by stacking things, you double your storage space. We try to avoid disposable items such as plastic bags, foam plates, etc. It's much better for the environment.and easier on the budget. We noted that many of the newer unit come with medicine cabinets instead of the mirror and more storage area in the bathroom areas. I use divided baskets under that sink for various times. The storage under the unit my husband has large bins filled with similar items that we can just slide out for access to things further in. That seems to work, too. We also use those 'space bags' for heavy jacket, blanket, etc that we don't use very often but need to have available. The idea about preparing food ahead of time is something else I do even at home. Sure saves time!
    :rolleyes: