Camping In Georgia Mountains

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by emoore, Jan 6, 2007.

1. emoore

emoore
    Expand Collapse

My family is considering a trip to the GA Mountains. Does anyone have any preferences for any of the state parks there? We have 2 small children. Thanks in advace.

2. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Depends on what type of camping you like. Unicoi State Park and Vogel State park are excellent campgrounds for smaller units. The sites are small and can be difficult to get into, but the campgrounds are awesome with hiking, fishing and the local towns are nice. You might also want to look at Trackrock Mountain campground. It is privately owned and the sites are nicer. There is a fishing pond, hiking and horseback riding on the site. We also like the Georgia Mountain Fair campground in Hiawassee. The views over lake Chatuge are awesome.
    Happy camping. I think vogel has the most for small kids, but the sites are small. Trackrock and Georgia Mountain fair have pretty good playgrounds.

3. jgrving

jgrving
    Expand Collapse

Fort Mountain State Park is extremely nice. One of the best in Georgia in my opinion. Also, if you are interested in crossing the State line "just a bit", one of our very favorite places is Desoto State Park in Northeastern Alabama(Ft. Payne)....www.desotostatepark.com...it is a wonderful park with beautiful scenery and a beautiful waterfall. Just a suggestion.

4. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Georgie Mountain Campground in Hiawassee. It's actually a county park rather than a state park.

I also like Trackrock, but it is commercial. I prefer the top of the hill where all the sites are pull thru and large.

If you are looking for mountains then I would suggest that you go north on I-985 toward Dillard. That is in a three state area (GA, NC, SC) where you can take your pick of mountains.

Rich

5. bigweave30

bigweave30
    Expand Collapse