Newbie Rv'r

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by kwilliam10, Jul 11, 2007.

1. kwilliam10

kwilliam10
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

My family and I just put our deposit down on a new 2007 Rockwood Roo RV Trailer. We will pick it up on Wednesday. I am now joining this site, cause it looks like a fantastic source for everyone, on every aspect of RV'ing. I've been a tent camper, all my life (every state but Hawaii and Alaska........but I'll get those, some day, as well.) B)

My question for all you, is ...we live in Maryland...and anticipate our first adventure in the next couple weekends. I want it to be a WOW factor, weekend....so the family stays interested. (kids are 4 yo and 2 yo.) I like the appeal of the NP "rustic" atmosphere....but want to make use of the new amenities of the RV. Anyone have any suggestions for the MD, VA, PA areas? Nice lakes or mountains would be a great appeal. I don't like the idea of some place full of permanent trailers, open, flat....with nothing to look at.

I'm new to RV'ing, so I'll be a bit hesitant with the parking and setup.....so easy, big sites would be prefereable.

Anyone care to give us a couple ideas?? ;)

Thanks all,

The Williamson Family

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

In VA full open sites at Williamsburg "American Heritage RV Park" also "Williamsburg Pottery Campground", American is the best. In Winchester "Candy Hill Campground". In MD the State Parks are on the small side. In New Holland, PA look at "Spring Gulch Campground" in Amish land. Look at this site for tons of good information. See if park has big rigs check YES.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

www.cherrystoneva.com Great family style resort campground. crabbing, fishing, four pools, Just too much to write. Also about 1 1/2 plus hours drive one way to busch Gardons!
    ( we didn't mind doing long day trips)

Good luck and have fun with your new TT
    Mike & Family :D

4. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I have never camped at a Maryland State Park I haven't liked...Greenbrier, Point Lookout, Deep Creek and Rocky Gap are my favorites.

5. kwilliam10

kwilliam10
    Expand Collapse

Thanks all, for the feedback.

Regards,

Keith Williamson

6. kit

kit
    Expand Collapse

7. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Jul 11 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]7664[/snapback]

www.cherrystoneva.com Great family style resort campground. crabbing, fishing, four pools, Just too much to write. Also about 1 1/2 plus hours drive one way to busch Gardons!
    ( we didn't mind doing long day trips)

Good luck and have fun with your new TT
    Mike & Family :D

I agree Cherrystone Camp Resort on Virginia's eastern shore is a must visit. They are located on the Chesapeake Bay with several pools, loads of planned activities for the children, special themed week-ends, fishing piers, boat launch, small boat rentals and on and on and on. Very nice size sites, many pull-thrus and large wooded back-ins. Check out their website and give them a visit. I don't think you'll be disappointed! B)

8. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jul 11 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]7662[/snapback]

In VA full open sites at Williamsburg "American Heritage RV Park" also "Williamsburg Pottery Campground", American is the best. In Winchester "Candy Hill Campground". In MD the State Parks are on the small side. In New Holland, PA look at "Spring Gulch Campground" in Amish land. Look at this site for tons of good information. See if park has big rigs check YES.

:angry: Be careful of Candy Hill in Winchester, VA. Mgmt can be difficult and they are military like with their rules. Rules are good, it's how they're enforced that can make the difference between a pleasant stay and a ruined weekend. The campground itself is very nice!

9. shannons

shannons
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kwilliam10 @ Jul 11 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]7660[/snapback]

Hi all,

My family and I just put our deposit down on a new 2007 Rockwood Roo RV Trailer. We will pick it up on Wednesday. I am now joining this site, cause it looks like a fantastic source for everyone, on every aspect of RV'ing. I've been a tent camper, all my life (every state but Hawaii and Alaska........but I'll get those, some day, as well.) B)

My question for all you, is ...we live in Maryland...and anticipate our first adventure in the next couple weekends. I want it to be a WOW factor, weekend....so the family stays interested. (kids are 4 yo and 2 yo.) I like the appeal of the NP "rustic" atmosphere....but want to make use of the new amenities of the RV. Anyone have any suggestions for the MD, VA, PA areas? Nice lakes or mountains would be a great appeal. I don't like the idea of some place full of permanent trailers, open, flat....with nothing to look at.

I'm new to RV'ing, so I'll be a bit hesitant with the parking and setup.....so easy, big sites would be prefereable.

Anyone care to give us a couple ideas?? ;)

Thanks all,

The Williamson Family

Hi, you might want to check out the Jellystone campgrounds. They are all Yogi Bear oriented and there is always stuff for the kids to do. We have 2 kids, our daughter is 12 and our son is 9. We also have a dog. We have stayed at the Jellystone in Mill Run, Pennsylvania; Williamstown, Maryland; Luray, Virginia and Manatua, Ohio. We have been happy with all of them. They were all really nice when we called for information.

10. Glynn

Glynn
    Expand Collapse

Sorry no help on your questiopn except that, at ages 4 and 2, you needn't worry about your kids enjoying it. You'll make it an adventure for them whatever you choose!

11. nala0016

nala0016
    Expand Collapse

Your kids are at a perfect age for rv ing. Spring gulch in new holland pa is great. We have found a lot of people from maryland, since it is close. the sites up on the hill (1500's) are large and easily to back into and contain sewer, cable, electric and water. It will give you "camping in the woods" experience. The sites are separated by trees, so it will give you the privacy. The seasonals are on one side and compared to other campgrounds, not many seasonal trailers are there. Outside the campground, there is dutch wonderland park and the amish country places to visit.
    Try to get out camping especially in october as many campgrounds have halloween themes and trick a treating during the weekends in october.
    We have found the replies and feedback on campgrounds on this site to be very helpful in finding what we are looking for.
    :)

12. Mikeeg

Mikeeg
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Elk Neck State Park in the town of North East Maryland. They have a full hookup loop which is great . The park has the Susquahana River on one side and the Cheasapeck Bay on the other with nice marina and swimming beach. It doesn't get better then this park with store and lots to due. The park is and easy drive in northeast area of Maryland. You can google Maryland state parks will get you there. GOOD LUCK with the new rig. :)

13. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Mikeeg @ Aug 1 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]7873[/snapback]

We stayed at Elk Neck State Park in the town of North East Maryland. They have a full hookup loop which is great . The park has the Susquahana River on one side and the Cheasapeck Bay on the other with nice marina and swimming beach. It doesn't get better then this park with store and lots to due. The park is and easy drive in northeast area of Maryland. You can google Maryland state parks will get you there. GOOD LUCK with the new rig. :)

Elk Neck is a beautiful campground and there are several reviews of it on this site in the reviews section (no need to Google :) )

And, just for clarification, it is the North East and Elk Rivers that flow on either side of Elk Neck, which is a penisula and then both of those rivers flow into the Chesapeake Bay at the point of the penisula where the Turkey Point Lighthouse is located. The Susquehana River flows into the Chesapeake a several miles northwest of Elk Neck.