"Base Camp" & Campgrounds for Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by williamson73, May 7, 2017.

1. williamson73

williamson73
    Expand Collapse

#1 Is it best to pick one location as "base camp" or better do more than one location? We plan on being there for about two weeks.

#2 Since the window for visiting this area is fairly small....is it hard to get into campgrounds? Is it best to have reservations ahead of time? We prefer hook-ups...any suggestions for campgrounds you love?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The east and west sides of Glacier NP are pretty far apart. The activities available are different on the two sides. For example, white water rafting is only available on the west side. Lots of people spend a few days at both.

As for reservations, if you want full hookups at any of the nicer parks I would definitely recommend getting them (pretty far) in advance.

3. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

A great base camp for the East side is Two Medicine Lakes CG. Very quiet and picturesque. I don't recall there being any hook-ups but there are multiple bathrooms (no showers) with running water and lots of spigots to enable you to re-fill your tank with potable water. Dump station at the exit.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We stayed a few days on both sides of the park. Both areas are beautiful and worth seeing, but I have to say we liked the west side the best, but that is because we like to have services available such as full hookups at the RV park, restaurants, grocery stores, shopping, etc. The east side is a little more rustic, but we were not uncomfortable there at all. It really boils down to your preferences.