Air Compressor

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Texasrvers, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Does anyone have a really good air compressor that you use to air up your RV tires? We have had one or two that didn't really do the job as well as we thought they should. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 15 2008, 08:37 AM) [snapback]11207[/snapback]

Does anyone have a really good air compressor that you use to air up your RV tires? We have had one or two that didn't really do the job as well as we thought they should. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I don't have a suggestion, but you didn't mention which tires. Motorhome, 5W, auto??

If you are parked next to me, I'll be glad to provide air from my motor home airbrake system as long as you're within reach of the 100' hose. :)

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I got a great one! I forgot where I got it, it's an MVP Pro-Tech Dyna Matic 250. It's small, and it works off 12 volt, goes up to 100 pounds PSI. You plug into your car, drive your car alongside your RV, and pump the tires! I do this each time before I start off on a trip. However, since I'm too chicken to pull a car, I can't do this after I am on the road. The cord won't reach from my RV dashboard back to the tires, not long enough.

So, to get around that issue, I bought, from Costco, bright neon green thing called a "Power Station." It's pretty heavy, about the size of a small Honda Generator. As long as you keep the Power Station charged up, it can be used as an air compressor, up to 100 pounds, I think, as well as a portable power station for appliances up to 300 watts when you are boondocking. I haven't used it yet, so can't make a judgement.

IF you can find one, get something similar to that MVP Pro-Tech thingie I have. Sure beats trying to find gas stations with air!

JJ

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

RLM, The tires we want to air up are on our class A motor home. If we're ever parked within 100' of an Alfa I'll come on over and see if it's you. Thanks for the offer.

JJ, Thanks for your recommendation, but I think we need something that will go to 125psi.

Here's a little more background. First, our tires are 235-80R/22.5, big mothers. We had a portable Campbell-Hausfeld compressor that we really liked. We could charge it from a 110 plug or with the dash plug. It would go up to 110 psi and usually we could inflate several tires on one charge. It lasted several years, but of course it eventually gave out. Since then we have not been able to find a comparable model that works as well. The ones we've tried either don't go over 100psi or they will not hold a charge for very long. When you have 6 tires that gets to be very time consuming. We may have to shell out more money this time to get what we want, but before we did I thought I'd ask what other RVers were using.

Again thanks to both of you.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 15 2008, 12:43 PM) [snapback]11211[/snapback]

JJ, Thanks for your recommendation, but I think we need something that will go to 125psi.

Again thanks to both of you.

Texasrvers, I just double checked again. My neon green "Power Station" that I got from Costco will pump air up to 140 PSI. Like I said, I haven't used it yet, so I can't make a good recommendation, only that I have something that might work in your case.

As for my little MVP Pro-Tech, the owners manual says it can inflate up to 250 PSI, but I swear the guage doesn't go that high.....

Check in an auto parts store, I'm sure you can find these little 12 volt compressors.

JJ

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

So JJ, do you remember where you got your MVP Pro-Tech, or where they might be available?

7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

8. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 15 2008, 09:37 AM) [snapback]11207[/snapback]

We have a 4 gallon "pancake" unit from Sears. It runs on 110, so I can plug it into an outside plug to fill or run. It's very quiet but the best part is the dual regulator. The unit pumps up to 160 psi, but you can regulate the out put pressure to match your tire pressure. Just clip on the valve stem and go about your business without worrying about overinflation. Also, it fits comfortably in one of my less used compartments. It does a WONDERFUL job.

:D

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 15 2008, 02:08 PM) [snapback]11215[/snapback]

So JJ, do you remember where you got your MVP Pro-Tech, or where they might be available?

Hang on, I'm digging through my Quicken files. I thought I had this on my household inventory (yes, I'm one of those a**l retentive people that keep one of those....), but I don't seem to have it on there. So, I have to dig through my Quicken files, forgot what year I bought it.

Ok, I know I bought in either 2004 or 2005, because I got it when I had my first RV, but I can't seem to find it in my Quicken files.

Ok, I'm guessing I may have purchased it at Fred Meyer (Kroger if you are on the other side of the country) or perhaps some sort of Auto Parts store, like Schucks or something. It's a great little device to have for putting air in your tires! Only caveat is that it's only good for "topping off." You don't want to use it to completely fill a flat tire, that's too much for it! But this little thing is also good for filling basketballs, and stuff, it has little adaptors.

JJ

10. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

You might want to look into a CO2 system, I noticed Lowes was now selling them. I'm not sure how many tires you can air up with the little tank, but I bet it would last a while.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Wow, thanks everyone--especially JJ for going to so much trouble to find out where you bought yours. We will check out each model that has been mentioned.

PS JJ, I just may have met my match for record keeping. I thought I was good, but you put me in the shade.