Another Attempt At A Poll

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Jan 19, 2009.

?

Do you use gps?

1. always

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. often

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. seldom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. don't use gps because I don't own one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Big Ben,

I guess you are not able to apologize. I apologize for upsetting you.

Hi Jerry S.,

How chivalrous of you to defend Big Ben's rude comment.

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I didn't have a problem with Ben saying he didn't like the polls. However, I did have a problem with the "you must be bored" part. That was low! It's ok to say you don't like the polls. But to say, "you must be bored" is taking a low blow.

JJ

3. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Feb 4 2009, 03:08 AM) [snapback]15045[/snapback]

Hi Big Ben,

I guess you are not able to apologize. I apologize for upsetting you.

Hi Jerry S.,

How chivalrous of you to defend Big Ben's rude comment.

It is not that I can't apologize, I just don't think that what I wrote warrants one. Let's start a poll to see how many think that saying someone muist be bored is insulting.
    I would think that "saying some one must be bored" bothered some one' They must be very thin skinned, but then you would tell me to apologize for that.
    By the way I am bored. . The weather down here in around Ft. Myers Fl. has been terrible.
    Gosh, nowI will have to apologize to????????????.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Are we going to have another semantics disagreement? First of all, I don't see how the word "bored" is inherently insulting - at least no more so than to say you are "tired" or "hungry" or whatever. (If he had said "boring" instead of "bored", you've got a case.) I guess I just don't see how this comment is insulting or offensive. If the someone says "you must be terribly bored" to 100 people, I would think that most would confirm or deny that they are bored or asked "Why do you think I am bored?". I doubt that very many would feel insulted or offended. Apparently, some people can find anything offensive if they are determined to do so. Secondly, there is a difference between "defending" Ben's comment and disagreeing with your characterization that it was "inappropriate" in your first post and then "rude" in your second post. Next, I find this tactic of trying to censor others by claiming that comments they post offend you. As low as you have set the bar for taking umbrage at anything you disagree with as being "rude" is, at best, disconcerting.

Maybe my "rudeness" bar is too high. Recently, a respondent to a post about "big rig" owners took a previous post to be offensive. I didn't think the post they were refering to was offensive, but they did. I agreed with the many people who didn't think quoting another post to be rude, but do think using the posts on this site (without the posters knowledge) to write an article for another website to be rude. I think walking through other campsites (another thread here) is rude. I am sort of on the border between rude and not rude when it comes to making fun of the "typos" most of us make.

This disagreement is just another example of "You can't please everybody".l

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

My take - for someone to say polls are stupid, but go into a poll thread and saying someone else must be bored - how bored are you if you think polls are stupid yet participate in the thread? I know it was said in jest, but some people take everything literally.

You can't please everybody - those that post the most are the biggest targets. I personally have never been offended by any post - most of what is said is done in fun. JJ seems to always get things thrown at her, but she's a big girl and can handle it (and no, that is not an insult - big girl means a mature woman).

Now, can we go back to RV Park Reviews and Campground Discussion? At least that's what the title bar says in my browser. And I value all of your opinions regarding those subjects.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I feel the same way as "HappiestCamper". We have a small war here over a post. The point of this web site is to post good information to each other and not to cut up like a group of kids. It I see a post that is not to my taste or liking I do not bit someone head off for it. We all pick up tons of great information here and I hope it stays that way. :p

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I think part of the problem here is because we cannot hear a person's tone of voice when they make a comment. Many times how a person says something can make a big difference in the meaning of their words. Ever heard the phrase: It's not what you said, but how you said it. I think a lot of comments made on this forum are meant to be in jest but the written words don't come across that way (even when the smilies icons are included). That's why writers must choose their words carefully and readers should give a little latitude and benefit of the doubt to the comments.

8. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Well said Jerry S., could not agree with you more, have stated the same myself..........thank you..............

9. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Do'nt you just love it?? One more time. Well said Jerry.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, ok, this has gotten way out of hand, and blown way out of proportion.

Yes, the "you must be bored" comment upset me, the words came across to me like a slam, but I just took the position that I wasn't going to contribute to THIS thread any more. Thank you to those who attempted to defend me, but I would really like to just drop it........

And Texas was just doing her wonderful job as "Board Leader." It takes tact and diplomacy to be Board Leader. She does a good job.

JJ

11. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Good Grief......

12. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

while the car/toad came with OnStar, I have NEVER used it. I am thinking about getting into the box and pulling out the data for other uses.

I installed a dedicated computer in the MH with the primary reason to use Streets & Trips or MapPoint. I also use it for email and ham radio, so it is not just an expensive TomTom.

I think that I have printed maps out in the MH too, but not sure where I put them.

I even have topo maps on the computer.

www.jerichoprints.com

13. DavSuz

DavSuz
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Jan 19 2009, 05:42 PM) [snapback]14888[/snapback]

When I purchased my vehicle it came with OnStar and a years' free service. I didn't renew. I only used it a handful of times and just for the navigational service of which the few times I used it the directions were wrong. I do better with just a plain old map, LOL.

However, I am considering purchasing a hand-held GPS unit specifically for hiking...I hate compasses, LOL. And, may also start doing some geocaching. I went on a few geocaching adventures with some friends and had a blast.

Once you get a GPS, you won't leave home without it.

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DavSuz @ Feb 6 2009, 06:37 PM) [snapback]15087[/snapback]

Once you get a GPS, you won't leave home without it.

NO kidding! I used to say, "I will NEVER do GPS, because I want to use a map and using a map helps keep my brain active, won't get alzheimers, blah blah blah....." but now I have a GPS and I do NOT leave home without it.

JJ

15. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

i do a rand mc nally route. then i check a map. that works for me. in the past map quest took me out of my way where i new where i was. how bad was it doing where i didn't know.
    my son use's gps. it took him on a road. not only off course, but not really good towing a 30' trailer.
    i think i'll stay with what works for me.

16. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

A man truly needs a GPS because a woman can’t read a map.

I read a medical article the other day that stated that in one day a woman will speak twice as many words as a man. The women say that is because they have to repeat every thing twice because men don't listen the first time.

Guess it all works out in the end.

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

A man truly needs a GPS because a woman can’t read a map.

Oh wow! You have that backwards, don't you. Men need a GPS to show them directions because they are the ones that can't read a map.

I read a medical article the other day that stated that in one day a woman will speak twice as many words as a man. The women say that is because they have to repeat every thing twice because men don't listen the first time.

Now that I agree with!

In light of all the less than friendly comments that have been posted recently, let me assure everyone that I am saying all this in a very lighted hearted manner. I'm just having some fun with RLM.

18. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Feb 9 2009, 03:28 PM) [snapback]15126[/snapback]

In light of all the less than friendly comments that have been posted recently, let me assure everyone that I am saying all this in a very lighted hearted manner. I'm just having some fun with RLM.

With respect to the "less than friendly comments" I think of two adages: 1- Unkind words are like toothpaste. Easy to get out, but hard to go back in. 2- Opinions are like rear ends. Express too much of the first and one starts to look like the second.

Texasrver> I always assume it's all in fun when I'm being ribbed. Now since we're both Texans when do you want to have the gun fight - Is high noon ok? :lol:

19. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Feb 9 2009, 03:28 PM) [snapback]15126[/snapback]

Glad you did it. If you hadn't I was going to!

JJ

20. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

RLM,

High noon sounds good to me. And afterwards, if we're both still standing, we can have lunch. :D